CTA Bus Rapid Transit (take two)

BusHunter

I have a more obvious name for Ashland, but cannot post it here.

On what got this started, I agree that the confusion with the L lines would be too great, unless CTA somehow said that this was rapid transit instead of a bus. Still then, the confusion would be too great, because theoretically there are free transfers among the L lines, but the handouts say this is supposed to have regular bus fare.

And, as far as colors, LA has had a 3 color scheme for 10 years, This just seems to grow on that. Boston's rapid transit cars have been painted the color of the line, but the cars aren't interchangeable (i.e. Blue Line needs pantographs, Green Line is LRT).

In the latter case, CTA can't do it or otherwise you wouldn't have the shuffle threads. As those around the J14 note, even though it is supposed to have distinctively branded equipment, that is only through a wrap.

A color scheme could be implemented through RGB signs, but neither CTA nor Pace has shown a real eagerness to embrace them. Maybe if they actually order 50 special BRT buses, that might be a consideration.

• 1 month later...

Now they are on track to add an on-board bus tracker on the Jump Route (which the design from the top is different than, say, the old TransitTV displays).

The original plans for J14 were to have Bus Tracker screens, but similar to flat screen TV monitors. Sam or somebody on the south side can probably comment whether those were installed, but the display shown in the linked article appears much more elaborate.

This will never happen.In Phrase One they are counting on doors on the left hand side which raises the cost even more.

With a cost of 116 million.Plus, it would limit the amount of routes the bus can be use for.

Plus,i don't think there is a assembly plant set up to add a door on the left hand side for a bus.

Then how did Cleveland get buses built for their Healthline BRT service along Euclid?

New Flyer readily manufactures buses with doors on both sides, AFAIK, Eugene, Ore. and Cleveland, Ohio have been recipiants of such buses. I also believe that San Bernardino, Calif. should be using them on their new BRT line.

NABI has also manufactured buses with doors on both sides for Boston. I doubt very much that the CTA would buy from NABI, though.

New Flyer readily manufactures buses with doors on both sides, AFAIK, Eugene, Ore. and Cleveland, Ohio have been recipiants of such buses. I also believe that San Bernardino, Calif. should be using them on their new BRT line.

NABI has also manufactured buses with doors on both sides for Boston. I doubt very much that the CTA would buy from NABI, though.

I knew about the Neoplan ETBs for the "T" but I didn't know about NABI buses with doors on both sides there. Interesting...

The original plans for J14 were to have Bus Tracker screens, but similar to flat screen TV monitors. Sam or somebody on the south side can probably comment whether those were installed, but the display shown in the linked article appears much more elaborate.

I believe there's Bus Tracker on one of the upper #4080's. (I think #4089) That's probably the test bus they were referring to in the article. Sounds like in the future they intend to put this on all CTA buses, but it will probably be years from now.

I believe there's Bus Tracker on one of the upper #4080's. (I think #4089) That's probably the test bus they were referring to in the article. Sounds like in the future they intend to put this on all CTA buses, but it will probably be years from now.

On the other buses, the only thing is what can be divined from the question in the addendum for the current bus order about why CTA wanted LCD screens on the buses, to which the answer was "LCDs will primarily be used for route information via web page" via "Cellular connection. "

Only slightly OT is this Tribune article on what Gabe Klein's intentions really are, and BRT is only incidental.

Klein’s strategy involves narrowing some streets, or putting them on a “road diet.’’

On other streets, dedicated bicycle lanes and buses-only lanes for future bus rapid transit service will be added. Klein has said he believes that multiple modes of transportation coupled with slower speeds overall will yield safer streets.

In short, the Anti Destination League. If red light cameras can't get drivers to stop at red lights and are only a source of graft, how is that going to work in Chicago?

BTW, as the article indicates, "pedestrian scramble" is not new. Hammond had it at least 50 years ago. It had a downtown business district then, too.

Only slightly OT is this Tribune article on what Gabe Klein's intentions really are, and BRT is only incidental.

Klein’s strategy involves narrowing some streets, or putting them on a “road diet.’’

On other streets, dedicated bicycle lanes and buses-only lanes for future bus rapid transit service will be added. Klein has said he believes that multiple modes of transportation coupled with slower speeds overall will yield safer streets.

In short, the Anti Destination League. If red light cameras can't get drivers to stop at red lights and are only a source of graft, how is that going to work in Chicago?

