7200 series Mack Buses

trainman8119

Is there any kind of information around about the old 7200 series Mack buses. What I remember about them is that I used to see them on Western ave when I was a kid in the 60's and then when Jefferson Park opened in 1970, they showed up at Forest Glen and ran pretty much on Lawrence and Central for a short time and then disappeared, I think when the GMC fishbowls arrived. If not the first series (1000's), then when the 7400's arrived at North Park and then Flxibles (3700's) were sent over.

I have seen some pics on the links which showed they were on the south side. How long were these buses around and how were they in terms of service, maintenance, etc.

I was born in 1954 and lived in Woodlawn until moving to Chatham in 1959. Between 1954 and 1972 I have ridden (or been carried upon) 7200 Mack buses on these routes 59th/61st, 74th/75th, 67th/69th/71st, South Damen, Ashland, 79th, Cottage Grove. That would represent the old 69th and Ashland garage and the 77th and Vincinnes garage. I don't think there were many Mack buses running out of 77th and Vincinnes though.

I liked the buses(as a passenger) but you probably need to hear from some operators to get the real story.

• 2 months later...

The short description of their service history on the St. Petersberg web site was:

In 1956, Mack, seeking to stay in the bus business, put in a low bid which permitted the CTA to take C-49 coaches on a lease-purchase agreement. 100 units, numbered 7200-7299 in the CTA roster were delivered to Chicago between December 1956 and April 1957. They had EN-510A modified propane engine and double rear push doors. Coaches 7200-7249 went to 69th street to service on lines 9/Ashland and 63/63 Street ; 7250-7299 were used on the conversion of CTA's last rail line 22A/Wentworth in June 1958. After 10 years of lease payments, the agency took title in 1967. In late 1960s the remaining Macks were assigned to 77th Street largely for tripper service;  all were withdrawn in early 1972.

I sent the following update to Leoind, most of which has been incorporated in the current description

The description is  generally right but the 69th jobs saw extensive

service on Western as well as Ashland (lived on Ashland at the time).

In fact as time wore on they would show up on any 69th St. route

especially after the 2700s were gone, including the 110 and S. Damen.

Ditto for the 77th based jobs as they roamed the entire 77th

assigned routes. For a number of years, '61-62 they were fixtures

on 79th and sometimes were the only type on 79A west 79th. (watched

them out the window of my school). So buses from both groups rubbed

shoulders at the 79th/Western loop. Most did not end their lives at

77th but moved on to Forest Glenn to replace trolley buses on

Lawrence and Central Ave. thus having replaced 2 generations of

electric transit in Chicago. I have a photo of 7265 at

Forest Glenn in 1970.

This should answer most of your questions.  In my view they were the most fun buses to ride on the system.

Although many claim that they were slow they seem to accelerate slow but were fast when they got going.  A late evening trip on 79A would often go with out stopping from Western to Kedzie, they seemed to really move there.  They made unique sounds as well, the air ride would seem to over compensate when someone got on and the bus would rock back and forth for a minute or 2.  The transmission also made wounderful sounds when shifting.  LOVED 'em.

The North Side drivers on the jointly operated routes (like Western and Ashland) claimed to hate them when and if they got one from 69th on an exchange.  Probably just not something they were used to.

Do have photos if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

The short description of their service history on the St. Petersberg web site was:

In 1956, Mack, seeking to stay in the bus business, put in a low bid which permitted the CTA to take C-49 coaches on a lease-purchase agreement. 100 units, numbered 7200-7299 in the CTA roster were delivered to Chicago between December 1956 and April 1957. They had EN-510A modified propane engine and double rear push doors. Coaches 7200-7249 went to 69th street to service on lines 9/Ashland and 63/63 Street ; 7250-7299 were used on the conversion of CTA's last rail line 22A/Wentworth in June 1958. After 10 years of lease payments, the agency took title in 1967. In late 1960s the remaining Macks were assigned to 77th Street largely for tripper service; all were withdrawn in early 1972.

I sent the following update to Leoind, most of which has been incorporated in the current description

The description is generally right but the 69th jobs saw extensive

service on Western as well as Ashland (lived on Ashland at the time).

In fact as time wore on they would show up on any 69th St. route

especially after the 2700s were gone, including the 110 and S. Damen.

Ditto for the 77th based jobs as they roamed the entire 77th

assigned routes. For a number of years, '61-62 they were fixtures

on 79th and sometimes were the only type on 79A west 79th. (watched

them out the window of my school). So buses from both groups rubbed

shoulders at the 79th/Western loop. Most did not end their lives at

77th but moved on to Forest Glenn to replace trolley buses on

Lawrence and Central Ave. thus having replaced 2 generations of

electric transit in Chicago. I have a photo of 7265 at

Forest Glenn in 1970.

This should answer most of your questions. In my view they were the most fun buses to ride on the system.

Although many claim that they were slow they seem to accelerate slow but were fast when they got going. A late evening trip on 79A would often go with out stopping from Western to Kedzie, they seemed to really move there. They made unique sounds as well, the air ride would seem to over compensate when someone got on and the bus would rock back and forth for a minute or 2. The transmission also made wounderful sounds when shifting. LOVED 'em.

