Hybrid bus

Busjack

The bus entered service on 8 - Halsted on Friday morning (6/20). I caught it northbound at Halsted about 11:50am. There are 28 seats with all except two in the low floor section being bench type.

With only 28 seats, sounds like the capacity of an Orion VI...were you able to get a sense whether it was a 35 foot or 40 foot bus?

i am sure it is 35'.

Would affect an assessment whether it is twice as efficient as a normal bus. Not, if its seating capacity is 22% less than a normal 40 foot bus (low as that now is) and there isn't corresponding standing room. Actual results may differ if CTA orders 40 foot buses based on this sample.

Halsted should also show whether this bus has sufficient capacity, although I see that your picture had a 1000 immediately following it (was it causing bus bunching???).

Honestly to me the design of this bus looks like the NASA Mars Rover found it in a crater somewhere.

Looking at the windshield though it looks like the slant towards the curb makes it easier for the driver to see the curb and passengers.

My assumption and opinion is that seeing how technology changes as time progresses, the looks and feels of that same piece of technology change with it (take computers for example, how they use to be so big and bulky back in the past, now some can be as thin as 1 in.), so I'm not surprised that buses are starting to change their formal looks into more modern styles, but I must say, we do have to spend some time getting used to them! ;)

My assumption and opinion is that seeing how technology changes as time progresses, the looks and feels of that same piece of technology change with it (take computers for example, how they use to be so big and bulky back in the past, now some can be as thin as 1 in.), so I'm not surprised that buses are starting to change their formal looks into more modern styles, but I must say, we do have to spend some time getting used to them! ;)

Just because technology progresses doesn't mean aesthetics should go out the window.

Thats true. After all, try to bring in a 1950 style bus now and it would look really out of place too. (Although there would be many happy busfans.) Now there are so many different things to include in buses that were not thought of at all in the past, like ADA, tracking devices, electronic fare media, vandal resistant interiors, emissions regulations, etc. 50 years from now these DesignLine styles will probably be the norm and that "totally boxy retro-city thing" will be the newbie again.

I found Design Line's spec sheet. The spec is for a 40 foot bus, but is says 30 and 35 are available.

Was the one you saw much smaller than indicated in the spec?

The demo vehicle is 35'. The spec sheet shows seats ahead of the front wheels which were not present. There was a nearside bench for 6 an offside bench for 7 and normal 2 seats in the low floor area. At the back there was 4x2 seats and 5 seats across the back.

The demo vehicle is 35'. The spec sheet shows seats ahead of the front wheels which were not present. There was a nearside bench for 6 an offside bench for 7 and normal 2 seats in the low floor area. At the back there was 4x2 seats and 5 seats across the back.

Sorry - just looked at it again the spec sheet does not show seats in front of the wheels!

For anyone interested in riding the bus, it's operating on the 49 between 79th and Berwyn today until 4:30pm. I don't have the exact time schedule, but it departed the Orange Line heading northbound at around 8:10am. Do the math based on the schedule and you might be able to approximate where it will be.

For anyone interested in riding the bus, it's operating on the 49 between 79th and Berwyn today until 4:30pm. I don't have the exact time schedule, but it departed the Orange Line heading northbound at around 8:10am. Do the math based on the schedule and you might be able to approximate where it will be.

Thanks Kevin, the designline bus was indeed on the #49 western. I got a chance to board it. There were two representatives for designline aboard the bus. According to what they say the Designline Hybrid will run again tomorrow on the #49, I'm assuming at the same time frame as today. But this will be the last day in service in Chicago. They said they will be here though for 2 - 3 more days in the city with the bus. Then they said there "going home" ( I'm assuming Charlotte ) for the 4th of July weekend. One of them said something about the bus heading to San Diego next, but I'm not 100 percent sure. BTW, I enjoyed myself :) Thanks again Kevin.

• 4 weeks later...

I spotted the DesignLine in the Loop today at around 5:45pm. It was heading south down Wabash, turned east on Lake and then south on Michigan. Destination sign was set to "DeslgnLine." May have been coming from CTA HQ.

Might have had something to do with the APTA show this week at Mc Cormick Place.

• 3 weeks later...

These Designline hybrids aren't experimental. :) They've been in revenue service for more than 5 years, in New Zealand, Hong Kong, and the UK. It uses the same super-low-floor design as their regular diesel buses, which means it doesn't have a traditional ladder chassis

The styling might be unusual to American eyes, but reflects the smooth, clean look favoured in Europe and Asia. Designline deliberately gave the first hybrid a futuristic look 10-years ago, and that look is now standard across their range (although the asymetrical windscreen is unique to the hybrid).

The youtube link someone posted, is of the City Circuit route in Christchurch. This has been operated by 3 hybrids for nearly 10 years. It uses subway-style seating (fewer seats, bigger aisles for more standees), since it is a short hop service. Designline's regular diesel commuter buses use the seating arrangement shown on the spec sheet pdf. Here in Auckland, they are mostly 37-42 seater 40-foot dual-axle (local government regulations). Photos here (bottom of page).

Bryan Miller

Auckland NZ