New Flyer Xcelsior

Tcmetro

I just happened to look at the New Flyer site yesterday and saw this.

A few questions arise:

1) Has NF dropped the premium bus which name began with an I ?

2) What is the price differential between the Excelsior and NF buses with the "revised" fronts?

3) How many types of transit buses will NF keep in their product line?

It looks like it at least 3 - plain like CTA, revised line DC's WMATA, and Excelsior

Gene King

Maybe it is lighter because it is actually made of excelsior. :P Actually, NF says it has exterior fiberglass panels, which would make it similar to the RTS.

Aesthetically, CTA is now two generations back, but I wonder also if technologically.

The other bus was the Invero, but my understanding was that it couldn't compete in the low bid market. We'll see whether that is the case with this bus, or whether the trend toward single source procurement (was there a Proposer 2 to the CTA RFP?) tends to save it, like the Metro 45C.

Maybe it is lighter because it is actually made of excelsior. :P Actually, NF says it has exterior fiberglass panels, which would make it similar to the RTS.

Aesthetically, CTA is now two generations back, but I wonder also if technologically.

The other bus was the Invero, but my understanding was that it couldn't compete in the low bid market. We'll see whether that is the case with this bus, or whether the trend toward single source procurement (was there a Proposer 2 to the CTA RFP?) tends to save it, like the Metro 45C.

Thanks for reminding me of the name Invero [i had a middle aged moment in the previous post].

I think the Excelsior is a better looking bus than the Invero. CTA has a history of economizing so I don't think you see the Excelsior here soon.

Gene

I just happened to look at the New Flyer site yesterday and saw this.

A few questions arise:

1) Has NF dropped the premium bus which name began with an I ?

2) What is the price differential between the Excelsior and NF buses with the "revised" fronts?

3) How many types of transit buses will NF keep in their product line?

It looks like it at least 3 - plain like CTA, revised line DC's WMATA, and Excelsior

Gene King

1) Yes, New Flyer did drop the Invero. OC Transpo was the only really big customer for that model.

2) Forgot to ask.

3) According to one of the New Flyer reps at APTA, the "idea" is that the Xcelsior will eventually replace the rest of their standard model product line. However, he was careful to say that it was only an idea, and not official. New Flyer's original "idea" was that the Invero would replace the D40LF. However, it was too expensive, and so they dropped that line and introduced a revised styling D40LFR instead. Then their "idea" was that the LFR would replace the regular LF. However, many customers (not just CTA) still preferred the original styling, and so they continue to offer both faces.

The Xcelsior, however, is based on a brand new chassis design (unlike the LFR and the BRT-style LFA, which have the same chassis as the original LF). Supposedly, New Flyer will introduce a new product designation for the Xcelsior (meaning it probably won't be a D40LFX or whatever...and incidentally, Nova has just introudced the Nova LFX articulated "BRT" bus at APTA as well).

It is a really nice looking bus, inside and out. Then again, that is just the demo. Who knows how it will look once a customer decides to configure it in their own way, and then put it into service for a while.

Here is a link to a picture of one in Metro Magazine. It takes a couple seconds to come up.

I wonder if Gillig or Orion have anything cooking?

Orion has up to now made quite clear that the Next Gen is their only low floor (and has enough orders from NYC and Toronto to sustain that for a while). However, it is probably guessing whether they would go to a fiberglass model. My guess is if they change anything, it would be using Mercedes parts.

Forgive me for not including a link but here's another question:

Does anyone see a resemblance between the NF Xcelsior and Gillig's Advantage BRT [think KC Metro's Max]?

Gene King

Basically, there isn't much aesthetic difference between Xcelsior, Max, and Orion Next Gen. All use the more streamlined front. NABI is somewhat different in having the arc or segmented windshield. Also, one can make a distinction between those with projector headlights and other kinds.

Even the EcoSaver, while having some wild features (the asymmetrical windshield and rear view mirror pods), still basically has the same body shape.

Another possible distinction is that some models (i.e. NABI BRT, Xcelsior) try to hide the roof equipment, while others don't. Of course, the first attempt to do that was the Orion VI.

I think the Xcelsior is much better looking than the D40LF and D40LFRs, but IMO Nova's LFX looks the best! Hurry up Nova and start building buses in the US again and reclaim some of the marketshare lost to Gillig and NABI!!!

Here is a link to a picture of one in Metro Magazine. It takes a couple seconds to come up.

I wonder if Gillig or Orion have anything cooking?

Gillig recently killed off their Phantom! Gillig offers their LFS ripoff called the BRT and the cheap and dull Advantage. Personally, I am not a fan of Gilligs, I hear some people say they are like the Airbus of the Bus industry.

I think the Xcelsior is much better looking than the D40LF and D40LFRs, but IMO Nova's LFX looks the best! Hurry up Nova and start building buses in the US again and reclaim some of the marketshare lost to Gillig and NABI!!!

I wouldn't mind having some LFX's around here, they look nice.

BTW as to not liking Gillig I understand. See MInneapolis T buses so I don't go OT here.

EDIT: Referring to latest posts in Mpls. T buses.

• 7 months later...

This morning heading out to Rockford on I-90 two NewFlyer buses, possibly Excelsior models were heading EB to WMATA. #6453 and I didnt get the number to the other bus. But they looked really nice though. They had large tanks on top and the new paint scheme.

If anyone cares, Brampton Transit in the Greater Toronto Area has ordered over 20 Xcelsiors with options for more. BT will be the launch customer of the Excelsior with the first unit being delivered this fall.

• 11 years later...
On 10/7/2008 at 11:45 PM, rmadisonwi said:

1) Yes, New Flyer did drop the Invero. OC Transpo was the only really big customer for that model.

2) Forgot to ask.

3) According to one of the New Flyer reps at APTA, the "idea" is that the Xcelsior will eventually replace the rest of their standard model product line. However, he was careful to say that it was only an idea, and not official. New Flyer's original "idea" was that the Invero would replace the D40LF. However, it was too expensive, and so they dropped that line and introduced a revised styling D40LFR instead. Then their "idea" was that the LFR would replace the regular LF. However, many customers (not just CTA) still preferred the original styling, and so they continue to offer both faces.

The Xcelsior, however, is based on a brand new chassis design (unlike the LFR and the BRT-style LFA, which have the same chassis as the original LF). Supposedly, New Flyer will introduce a new product designation for the Xcelsior (meaning it probably won't be a D40LFX or whatever...and incidentally, Nova has just introudced the Nova LFX articulated "BRT" bus at APTA as well).

It is a really nice looking bus, inside and out. Then again, that is just the demo. Who knows how it will look once a customer decides to configure it in their own way, and then put it into service for a while.

Xcelsior designations for those not familiar:

X prefix +

D - Diesel

D E - Diesel-electric hybrid

E - Electric battery (not to be confused with trolleybus)

H - Hydrogen fuel cell

N - CNG

T - Trolleybus

+ Foot Length in numbers

So an XD40 would be an Xcelsior 40ft diesel bus. Any above combination can be used as long as the bus is feasible.