The North Side drivers on the jointly operated routes (like Western and Ashland) claimed to hate them when and if they got one from 69th on an exchange. Probably just not something they were used to.

Do have photos if you're interested.

I tell you, those CTA Mack Buses were really something, weren't they? I used to ride on one of them when they were on different CTA south side routes when I was a little boy! Anyone else experienced the CTA Macks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any kind of information around about the old 7200 series Mack buses. What I remember about them is that I used to see them on Western ave when I was a kid in the 60's and then when Jefferson Park opened in 1970, they showed up at Forest Glen and ran pretty much on Lawrence and Central for a short time and then disappeared, I think when the GMC fishbowls arrived. If not the first series (1000's), then when the 7400's arrived at North Park and then Flxibles (3700's) were sent over.

I have seen some pics on the links which showed they were on the south side. How long were these buses around and how were they in terms of service, maintenance, etc.

Are we talking CTA Mack Buses 7200-7299? I sure do miss those old things!

• 1 month later...

I tell you, those CTA Mack Buses were really something, weren't they? I used to ride on one of them when they were on different CTA south side routes when I was a little boy! Anyone else experienced the CTA Macks?

Yes.

And I have pictures.

post-724-13049996303835_thumb.jpg

This is CTA 7225 out of 69th Street working the 59 59-61 Street line. Here, it's at Damen Avenue coming east.

69th assigned the Macks to lesser 'crosstowns' like the old 55th Street line, 59/61 Street, 67/69/71st Street, Marquette, and South Damen. These held down weekday service, and had funky little Johnson 'J' series fareboxes that looked like parking meters, and only accepted quarters and large tokens. The procedure was, if you didn't have a solid quarter, or if you were paying a student/child fare, you gave your money to the bus operator, and he gave you the proper coin to put into the farebox.

The buses had a low moan to them. They were two speed, and to shift down into direct drive, you had to remove your foot from the accelerator. The bus would shift, and you'd resume acceleration. These buses were horrible slow, and probably governed at 40. The front signs were often off kilter or incorrect as they would 'roll' during a trip. The best place to ride these were on the 59 line right at Dorchester, where the route goes up to Midway Plaisance going toward Stony Island. It was a bumpy bouncy ride.

post-724-13050004435343_thumb.jpg

CTA 7277 (photo credit to Jim Husing) was out of 77th Street. For a long time, the Macks were South Siders. 69th got about half, and 77th the other. This one is working the 42 Halsted Downtown (a.k.a. Halsted/Archer) Methinks this is Southbound at Clark and Roosevelt (someone correct me if I'm wrong). 77th Street Macks were mostly on tripper routes like the 42, but one could see them on State Street, The State Limited, South Park (South Park ran almost anything and everything), The South Park Express (until the 3700s showed up in 1968), 71st Street, and 74/75th Street lines (yes, 71 and 75 were 77th Street assignments once upon a timetable). They would also be seen on the old 89 Yates - 95th and 24 Windsor Park.

Oh, the 77th Street buses had Johnson 'K' series fareboxes that were on pedestals. Around '67, maybe '68, they put Johnson K-25s on them. Same fareboxes as on all the 3000s. Just an updated version of the original 'K's. CTA went exact fare in 1970, and the 69th Street buses got sea-foam green Duncan fareboxes, while 77th got modified Johnsons.

When Jefferson Park opened in 1970, several Macks were sent up there from the 69th Street Garage. By early 1973, when The Glen got their new "Fishies" (1100s - 1200s), their Macks quickly dissapeared. 77th continued to use theirs until late in the game. I might guess when they got the last of the 1000 series order...so, that would have been the 1500s in the summer of 1973.

When the Macks were delivered, they were cream and green. The "Alpine White and Forest Green" didn't appear until 1968-69.

Hi All;

The pic in Wolfman's post showing the Mack at 59th and Damen reminds me of my high

school days. I graduated from Lindblom in 1972 and rode them on routes 50A,59,and 63.

:) Gene King

Hi Gene!

Go Eagles!

Cool! I rarely saw the Macks on 63rd Street, but that doesn't mean they weren't there.

My recollection of 63rd was 55-5600s (Flxible Old Looks) and the 87-8800 Propanes.

The westbound headsigns were rarely adjusted right. Buses going all the way out to Narragansett were always (it seemed) split readings. Oddly because of the way CTA formatted the signs. One reading was "via 63" and the other was "via 65". So the signs were either crooked, or off center.

CVS Grad here, btw.

Loved the 85-8600s on Jeffery. B)

At least plausable. However, I would also like to see the "Halsted Archer" or "Halsted Downtown" side sign.

One the other hand, I had absolutely no problem with the North Ave New Look replica. I seem to remember that 5750 did, though.

South Park might be realistic, but 13 is not, since (now) King Drive doesn't go north of Cermak (22nd).

