4 car Yellow Line train

strictures

On 12/9/2020 at 10:19 PM, strictures said:

It can also use the Evanston turnback, which is four cars long. 

I saw a four car Skokie train just last week, when I went to Linden & the Skokie train came first. 

My guess is that the winter weather problems are due to operating in an open cut through most of Evanston & snow must really pile up at times.

Traction and power thing as far as Skokie have 4 cars. Evanston is a case of operating with the max amount of cars as done with the rest of the system to assist with clearing the tracks and scraping the third rail

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Traction and power thing as far as Skokie have 4 cars. Evanston is a case of operating with the max amount of cars as done with the rest of the system to assist with clearing the tracks and scraping the third rail

Side benefit.   During this pandemic  4 cars on Yellow allows people to spread out.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:40 PM, artthouwill said:

Side benefit.   During this pandemic  4 cars on Yellow allows people to spread out.

9 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Dempster cannot berth 4 cars

Yeah as far as I remember 2 cars are always cut out for that reason depending on direction of travel. The 2 cars are basically extra weight for momentum 

On 2/10/2018 at 11:14 AM, BusHunter said:

Plus if there's any issues with the motors and the snow or any icing issues you have a backup duece in case you should get stuck. Cars take a lot of abuse in the winter on the swift, you can see that just looking at the cars.

They are built to take abuse

18 minutes ago, Railfan said:

They are built to take abuse

I think it's the constant high speed. At least motors in the current age cars have all been sealed/winterized. CTA learned there lesson from 1999. If there are any issues it would probably be with the third rail and shoes. At least it doesnt get the salt spray on the ryan or kennedy. So that's a positive. 

• 2 years later...