Nov. 2023 Yellow Line Collision

Busjack

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

At least according to the riders interviewed by the media. Using 97 as a proxy, it''s 32 minutes from Dempster to Howard, while the Yellow Line might have gone from a scheduled 9 minutes to 13.

One fool interviewed by Channel 7 says she's actually scared to ride it, but will! 

45 minutes ago, Jackson232 said:

13 mins isn’t bad but I don’t think they should have lowered the speed.

While I don't agree with the speed reduction either, in these times something has to be done to appease the Feds and the people.  Give it 6 months to a year or so, and I think eventually the speeds will climb back up on most of the route.

19 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

While I don't agree with the speed reduction either, in these times something has to be done to appease the Feds and the people.  Give it 6 months to a year or so, and I think eventually the speeds will climb back up on most of the route.

Yeah, the CTA is being safe which is good. I do think it will eventually go back up to 55

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Give it 6 months to a year or so, and I think eventually the speeds will climb back up on most of the route.

By then, the final NTSB report will be out. But given the history of CTA mess ups leading to the apparently inconceivable accidents, a modicum of caution is preferable. As I said above, the foamer community isn't going to pay the inevitable personal injury claims or the $9 million in property damage.

And now MTA is dealing with a collision that recently occurred in a subway on the Upper West Side.  An out of service train rear ended a passenger train causing both to derail .  Even though there were two crew members in the front of the 10 car out of service train, the train was being driven ( pushed) from the 5th car by another crew member because the brakes were cut out from the first five cars.  Apparently that train was in service but a passenger was pulling the emergency brakes on some of the cars.  Crews had to reset the brakes but the brakes from car #3 wouldn't reset.  Rail control had the crew remove all the passengers,  then cut out the brakes on the first 5 cars and then take the train to the Yard.   But the accident occurred.   

2 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

Real soon watch when commuters complain a bit about the reduced speeds they’ll definitely go back to 55 MPH. 

Everyone complains, but you seem to be the kind of CTA employee that causes these kinds of collisions. Sorry I had to say that.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

And now MTA is dealing with a collision that recently occurred in a subway on the Upper West Side.  An out of service train rear ended a passenger train causing both to derail ....

Didn't I say to our former New York "savant" that something like that would not be prevented if CTA installed the 50 year technologically obsolete cab signal system that MTA is now in the process of installing?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Everyone complains, but you seem to be the kind of CTA employee that causes these kinds of collisions. Sorry I had to say that.

Didn't I say to our former New York "savant" that something like that would not be prevented if CTA installed the 50 year technologically obsolete cab signal system that MTA is now in the process of installing?

The NYC problem was caused by them still having emergency stop cords in every car that any loon of a passenger can pull & that's exactly what happened to start it.  CTA got rid of their emergency cords decades ago.

38 minutes ago, strictures said:

The NYC problem was caused by them still having emergency stop cords in every car that any loon of a passenger can pull & that's exactly what happened to start it.  CTA got rid of their emergency cords decades ago.

• The signal system still should have detected the stop, if it were not 107 years out of date. Note that I said "would not have been prevented," not "the immediate of concurrent causes."
  • I believe CTA still has the red ball.
  • We've gone off the track.

10 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

Real soon watch when commuters complain a bit about the reduced speeds they’ll definitely go back to 55 MPH. 

13 hours ago, Jackson232 said:

Yeah, the CTA is being safe which is good. I do think it will eventually go back up to 55

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Might be quicker than 6 months. Orange line speeds were restored in like 2-4 

11 hours ago, Busjack said:
  • I believe CTA still has the red ball.

If you mean the ball to open the doors in an emergency, then yes, but there's no emergency stop cord, although pulling the cherry to open the doors will stop the train.

I've only seen the cherry pulled twice while the train was running, once an idiot pulled it to get off at the Harrison subway station when it was a B station & I was on an A train & the other time two morons pulled it to get off at the old Wilson platform on a NB  train expressing pass it.  They rolled along the platform & almost fell onto the SB track 2.

39 minutes ago, strictures said:

If you mean the ball to open the doors in an emergency, then yes, but there's no emergency stop cord, although pulling the cherry to open the doors will stop the train.

My point, so a distinction without a difference.

I just saw a retrospective on big snowstorms, and concluded that it isn't a coincidence that it was a 1981 model snowplow that the Yellow Line train hit (hint, 1979 snowstorm that shut down the Skokie Swift and damaged the undercar equipment on the Lake-Dan Ryan).