Pace Bus Moves

rotjohns

Figured I'd better start this topic here since it was out of place in other threads. It is confirmed, Orion VI 6066 is at NW on the 223 today. If it was on the 210 yesterday, then that route must be sharing with NW during rush hour. But it looks like West maybe be looking to move away from the Orions altogether.

Figured I'd better start this topic here since it was out of place in other threads. It is confirmed, Orion VI 6066 is at NW on the 223 today. If it was on the 210 yesterday, then that route must be sharing with NW during rush hour. But it looks like West maybe be looking to move away from the Orions altogether.

Kudos on moving the thread.

However, 210 originally was a NW route, and since the 2005 restructuring has been half NW and half NS. Used to be four buses during rush hour, but now generally two at all times, one each. A couple of days ago, someone noted 2666 at NW, which I confirmed as a sighting on 210.

Also split: 422 (approximately 1 or 2 NW for 2-3 NS),* ** 423 (3 NW, 2 NS),* and 215 (Sunday NW).

*Not counting school runs.

** Somehow, the local between Linden and Old Orchard changes from NS to NW around 3:30 p.m.

Kudos on moving the thread.

However, 210 originally was a NW route, and since the 2005 restructuring has been half NW and half NS. Used to be four buses during rush hour, but now generally two at all times, one each. A couple of days ago, someone noted 2666 at NW, which I confirmed as a sighting on 210.

Also split: 422 (approximately 1 or 2 NW for 2-3 NS),* ** 423 (3 NW, 2 NS),* and 215 (Sunday NW).

*Not counting school runs.

** Somehow, the local between Linden and Old Orchard changes from NS to NW around 3:30 p.m.

I think it just threw me for a loop because since this latest restructuring, I've only seen Eldos on the 210, which makes sense. I knew 422/423 were split, I just didn't know 210 was also split. I'm just curious as to why 6066 got moved? It's just an odd numbered bus to go given NW has 6000-6041 and 6114-6161. It seems out of place to me. But then again, given 6052 is at SW now and 6114-6115 were at West for a long while, I guess it shouldn't.

I think it just threw me for a loop because since this latest restructuring, I've only seen Eldos on the 210, which makes sense. I knew 422/423 were split, I just didn't know 210 was also split. I'm just curious as to why 6066 got moved? It's just an odd numbered bus to go given NW has 6000-6041 and 6114-6161. It seems out of place to me. But then again, given 6052 is at SW now and 6114-6115 were at West for a long while, I guess it shouldn't.

A quick look at Webwatch indicates that I might have undercounted. If this image is correct, it still is half and half, with 2653 and 2658 from NS and 2666 and 6127 from NW, but 4 on the map at rush hour. Of course, I can only record one popup at a time.

post-14-12689520747755_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

#6063 was on the #290 on Saturday. BTW, I saw something kind of strange. I observed the driver getting off his bus standing about 5 feet away from the bus and pressing a button on a remote to close the front doors, just like you would do on a car except the door physically closed itself. Anyone hear of such a thing or was I dreaming?

#6063 was on the #290 on Saturday. BTW, I saw something kind of strange. I observed the driver getting off his bus standing about 5 feet away from the bus and pressing a button on a remote to close the front doors, just like you would do on a car except the door physically closed itself. Anyone hear of such a thing or was I dreaming?

Must be something new.

On the Orions in the Lake Cook Metra cage, there was a setup for a padlock for the front door. The 2600s don't have the same, so could they be using a similar setup? I don't want to be staking out the territory when remote storage again begins.

I have not heard of it, but it sounds necessary nowadays with people taking off with buses. I recently read where one teenager crashed a bus in Philadelphia about a block away from where he took off with the bus. Everyone should know where the door handle is, and if you take the air off the door then anyone can open it. It is a way to better secure the bus. Most motorcoaches have door keys so that no one can enter the bus even if they know where the outside door switch is located.

Must be something new.

On the Orions in the Lake Cook Metra cage, there was a setup for a padlock for the front door. The 2600s don't have the same, so could they be using a similar setup? I don't want to be staking out the territory when remote storage again begins.

Here is a picture of one of the Orion's@Lake-Cook's Metra station w/the padlock set-up you referred to.post-451-12699075389062_thumb.jpg

Today, 6063 is on the #208. Remember, when Academy gave up some of their Nabis to West, something had to go and this is another move to send their Orions up to NW.

Today, 6063 is on the #208. Remember, when Academy gave up some of their Nabis to West, something had to go and this is another move to send their Orions up to NW.

Not at the moment, but 6066 is. BTW, with regard to showing only one balloon at a time, I figured out that if you take a "global view" of the map....

post-14-12699592134622_thumb.jpg

BTW, Classics haven't shown up for NS on WebWatch in a couple of days now. They must have enough 6200s.

Not at the moment, but 6066 is. BTW, with regard to showing only one balloon at a time, I figured out that if you take a "global view" of the map....

post-14-12699592134622_thumb.jpg

BTW, Classics haven't shown up for NS on WebWatch in a couple of days now. They must have enough 6200s.

There was a Classic parked outside NS on Sunday when the Snowflake Special went past, as well as 2704 from NW.

• 3 weeks later...

But I'm curious, there used to be an Eldorado or 2 on the now defunct 637, which NW ran. What happened to them?

I don't know about that, but prior to the recent moves, NW only had 2704-2707. 3 were needed for 690 and 694. 690 is dead, 694 now has one.

It isn't like NW assigns them to routes, although they do tend to turn up on 209-234 (interlined), 210, and very occasionally on NW's share of 422 and 423. It doesn't seem like enough show up on WebWatch to account for the 4 they had and the 4 they got, but they do eventually show up.

