Taking Pics/Making Vids Illegal ?

bookielovescta

Can anybody tell me why is taking puctures and recording videos on CTA Buses is illegal ?

It's not illegal as long as you stand on public way. If you go into their private property, then it is. CTA just overreacts to people photographing/video taping. I don't know why they do, but they just do.

Can anybody tell me why is taking puctures and recording videos on CTA Buses is illegal ?

Taking pictures and videotaping on CTA bus is not illegal. The CTA has a policy establishing some guidelines, but generally permits photography wherever the public is allowed to go.

The general public is permitted to use hand-held cameras to take photographs, capture digital images, and videotape within public areas of CTA stations and transit vehicles for personal, non-commercial use.

Large cameras, photo or video equipment, or ancillary equipment such as lighting, tripods, cables, etc. are prohibited (except in instances where commercial and professional photographers enter into contractual agreements with CTA).

All photographers and videographers are prohibited from entering, photographing, or videotaping non-public areas of the CTA’s transit system.

All photographers and videographers are prohibited from impeding customer traffic flow, obstructing transit operations, interfering with customers, blocking doors or stairs, and affecting the safety of CTA, its employees, or customers. All photographers and videographers must fully and immediately comply with any requests, directions, or instructions of CTA personnel related to safety concerns.

Complete photo policy here

One of the problems is that the policy has evolved and been clarified over the last 10 years or so, but many employees still don't realize it. Many photographers carry a copy of this policy from the CTA's website to show to any employee who tells them photography is illegal. If they continue to tell you that you can't take photos/video and you believe you aren't in violation of the policy, then I suggest getting their badge number and reporting them to Customer Service so they can be retrained on the policy.

Using equipment such as tripods, separate lighting setups, cables, etc., isn't allowed, nor is standing near doors or stairs. They can ask you to stop doing that. If you're blocking an aisle in a bus or obstructing customers, you're likely to be asked to stop.

Taking pictures and videotaping on CTA bus is not illegal. The CTA has a policy establishing some guidelines, but generally permits photography wherever the public is allowed to go.

One of the problems is that the policy has evolved and been clarified over the last 10 years or so, but many employees still don't realize it. Many photographers carry a copy of this policy from the CTA's website to show to any employee who tells them photography is illegal. If they continue to tell you that you can't take photos/video and you believe you aren't in violation of the policy, then I suggest getting their badge number and reporting them to Customer Service so they can be retrained on the policy.

So, was there a photograph policy before 911? Because I don't remember this being such an issue before then. The way I understand it, CTA employees are supposed to warn you verbally you are doing wrong, then call the police if you don't respond to warnings. Alot of them just call police. I'm sure the violators would stop if they felt they were to soon be arrested. There seems to be a grey area there regarding this.

here's a solution, if you want to take pictures of trains, do it from the street (ex. taking pics of red line trains from state or lafayette between 69th and 95th)

We shouldn't have to go out of our way to avoid being hassled by ignorant employees when the Authority has a clearly defined policy which allows photography.

I've spent months seeing this same question asked repeatedly, and I'll just add that another part of the no picture mindset may also have to do with the heightened sense of alertness CTA has been pushing since the tragic events of 9/11/01. You have the placards on CTA revenue vehicles, Mr CTA making the keep alert announcements, the crawls on those digital displays give the time and notices at rail stations, and so on. Granted none of those mention anything about taking photos given CTA's photo policy, but I do notice some bus operators getting more antsy about snapping photos after news stories about terrorist actions involving local vehicles in from vicinities that the act occurred.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost every Transit Authority is banning transit photography due to homeland security reasons. After September 11, 2001 majority of Transit Authorities started banning photography of transit equipment and infrastructures. Baltimore MTA did that a few years back and even had stated as suspicious activity someone who is photographing transit equipment and infrustructures. SEPTA of Philadelphia has the same policy. And maybe the WMATA. But before 9/11 most TAs didnt care if someone photographed transit equipment or infrastructures. But since 9/11 they have beefed up. But as long as the operator of a CTA vehicle or CTA police do not see you photograph the vehicle you should be okay. Its been illegal in Baltimore for years to photograph transit equipment and people still do it anyway.

