Suspension of part of the Blue Line for Three Weeks in July

jajuan

Today's SunTimes reports that service on the Blue Line past Rosemont will be suspended for three weeks in July. Everyday between July 8 and July 28, bus shuttles will replace the service between Rosemont and O'Hare. Btw, that clarification of the dates came from the CTA Press Release. Apparently the work needed to replace the rails and ties between these points is more involved than the current weekend only work could handle.

Today's SunTimes reports that service on the Blue Line past Rosemont will be suspended for three weeks in July. Everyday between July 8 and July 28, bus shuttles will replace the service between Rosemont and O'Hare. Btw, that clarification of the dates came from the CTA Press Release. Apparently the work needed to replace the rails and ties between these points is more involved than the current weekend only work could handle.

Does it mean that the Shuttle buses will stop at O'Hare Terminal where Route 330/ Old 220 used to stop at before Kiss N Fly became available?

I cannot remember if it was at Lower or upper level of Terminal, I would guess Lower. 3 weeks is a long time.

Does it mean that the Shuttle buses will stop at O'Hare Terminal where Route 330/ Old 220 used to stop at before Kiss N Fly became available?

They'll operate to the Bus Shuttle Center on the lower level near Terminals 1, 2, and 3. So yes they'll operate at the O'Hare terminal but I can't remember if the 220 and 330 used to operate on the upper level or lowel level. at the Terminals

They'll operate to the Bus Shuttle Center on the lower level near Terminals 1, 2, and 3. So yes they'll operate at the O'Hare terminal but I can't remember if the 220 and 330 used to operate on the upper level or lowel level. at the Terminals

Was lower.

Mentioning the shuttle center indicates one central place (opposite the garage) rather than stopping at all three terminals, like the Pace buses used to. Is where TriState and similar intercity airport shuttles stop.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to love the local media's knack for making things sound worse than they really are. In regards to the slow zone work between Rosemont and O'Hare stations over the next weeks, all the local news stations have been saying anything from 'Travel to O'Hare gets a lot more difficult this morning' to 'Travel to O'Hare is a lot more challenging'. From the tone they've been setting all morning, getting to O'Hare is going to be such a hardship.

Are they using New Flyer's, NABI's, TMC's, Flxible's, or Nova's?

Also does anyone know what the destination sign displays?

From news reports, New Flyers, which display BLUE LINE. (For web version, click here and select "Blue Line to O'Hare Hassels")

Also, CTA5750 reported some Novas.

Are they using New Flyer's, NABI's, TMC's, Flxible's, or Nova's?

Also does anyone know what the destination sign displays?

I was working Route 606 today and what was supplied were New Flyers from NP and Novas from FG. There is lots of activity at Rosemont during the track closure. The buses are using the taxi turnaround for temp parking, the taxi cabs have been litterally "kicked to the curb". They have been moved to the east end of the terminal. Most of the Pace routes serving Rosemont have been moved over one stall north. At one time must have counted about twelve CTA buses at one time in the terminal and along wioth the Pace buses so you can imagine how busy the terminal is. No NABI artics were used today, I would imagine those being used on the weekends.

I have never seen the Rosemont terminal but I would assume it is very big. How many bus bays are there?

Google Maps link.

Interestingly, until this project, all were for Pace buses, and the news report indicates that CTA is using the usual one for route 223. As CTA 5750 indicates, those (and presumably his for 606 or 616) have been moved over.

It's certainly inconvenient, but it's not nearly as bad as the previous shuttles like Jefferson Park to Harlem. A two seat ride is much better than a three seat ride.

Yes it's an inconvenience, but it's not the near to impossible trip that the media was making it sound like it would be when they were reporting on it Monday evening and Tuesday morning.

When I have been going by there at night on the way home, it has all been North Park New Flyers. It is a good way to see what buses are running out of the "Park" right now. I have seen 1300's, 1400's, 1500's, 1600's and a 1700. They are using the 223 bay, first out of the entrance to the station, and as 5750 stated, are using the taxi bay for overflow. When I go by at 8:30 or so, there are usually 8-10 buses scattered through the terminal, with a supervisor van surrounded by drivers on the east side of the terminal bay.