I don't know about that, but prior to the recent moves, NW only had 2704-2707. 3 were needed for 690 and 694. 690 is dead, 694 now has one.

It isn't like NW assigns them to routes, although they do tend to turn up on 209-234 (interlined), 210, and very occasionally on NW's share of 422 and 423. It doesn't seem like enough show up on WebWatch to account for the 4 they had and the 4 they got, but they do eventually show up.

The northwest division now has 2630, 2635, 2665, 2666, 2704-2707.

They can be found on 209, 210, 215(sundays), 223(weekends), 226, 230, 234, 240(1 afternoon school run), and 694.

I was told this morning that in the near future, five 2300 series Orions are leaving North division and being sent to South Holland.

The reason is that with the corporate runs being terminated, we have a garage with too many buses, and as the garage is overpacked, five of the junkwagons (North nickname for an Orion) are being sent away.

I am guessing 2335 and 2328 will be gone. 2335 is a piece of junk, with some serious performance issues, and 2328 has a door issue no one has fixed yet (It thinks the doors are open even if they are closed, and one has to shut off and restart the bus to get going again).

2314 and 2297 will likely stay, as they are in decent shape. 2297 is an ex-Northshore bus, and seems to been reasonably well maintained when it was there. The old Northshore superintendent of transportation (Now North's general manager), is a friend of mine and told me that he felt Northshore took better care of the Orions than North did.

It is pretty much a tossup on what other buses might go, though.

I was told this morning that in the near future, five 2300 series Orions are leaving North division and being sent to South Holland....

5 sounds about right.

NS is still running what Orions it has, including putting some in the Lake Cook Metra station fenced area, which is back in operation.

Anyone at the other divisions have any word on whether:

• NS's Classics are due to have a similar fate soon?
  • The stimulus buses are supposed to show up in South Holland?
  • The disposition of the former Academy buses, as only 6604 and 6612 have shown up so far on Webwatch? Could they have gone to Lisle, or are they still in the West yard?

5 sounds about right.

NS is still running what Orions it has, including putting some in the Lake Cook Metra station fenced area, which is back in operation.

• The disposition of the former Academy buses, as only 6604 and 6612 have shown up so far on Webwatch? Could they have gone to Lisle, or are they still in the West yard?

With Academy losing the remaining Pace routes in June, Im sure its Orion buses will end up down at South Holland shortly. Im wondering what will happen with its Nabis. The three 40 ft Nabi buses we have, could probably end up going back to Joliet or to North Shore. But I think this is the last hurrah for our Orions.

5 sounds about right.

They are not in Lisle, at least as of yet. I passed by there yesterday and all of the same buses are still there, nothing new.

With Academy losing the remaining Pace routes in June, Im sure its Orion buses will end up down at South Holland shortly. Im wondering what will happen with its Nabis. The three 40 ft Nabi buses we have, could probably end up going back to Joliet or to North Shore. But I think this is the last hurrah for our Orions.

Definitely not going back to Joliet.

My question about the stimulus buses probably indicates what happens at NS.

There was art's surmise about more NABIs to West and then more West Orion VIs to NW. Probably as good a guess as any at the moment. One would wonder about having a garage (NW) with maybe 100 of the same model all having to be replaced over a 2 or 3 year period, but that probably won't prevent future bus shifts.

One could probably throw into this the fate of SW's Classics and whether some of West's Orion VIs go there.

I see that Pace has an advertisement for the Lisle contract. It says that contract has 10 NABIs and 3 Orions, plus one spare of each. It'll take me a bit of time to compare that to my prior numbers regarding what is at Westmont, considering that one has to also add the 66x contract to that.

Also, if what happened on the Wheaton-Lombard contract is any indication, what the RFP says the contractor is getting probably won't be the case when it is awarded (i.e. they then basically said Orions except for 3 Eldos for feeders, but it ended up being 9 Eldos).

I see that Pace has an advertisement for the Lisle contract. It says that contract has 10 NABIs and 3 Orions, plus one spare of each. It'll take me a bit of time to compare that to my prior numbers regarding what is at Westmont, considering that one has to also add the 66x contract to that.

Also, if what happened on the Wheaton-Lombard contract is any indication, what the RFP says the contractor is getting probably won't be the case when it is awarded (i.e. they then basically said Orions except for 3 Eldos for feeders, but it ended up being 9 Eldos).

I was just at Westmont/First Student yesterday looking for a job there. Lots of Nabis and 35ft Orions there. And theyre CLEAN! Very well kept.

I was just at Westmont/First Student yesterday looking for a job there. Lots of Nabis and 35ft Orions there. And theyre CLEAN! Very well kept.

Some NABIs that I saw running at Lisle sure didn't look very clean, but that was a while back. In addition to whatever rotjohns surmised about 2275, 2291 sure looked shot on the outside.

Some NABIs that I saw running at Lisle sure didn't look very clean, but that was a while back. In addition to whatever rotjohns surmised about 2275, 2291 sure looked shot on the outside.

A while back, 2291 was running out of the Clarendon Hills Metra station running one of its feeder routes, but I don't know if it still is. I know 2277 runs the 824 every evening as I see it almost daily. It doesn't look good on the outside at all. I'll have to make a trip back to Westmont, Clarendon Hills, and DG Belmont to see what buses are still running those routes.

UPDATE: Forgot....Nabi 6652 runs the newly re-routed 821 out of DG Belmont and also runs the evening service from Lisle.

UPDATE 2: Orion 2276 is still alive and well, it was on the 662 today from the Westmont Metra station, but it's the only one that runs out of there. The other 2 routes are ran by Nabis (6683 and 6619).