Novas

trainman8119

Why does it seem to me that these buses Pace has seems to be ignored. I was at Pace when these buses came in and there was not much hoopla about them like the NABI's get or even the Orion VI's. I think even the El Dorado's (2500's) got more fanfare. I still haven't rode on one of these, maybe they are junk...but from an appearance stance, I like that they look similar to the GMC Fishbowls. I know that the inside are set up for the express service, with the high back seats, so they would be a touch more comfortable than the standard seats that are on most buses. I was able to check out those kind of seats when 2122, 23 and 24 were at Fox Valley and I drove em on the old 737 route. Don't even see many pics for these buses either. It all came to mind when I was looking at venom's Pittsburgh pics.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got a big roll-out when the Metra North Central Service was inaugurated, and were on display at several stations (I saw them at Wheeling). At about the same time, they showed up unannounced on 636 and 835. Most of the pictures are of 835, since it is the only one that comes near downtown. After routes 636, 960 and 961 [the 960s were Metra midday and Saturday replacement routes] proved unsuccessful (and I assume, lost CMAQ funding), Northwest's were transferred to routes 767 (West--2398-2400), 877, and 888 (South), which were routes that Pace took over from Pauline Transportation. After the MCIs took over 877 and 888, 2390-2397 went to North Shore, to replace the 8900s. One would have thought that they would have stayed at South to cover 355, but that wasn't the case. Also, at that time, they didn't replace the 2120s on 626, although now most 626 service is provided by them.

Hence, while they got some fanfare when they had a unique purpose, now they just seem to be oddballs shifted around the system.

I also predict that more will be shifted around when the Southwest Service Metra upgrade opens and route 835 won't be needed any more.

P.S.The Classics are essentially a 1985 Canadian rework of the Fishbowl. New York City bought a lot of them, but at the time of the Pace purchase, there were questions in the newspapers in Buffalo and Rochester (which had purchased some of the same batch from Nova) whether they met Buy America requirements.

Some of those buses have break and transmission malfunctions. I rode a 626 from Northbrook in December 2003 and an 835 last spring to Orland Square, and that it sounds like the bus either has: 1) Transmission stalls when shifting up, and 2) Brake pads are shot a smidge because braking seemed to be loud as hell--abnormal for any typical transit bus.

I personally like them anyway.

There are probably so few pictures of them because there are only 22 of them :). There's almost always a 626 laying over at the Skokie Swift terminal; that's where I've gotten my only shots of them.

The Classic was orignally a 1983 GM product in Canada. The front clip actually entered production a year earlier, used on the 1982 articulated Fishbowls.

The transmissions in our classics have a scratching sound when it shifts to second gear. It really gets annoying after awhile. It's not all of them but, they all seem to have lots of power. Port authority seems to have been rehabing alot whole lot of our older buses with new paint schemes and interiors. we have 170 of them numbered 2600-2770.

• 1 month later...

835 is run when SWS trains don't. The SWS expansion is basically completed and I believe is slated to be running later this year or at the latest, early next year. So, needless to say, that would spell the end of the 835.

Metra has been hiring trainmen off the charts in anticipation of the SWS and NCS expansions. NCS will happen sometime in December (or Metra loses a big chunk of grant money).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not suprised they are getting rid of the 835...

...question is now, what routes are going to place them on?

You already use them on the 626, but now, it seems that if you keep them southwest, you'd have to put it on the 834 or 835, as it seems...

...or take all of them to North Shore and let them have their way with it.

My guess is West. They are already running a few of them on 747, and if you shift the 11 that are now on 835, that would almost, but not quite, eliminate the Ikarus buses (the 2004 roster said there were 68, and approximately 53 were or should have been displaced by the blue NABIs, the other 7 having gone to North Shore). There is a proposal to expand 747 through West Chicago, dependent on federal funding.

I would like to see more of these in Chicago.  

Not very likely, as Nova doesn't make them any more (and doesn't sell to the U.S. transit market, either). According to their site, the only product is the LFS, although a suburban version is now being made.

As indicated in the Who "Specs Out" CTA and Pace Buses? thread, the Standard Bus Procurement Guidelines state that the floor is to be flat to the back door, and seating is to be maximized (unless the operator selects longitudinal seats). The rear false floor is basically needed so riders can reach the seats over the rear wheel wells. The Orion VIs present a similar situation. Some Canadian properties bought Orion VIs with the exit door behind the rear wheel, and it was reported that in this configuration, there are only about 27 seats.

I'm beginning to concur the use of the Nova's to the 355 route, since I don't think that with standing capacity and the route obviously going 10+ miles from Downtown to Hegewisch/Dolton, one would think utilizing the Novas for long distance routes would be productive to passengers spending $3+ for the trip and expect to sit down.

I think perhaps, since the 835 would go bye bye, and since the 877/888 trips are mainly used (not always the case) with the 6900s, best idea is to put them on the 355, the 626, or if Keeshin/Colonial (last time I checked, Colonial) gives up any of the lower 600 routes, put them there.

I suppose that Pace could take 12 Novas from Heritage and West (after the 767 cutback and 835 elimination) and shift 6205-6217 to West. Would make sense from a passenger standpoint, but I wouldn't bet on it, given that South could have retained 2390-2397 in the first place.

Hey that will be find with me.The less Nabis we have the better off south is.And pace is just like metra there dont know where to put what bus were now.Just like we have 35ft nabis here u might as well gave us some vans to used.U cant run the 35 ft at south on any route.Aine the buses have less and less seats all the route dowm here at south need more buses.And then theres the days when there cut the run thats in front of u. So now u have two bus Full of people now.But thats what u get when u have most junk down here.( ie any nabi)

• 3 months later...

As I predicted in Post #2, Pace is cancelling 835, presumably because of the upgrade to the Southwest service.

Spoke too soon; apparently those at the public hearing persuaded the staff to retain some runs, even though it competes with Metra to a certain extent; need to see if the Board accepts this proposal.

Well next year pace is going to sell them.

What are them (Nova 2379-2400)? With what would they run the North Shore routes (and 835, if they don't kill it) then? Consider also that the Novas' 12 year service life doesn't end until 2009 and Pace says all of its capital is tied up for the next two years on the ElDorado EZ Rider II contract (the firm part of which is about enough to replace the 1920s (Chance R52), remaining 2000s (1990 Orion I) in DuPage, and 2500s (ElDorado Transmark), but nothing else). We need more details.

P.S. Remember, you also said that the 2100s were all dead, but I saw 2122, 2125, and 2128 running on North Shore routes after that.

The novas dont need new replacements there were For all the metra routes.As u see all the metra routes are getting cut.And at south we are talking about cutting the 355 next.So if there do that we have more buses not used.Btw there want to have one trip onr the 877 and 888 to so then there olny nedd one mci.So we will have all the mci and no rts to used them on what are we going to do used them on the 352 lol with 1 door have fun.

Undoubtedly, there will be some cuts as a result of the South Suburban Initiative, but it is a leap to go from that to Pace is selling off buses, especially when most of them (2390 to 2400) are still being used in the North Shore and West divisions, and were taken off Metra routes (960 and 961) about 7 years ago, and there are still a number of 1990 Orions and 1992 Ikarus that need to be replaced.