Guest metralink

can someone explain why the CTA likes to cram in passengers on the shuttle buses with all their bags when they have buses sitting all in line? The snoopervisors load this things to the gills then let em go .

Give the passenger a break and some room with all that luggage

can someone explain why the CTA likes to cram in passengers on the shuttle buses with all their bags when they have buses sitting all in line? The snoopervisors load this things to the gills then let em go .

Give the passenger a break and some room with all that luggage

There are some good reasons believe it or not. First, during rush hour traffic can be quite heavy going into and out of the airport, so spacing buses is important. That way you will always have at least 2 buses at Rosemont at all times. Second, those bus drivers have to have breaks and lunches, which would probably be accomplished off peak. Thus it is possible that a few of those buses are on "break." Third, at shift change time, new buses probably arrive from NP and FG with some of the shuttles completing their runs before deadheading back to their respective garages.

The slow work between Rosemont and O'Hare is wrapping up sooner than expected. Today is the last day of bus shuttle service, and full rail service resumes tomorrow. The WGN Morning News just reported this important update. Also, the CTA website gives no indication among the highlights on the main page nor does it do so in the customer alerts. You would have to have some desire to read the press releases to find it mentioned in a press release dated yesterday discussing the CTA's 'agressive work to eliminate slow zones.' Again here's an instance of them not communicating important information in a more efficient manner. Yes they do report this bit of info in a press release, but it should have been flagged on the main page so people aren't just coming across it by accident. What if I had been a rider using alternatives to the bus shuttles to make it to the airport?

The slow work between Rosemont and O'Hare is wrapping up sooner than expected. Today is the last day of bus shuttle service, and full rail service resumes tomorrow. The WGN Morning News just reported this important update. Also, the CTA website gives no indication among the highlights on the main page nor does it do so in the customer alerts. You would have to have some desire to read the press releases to find it mentioned in a press release dated yesterday discussing the CTA's 'agressive work to eliminate slow zones.' Again here's an instance of them not communicating important information in a more efficient manner. Yes they do report this bit of info in a press release, but it should have been flagged on the main page so people aren't just coming across it by accident. What if I had been a rider using alternatives to the bus shuttles to make it to the airport?

I saw the press release last night on the website and they also stated the news on Channel 7 on their 10pm newscast last night. Yes, that's a pretty bad move but they should post it in front of their website today, so many folks won't get confused Tomorrow.

What if I had been a rider using alternatives to the bus shuttles to make it to the airport?

Perhaps read the notices informing customers that service has resumed on the Blue Line to O'Hare that CTA quite possibly put up at the bust stops and in the station itself? Just because it doesn't appear on the website doesn't mean the CTA isn't informing it's riders of the change.

Perhaps read the notices informing customers that service has resumed on the Blue Line to O'Hare that CTA quite possibly put up at the bust stops and in the station itself? Just because it doesn't appear on the website doesn't mean the CTA isn't informing it's riders of the change.

The point is some people riding to O'Hare or any other destination don't necessarily ride to the same destination everyday. Also there have been times that the CTA hasn't posted notices on all the stops of the appropriate route(s). Anyway this decision seems to have been just made so everyone would not be in the vicinity of any notices posted. CTA would not necessarily had notices posted at every stop of the Blue Line. Given a lot of riders get information about service changes (temporary or permanent) online, because it's faster a lot of times than getting it of a bus or rail stop notice, I stand by what I say about it should have been highlighted and not given in such a way that you have to search all over the place to get it. I'm a person who likes to know relevant information about service before I walk out the door, when that's possible, so I can make appropriate commuting adjustments if necessary.

Outbound, I doubt that riders will be leaving the train at Rosemont if not forced to do so.

Inbound, the only place that would need a sign is at the Bus Shuttle Center.

