Millennium Transit--The RTS is back

Crusing the same site that mentioned the really weird CTA bus, I saw entries that Millennium Transit transit was developing an RTS low floor bus. Millennium Transit now has a web site that confirms this: http://www.millenniumtransit.net/. Apparently they bought the NovaBus Roswell, N.M. facility, and are bringing back the RTS, and developing a low floor bus, to be called the RTS Extreme, and a paratransit vehicle called the RTS Evolution (apparently a similar concept to the ElDorado National paratransit buses used by Pace, but with an RTS body).

Some notable points:

• This confirms that the RTS is what GMC took away from the Transbus project, except that the RTS was standard floor (as indicated the in preceding Transbus thread).
  • NovaBus ended RTS production, because the demand for standard floor buses no longer was there (according to them). They had the LFS low floor, but as the CTA order proved, that couldn't be produced on time and in a profitable manner for the U.S. transit market (sound familiar)?
  • We're getting old. The New Look got square windows and became the "Classic," and now the traditional RTS is the "Legend."

I am glad that there is hope that this model will still be around for awhile. Next to the GMC Fishbowls, which are my favorite (probably because they were really the 1st new buses I knew about in my lifetime), I like the RTS's a lot too, because they actually look like a city transit bus !!!

One reason I don't care for the Novas, is because they look like spaceships. The old retired MAN's and Flyers were boxes. At least the RTS looks like a good old fashioned bus. The Original Orion's were the last bus to look like that. The NABI's and the Orion VI's are boxy too.

Some links to RTS Extreme photos: right side, left side.

But to digress....

At least the RTS looks like a good old fashioned bus. The Original Orion's were the last bus to look like that.

I don't think that the RTS and NovaLFS look that different (except the Nova has more of a front overhang, to accommodate the larger front door). However, talk about old fashioned, the front of the Orion I (without the destination sign box) sure resembles the WWII White 798 (before our time), including the metal going up and down the middle of the front and the sign that makes the top of the windshield lower than the top of the side windows.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe the 42.5 foot Extreme will fill the role of the late Compobus.  

United Airlines has (or had) a 45 foot Neoplan bus with transit type door configuration. I have seen this in the Elk Grove area near their headquarters. I don't know if other properties have purchased it. I think this bus could also fill that space in the market.

• 3 months later...

Is it just me or did the RTS Extreme photos (per Busjack's links) look like a model?

There was a lot of speculation as to the authenticity of those photos, but as Busjack mentioned, the real thing was at the APTA expo in Dallas.  Here's the real thing, from Trevor Logan's TransiTalk.info:

(Photos Removed)

FWIW, Trevor was also the original poster of the "model" photos.

I'm not sure who makes this RTS, but if it show promise sales-wise and stays in the market when the CTA is ready to order more new buses, they may place an order for some of these.

What engine type will these vehicles have? Will they be Detroit Diesels(like the TMC RTS 08's have), or will they be Cummins Diesels?

What do you folks think of the ceiling in the "low" section vs that of Nova, New Flyer, Orion VI, and NABI low floor buses? I think it is strange.

Orion VIs have a low ceiling from the back of the front door all the way to the rear, apparently designed to hide the CNG tanks on the Toronto ones. There is a "low clearance" sign on the ceiling at the steps to the rear.

If the RTS isn't hiding roof equipment, the only advantage of the low ceiling is to get the ads closer to the riders. Also, the straphanger rails are on small brackets from the ceiling, but I suppose that they could have been brought lower on the stanchions.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure who makes this RTS, but if it show promise sales-wise and stays in the market when the CTA is ready to order more new buses, they may place an order for some of these.

What engine type will these vehicles have? Will they be Detroit Diesels(like the TMC RTS 08's have), or will they be Cummins Diesels?

I live in Chicago and RTS are my main favorite transit bus all times, I really hoping that CTA or Pace will order some of these MTS RTS buses if they retire the rest of those TMC RTS 08 which Im hope not, but seems that those orders of New Flyers that CTA is ordering are replacing some of them, hopely next order will be Millennium Transit RTS otherwise I'll move to another city who has newer RTS buses like Dallas or New Jersey.