Now, if it had been 3 South Park-Downtown, I would have accepted that.

Aw, give them a break. It's a foreign company trying to replicate a vintage bus in 'N' scale.

The 'N' scale lacks much of the detail that the Corgi 'O' scale models do.

Knowing destination signage the way I do, no, there was no South Park (or King Drive) readings for 13th Street. Be happy as an 'N' scale model it even has a destination header, and that they acknowledge the South Park line at all. I remember the South Park signs on Macks. The "Downtown" reading was very condensed lettering. You'd have a bad case of eye strain. I'd give them an "E" for effort. At the very least, they didn't just put something generic like "Downtown" on the destinator.

Better? rolleyes.gif

wrb49g.jpg

I bought a huge lot of these n scale buses. I plan to build a bus garage/yard on my N scale layout. Preferably try to replicate North Ave., my dad's garage! Along with the N scale CSL "Peter Witt" trolleys Bachmann released, my ConCor Metra/CNW bilevel car collection, a Metra custom painted F40 and the Kato Metra release coming out soon! Im going to have a very good Chicago representation on my layout. Im also going to have CTA buses in service on my layout. Cant wait to try it out! :)

For all you Mack lovers... Run out (now) and stock up on the Wheels of Time N-gauge Macks. They're available in a ton of liveries. The CTA liveried ones come with your choice of several numbers, as well as unmarked. Buy yourself a fleet; they're fun!

sn2pfq.jpg

Where Can You Buy These Things Or Can You Order Them Off The Internet? Wonder if you have CTA Mack Bus Number 7273, 7294, or 7205?

Where Can You Buy These Things Or Can You Order Them Off The Internet? Wonder if you have CTA Mack Bus Number 7273, 7294, or 7205?

Got mine on eBay, but a while ago, so I don't remember the seller... although I'm pretty sure it was a hobby shop in Chicago. I've seen them a lot at toy shows, too, so they must be available/orderable. Check wheelsoftime.com Have 7200, 7206, 7267, and 7290.

Got mine on eBay, but a while ago, so I don't remember the seller... although I'm pretty sure it was a hobby shop in Chicago. I've seen them a lot at toy shows, too, so they must be available/orderable. Check wheelsoftime.com Have 7200, 7206, 7267, and 7290.

I tried that(wheelsoftime.com)but got no luck! Couldn't find search engine to look for the buses!

Yes.

And I have pictures.

post-724-13049996303835_thumb.jpg

This is CTA 7225 out of 69th Street working the 59 59-61 Street line. Here, it's at Damen Avenue coming east.

69th assigned the Macks to lesser 'crosstowns' like the old 55th Street line, 59/61 Street, 67/69/71st Street, Marquette, and South Damen. These held down weekday service, and had funky little Johnson 'J' series fareboxes that looked like parking meters, and only accepted quarters and large tokens. The procedure was, if you didn't have a solid quarter, or if you were paying a student/child fare, you gave your money to the bus operator, and he gave you the proper coin to put into the farebox.

The buses had a low moan to them. They were two speed, and to shift down into direct drive, you had to remove your foot from the accelerator. The bus would shift, and you'd resume acceleration. These buses were horrible slow, and probably governed at 40. The front signs were often off kilter or incorrect as they would 'roll' during a trip. The best place to ride these were on the 59 line right at Dorchester, where the route goes up to Midway Plaisance going toward Stony Island. It was a bumpy bouncy ride.

post-724-13050004435343_thumb.jpg

CTA 7277 (photo credit to Jim Husing) was out of 77th Street. For a long time, the Macks were South Siders. 69th got about half, and 77th the other. This one is working the 42 Halsted Downtown (a.k.a. Halsted/Archer) Methinks this is Southbound at Clark and Roosevelt (someone correct me if I'm wrong). 77th Street Macks were mostly on tripper routes like the 42, but one could see them on State Street, The State Limited, South Park (South Park ran almost anything and everything), The South Park Express (until the 3700s showed up in 1968), 71st Street, and 74/75th Street lines (yes, 71 and 75 were 77th Street assignments once upon a timetable). They would also be seen on the old 89 Yates - 95th and 24 Windsor Park.

Oh, the 77th Street buses had Johnson 'K' series fareboxes that were on pedestals. Around '67, maybe '68, they put Johnson K-25s on them. Same fareboxes as on all the 3000s. Just an updated version of the original 'K's. CTA went exact fare in 1970, and the 69th Street buses got sea-foam green Duncan fareboxes, while 77th got modified Johnsons.

When Jefferson Park opened in 1970, several Macks were sent up there from the 69th Street Garage. By early 1973, when The Glen got their new "Fishies" (1100s - 1200s), their Macks quickly dissapeared. 77th continued to use theirs until late in the game. I might guess when they got the last of the 1000 series order...so, that would have been the 1500s in the summer of 1973.

When the Macks were delivered, they were cream and green. The "Alpine White and Forest Green" didn't appear until 1968-69.

Thanks For Showing Those CTA Macks Pics! Have you got some more interesting CTA Mack Pics?