I don't see how this is a big deal.

I saw the press release last night on the website and they also stated the news on Channel 7 on their 10pm newscast last night. Yes, that's a pretty bad move but they should post it in front of their website today, so many folks won't get confused Tomorrow.

I don't always get to see the 9 or 10 o'clock news broadcasts because my work schedule can have going to bed before those broadcasts. Thank you for understanding part of the point I was making though. Don't just count on someone seeing a notice posted at a bus stop or rail station. Give that information through every avenue of communication as effectively and clearly as possible. When it's something this important, flag people's attention to it immediately through the main page of the website. And don't mention it in a press release without updating the customer alerts on the site. As late as this morning, the Blue Line customer alert still showed resumption of rail service in the area as being on July 28 not July 24. That's the main point I was making when I said they weren't communicating effectively. Update everything not bits and pieces. Having a press release and customer alert say two different things about resumption of service is a recipe for confusion, which we know for some people they don't need any extra help in getting.

This was probably put into the newscasts to get the word out in general that the project is moving ahead of schedule (although I thought when this started, it was stated it would be a 2 week service suspension). The fact you don't see it on the passenger alerts is that it hasn't happened yet, and until it actually does, it is a good idea not to put it out there, since there could be delays as to exactly when service resumes (although it is slated to be 3am). Once service resumes, you can bet that you will see an update on the passenger notice section.

This was probably put into the newscasts to get the word out in general that the project is moving ahead of schedule (although I thought when this started, it was stated it would be a 2 week service suspension). The fact you don't see it on the passenger alerts is that it hasn't happened yet, and until it actually does, it is a good idea not to put it out there, since there could be delays as to exactly when service resumes (although it is slated to be 3am). Once service resumes, you can bet that you will see an update on the passenger notice section.

That doesn't quite wash because passenger alerts have been given ahead of time before for other events that change and/or affect service, i.e. a given week's rerouting of the Red Line to the elevated tracks is posted the previous Thursday or Friday in the passenger alerts. Any change in the scheduled plan is usually given in an update as close to that change as possible. Why wait until the last minute to be thorough in an update when it can be done so ahead of time?

The point is some people riding to O'Hare or any other destination don't necessarily ride to the same destination everyday. Also there have been times that the CTA hasn't posted notices on all the stops of the appropriate route(s). Anyway this decision seems to have been just made so everyone would not be in the vicinity of any notices posted. CTA would not necessarily had notices posted at every stop of the Blue Line. Given a lot of riders get information about service changes (temporary or permanent) online, because it's faster a lot of times than getting it of a bus or rail stop notice, I stand by what I say about it should have been highlighted and not given in such a way that you have to search all over the place to get it. I'm a person who likes to know relevant information about service before I walk out the door, when that's possible, so I can make appropriate commuting adjustments if necessary.

Well, you don't have to worry because the Customer Alerts section of CTA's website does have the appropriate notice:

Note that the original end date was July 28th. The notice below shows the earlier end date of Thursday July 24th. This notice was posted on the 22nd.

Blue Line Customer Alerts

Blue Line Slow Zone Elimination Project

Substitute Service between O’Hare and Rosemont

3 a.m., Tue., July 8 to 3 a.m., Thur., July 24, 2008

Bus shuttle service will replace rail service between the O’Hare Bus/Shuttle Center (located directly above the O’Hare CTA station) and Rosemont station.

Temporary closure of the Blue Line tracks from O’Hare to Rosemont will allow CTA to complete track improvements quickly and efficiently, providing a faster ride sooner! Blue Line slow zone work will be completed in Fall 2008.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Blue Line Southbound Reroute at Irving Park

8 p.m. until 4 a.m. the next morning, Tuesday, July 22 and Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Due to tie replacement work to eliminate slow zones, southbound Blue Line (O’Hare branch) trains will operate on the northbound track at the Irving Park station. Please board all trains on the northbound side of the platform.

Please allow extra travel time.