Almost every Transit Authority is banning transit photography due to homeland security reasons. After September 11, 2001 majority of Transit Authorities started banning photography of transit equipment and infrastructures. Baltimore MTA did that a few years back and even had stated as suspicious activity someone who is photographing transit equipment and infrustructures. SEPTA of Philadelphia has the same policy. And maybe the WMATA. But before 9/11 most TAs didnt care if someone photographed transit equipment or infrastructures. But since 9/11 they have beefed up. But as long as the operator of a CTA vehicle or CTA police do not see you photograph the vehicle you should be okay. Its been illegal in Baltimore for years to photograph transit equipment and people still do it anyway.

Your sources?

Back in 2003 one thing Baltimore MTA listed as suspicious activity is someone taking photographs of transit equipment and infrastructures. So that year I took my photographs when I suspected I was not observed by the operator or any other transit personnel. With SEPTA. I read a post on Philadelphia Transit Forums about someone being reported for photographing one of the stations on the Broad Street Subway. And New Jersey. I read on Transitalk that drivers went off at someone for photographing the bus. I havent photographed buses in service but I do photograph them at transit roadeos. And plus many of us still photograph transit equipment. Mainly transit fans. I myself a couple times hide out in the car to photograph transit vehicles with the flash to my camera off. And my last photograph was from my camera phone of a broke down Baltimore MTA bus. I wasnt caught doing it thankfully. But I do hear they are strict about that policy.

With regard to sources, the only reliable one with regard to CTA is as I said in post 3, on its website. I see some weisenheimer gave me a negative 1 for that. The official SEPTA policy is here. Maryland TA and NJT do not appear to have a policy on their websites, but frequent references to the Transit Police.

As the first post here, as well as the one asserting that some forum says it was legal for CTA drivers to blow through red lights when it wasn't, an internet forum is not necessarily a source.

Either way, the question has been answered several times over as far as the CTA is concerned as I also alluded to despite the post 9/11 mindset I mentioned. CTA states on its own website that taking pictures is not banned unless you're doing so on CTA property (i.e. platforms, garages, bus terminals, etc.). If you're on the public walkways and such, then they can't say anything.

Either way, the question has been answered several times over as far as the CTA is concerned as I also alluded to despite the post 9/11 mindset I mentioned. CTA states on its own website that taking pictures is not banned unless you're doing so on CTA property (i.e. platforms, garages, bus terminals, etc.). If you're on the public walkways and such, then they can't say anything.

I've Photographed at the 103rd Garage Terminal and twice i was busted, once in june 2007 and again in june 2009 so i relocated someplace else to photograph buses

A few friends of mine at Pace let me take pictures of their buses when they are on layover or pulled over running hot. All they ask is what is common sense anyway: use a photo editor program to blot out run numbers and to an extent, the drivers face if need be.

In fact, I was riding around with a friend of mine, a driver, a long time ago, and he took pictures of me with the bus, even one sitting on the bike rack while he had a 20 minute layover. Used the pictures on a dating site profile I once had.:rolleyes:

Around my area, Pace North, I find that the division is close knit enough that if you know a few people (Or a lot of people in my case), then you can take pictures to your heart's content.

I guess it really is a case of not 'what' you know, but 'who' you know.

In fact, I was riding around with a friend of mine, a driver, a long time ago, and he took pictures of me with the bus, even one sitting on the bike rack while he had a 20 minute layover. Used the pictures on a dating site profile I once had.:rolleyes:

Well, I never!:lol:

Around my area, Pace North, I find that the division is close knit enough that if you know a few people (Or a lot of people in my case), then you can take pictures to your heart's content.