They will have to be low bidder, have a low floor bus, and apparently prove (after the NABIs) that they are responsible. Also, the next CTA procurement probably won't be until about 2010. Hence, I don't see any confluence.

I am glad that there is hope that this model will still be around for awhile. Next to the GMC Fishbowls, which are my favorite (probably because they were really the 1st new buses I knew about in my lifetime), I like the RTS's a lot too, because they actually look like a city transit bus !!!

One reason I don't care for the Novas, is because they look like spaceships. The old retired MAN's and Flyers were boxes. At least the RTS looks like a good old fashioned bus. The Original Orion's were the last bus to look like that. The NABI's and the Orion VI's are boxy too.

Those New Flyer are a total boxy along with the Flxibles, I am very tired of those New Flyers, Im hope that after 600 complete order of them to replace the entire Older Flxible buses, they'll will not order anymore of em. Chicago deserves to have different types of buses like New York and Los Angeles and Mostly big cities in Canada. Hopelly soon that They'll order Millennium Transit RTS buses to keep the RTSes alive in Chi-Town if retiring those 4400 series TMC, but unfortuately They are my main favorite CTA Buses. I do not like riding Low Floor buses that much but I do love Nova Low Floors (6400 series) Though.

Some links to RTS Extreme photos: right side, left side.

But to digress....

I don't think that the RTS and NovaLFS look that different (except the Nova has more of a front overhang, to accommodate the larger front door). However, talk about old fashioned, the front of the Orion I (without the destination sign box) sure resembles the WWII White 798 (before our time), including the metal going up and down the middle of the front and the sign that makes the top of the windshield lower than the top of the side windows.

At least when the Orion Is are retiring now, There are others that are 3 years younger than the (4900 series) are still running for Pace (2200-2300 series) 1993 Orion I from Evanston and Other North Suburban garages around O'Hare area. They are still looking good and hopelly they'll stick around longer for Standard fan riders.

Those New Flyer are a total boxy along with the Flxibles, I am very tired of those New Flyers, Im hope that after 600 complete order of them to replace the entire Older Flxible buses, they'll will not order anymore of em. Chicago deserves to have different types of buses like New York and Los Angeles and Mostly big cities in Canada. Hopelly soon that They'll order Millennium Transit RTS buses to keep the RTSes alive in Chi-Town if retiring those 4400 series TMC, but unfortuately They are my main favorite CTA Buses. I do not like riding Low Floor buses that much but I do love Nova Low Floors (6400 series) Though.

Actually, as of mid-May 2007, the CTA has exercised its two options to complete the New Flyer order. Thus, all 1,050 New Flyer buses -- 1,030 of the D40LF buses, plus the 20 hybrid DE40LF buses -- either have now been delivered or are on order and awaiting delivery.

New York hasn't ordered Millenium RTSes, and New Jersey isn't happy with theirs.
Has anyone other than New Jersey made any order of any significance? Google doesn't indicate any. NABI's site indicates that it is now searching for New Jersey suppliers for an "upcoming contract." pace2322 will be pleased to hear that. :D

Three buses to Pueblo, CO and conversion of 25 TMCs from El Paso from diesel to CNG. I've heard the latter isn't happy with the work; no word on the former.

RIPTA, are you from Rhode Island, If you are what current buses do RIPTA has, I heard that they have 2000 model RTSes as the latest, maybe I should come up there to drive them if CTA retires TMC RTS, I love RTS as my favorite bus.

• 1 month later...

The internet scuttlebutt is that Millennium defaulted on the New Jersey Transit contract, and NABI got the order for high floor buses. The only thing official on the NJT site is NJT TRANSIT BOARD APPROVES PURCHASE OF 1,145 NEW BUSES EQUIPPED WITH ON-BOARD CAMERA SYSTEMS, without saying to whom the contract was awarded. However, I found the following fan sites for whatever they are worth:

Of course, as previously mentioned, NABI had a notice on its site about an upcoming New Jersey contract.

So, so much for those who thought Millennium was the answer to your old school dreams.