I mentioned 3 years ago, that the safety supervisor at North asked me about taking a picture, on the 580s in Buffalo Grove, but was nice about it. I take it though, from your prior post, that he isn't your favorite person.B) Of course, three years later, those routes are dead, too.

@Busjack,

I know exactly who you are talking about. Come to think of it, I was talking to said safety manager over the phone about a problem with a driver (was this a large man, who talks kind of slow, that we are talking about?), and he said he thought he met me at Buffalo Grove. I think he has you and I mixed up now!

By the way, yes, he would say the 6600s are nice, they are the only buses at North with continuous cameras on board, which have been used against drivers numerous times. Often said here that you know you're in trouble when they give you a 6600 series.

I am not kidding either; back when I used to go for a ride every morning with a driver friend of mine, they would randomly give him 6600s for a while to see what was going on after management got suspcious of this. Well, he used to send me on runs to Dunkin Donuts. He would drop me off headed North, and send me in with $10, and then pick me up with breakfast for both of us, headed South.

Then after a while, this driver didn't get any more 6600s. Strange.

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect, outside of what you said with B-more MTA, that is completely false. The difference between then and now is that terrorism is so hyped up that everyone is running in complete paranoia! Very few systems vohemently prohibit photography on their property (such as PATH), but they can't say boo if you photograph from public spaces.

WMATA and SEPTA both have established policies that PERMIT photography of their systems.

• 5 months later...

Taking photos/vids of the CTA is as easy as you want it to be. I went biking with a friend a couple of weeks ago, and we stopped by Forest Glen garage. My friend wanted to get a better look of what was going on further in, so he went inside the south FG lot and rode his bike all over the lot. He waved to some bus drivers, and they waved back. I refrained from going onto CTA property with him due to my prior knowledge, but right after nothing happened I felt like I should have. He had a good mindset: that it's just some parking lot and why should he be afraid of biking on it. He did trespass but didn't damage anything. So for those that are afraid of getting hassled by CTA employees for photography, you just can't be if you want to get the photos that you want. Confident people can run circles around ignorant CTA employees. Having a heart attack everytime an employee comes toward you won't work.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Taking photos/vids of the CTA is as easy as you want it to be. I went biking with a friend a couple of weeks ago, and we stopped by Forest Glen garage. My friend wanted to get a better look of what was going on further in, so he went inside the south FG lot and rode his bike all over the lot. He waved to some bus drivers, and they waved back. I refrained from going onto CTA property with him due to my prior knowledge, but right after nothing happened I felt like I should have. He had a good mindset: that it's just some parking lot and why should he be afraid of biking on it. He did trespass but didn't damage anything. So for those that are afraid of getting hassled by CTA employees for photography, you just can't be if you want to get the photos that you want. Confident people can run circles around ignorant CTA employees. Having a heart attack everytime an employee comes toward you won't work.

Your friend trespassed – period. Doesn’t matter if he damaged anything or not, he was in the wrong. I don't recommend doing this or hanging around with others who trespass.

It’s pretty simple, folks – photography of public transit operations is completely legal on any street in the United States unless a municipality has a specific restriction against it (and I’m not aware of any cities that do). Photography is also allowed on most transit system property in public areas including CTA. There are a few transit agencies that specifically do not allow photography (PATH in New York-New Jersey is one) and others that have been very hostile recently to enthusiast photographers (MARTA in Atlanta, Miami-Dade Transit in Florida). If you’re going to a big city system, you should be able to find their rules about photography on the Internet before you visit.

While on transit property, follow a few simple rules. Never use tripods, flash units or bright lights. Do not enter busways or walk on tracks or otherwise put yourself in physical danger. Do not photograph employees or other passengers close-up unless you have permission (and even then, don’t go posting those images on the web). Be aware of passenger flow and don’t put yourself in any place where you are blocking others or causing a disturbance. At the same time, though, act like you belong – we have a right to take photographs and hiding your camera until the last minute can come across as suspicious to some folks.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...