BTW, as the article indicates, "pedestrian scramble" is not new. Hammond had it at least 50 years ago. It had a downtown business district then, too.

I notice 130 and 151 route has change to avoid it.

I notice 130 and 151 route has change to avoid it.

There was just a story on the ABC7 news that in addition to the scramble crosswalk, Klein banned all turns at State and Jackson. Therefore, the 151 would have been legally prohibited from turning onto State.

They also mentioned taking a lane out of Dearborn for the bike path, which Klein claimed reduced congestion, but the interviewed drivers didn't agree, including citing more buses. Obviously, putting another bus line on Dearborn didn't help.

Earlier version of story.

• Upvote 1

There was just a story on the ABC7 news that in addition to the scramble crosswalk, Klein banned all turns at State and Jackson. Therefore, the 151 would have been legally prohibited from turning onto State.

They also mentioned taking a lane out of Dearborn for the bike path, which Klein claimed reduced congestion, but the interviewed drivers didn't agree, including citing more buses. Obviously, putting another bus line on Dearborn didn't help.

Looking at both versions of that ABC7 News story does explain a lot of why the current proposal for the Ashland BRT is that idiotic center lane implementation which not only eventually takes out the left lanes on Ashland from Irving Park to 95th, but also screws up the local Ashland bus since it would be forced to share that remaining traffic lane. As it's been pointed out numerous times, a senior or someone with an injury that limits their range of motion won't necessarily navigate a few block walk to a BRT stop the same way as an able bodied rider, not to mention the fact there may be those who wouldn't want to do that walk to a stop located in Englewood for example for reasons of safety concerns. But more importantly, the biggest thing that puts me against the proposal in its present form is the example of the half BRT style of the Jeffery Jump at least having the added benefit of the 15 Jeffery Local being able to share the bus lanes on Jeffery and therefore speeding up the local buses along with the express buses on the Jump route. And I have to say that what works in DC doesn't necessarily work in Chicago especially with Chicago being a more congested big city than Washington, DC.

This is another example Emanuel puppets doing what they want without public input.

• Upvote 1

Looking at both versions of that ABC7 News story does explain a lot of why the current proposal for the Ashland BRT is that idiotic center lane implementation which not only eventually takes out the left lanes on Ashland from Irving Park to 95th, but also screws up the local Ashland bus since it would be forced to share that remaining traffic lane....

As far as doing it in a downtown intersection, it doesn't bother me since I wouldn't drive downtown anyway. I even learned not to drive to jury duty at 26th and California. And my viewpoint may be based on the prior existence of the State Street Mall.

However, I don't see how impeding a major arterial (including the local bus service on it) turns out to be a workable policy.

I implied above, and as you and mkohut seem to imply, somehow Emanuel and Klein are using a grant ostensibly to the CTA to push a separate agenda. My prediction is that the feds won't fund the BRT (heck, they don't fund much of anything, either transit or transportation-wise*) but if things continue on their current path, Klein will find some other way to bottle up Ashland.

_________

*Dan Quayle even figured that out, although he didn't mention Cerberus's NABI episode.

• Upvote 1

As far as doing it in a downtown intersection, it doesn't bother me since I wouldn't drive downtown anyway. I even learned not to drive to jury duty at 26th and California. And my viewpoint may be based on the prior existence of the State Street Mall.

However, I don't see how impeding a major arterial (including the local bus service on it) turns out to be a workable policy.

I implied above, and as you and mkohut seem to imply, somehow Emanuel and Klein are using a grant ostensibly to the CTA to push a separate agenda. My prediction is that the feds won't fund the BRT (heck, they don't fund much of anything, either transit or transportation-wise*) but if things continue on their current path, Klein will find some other way to bottle up Ashland.

_________

*Dan Quayle even figured that out, although he didn't mention Cerberus's NABI episode.

My main point was about Ashland since the downtown proposal looks like it in part strengthens the bus lanes already on Washington and Madison by putting a bus lane all the way through and not just on the parts of the street leading into streets where currently right turns are possible. Emanuel actually has me questioning if he cares about a second term since he's giving the impression that he's shot too far beyond not pandering like a typical politician and moved toward an impression of being arrogant to a point of believing he can do whatever the heck he wants with no accountability given.

My main point was about Ashland since the downtown proposal looks like it in part strengthens the bus lanes already on Washington and Madison by putting a bus lane all the way through and not just on the parts of the street leading into streets where currently right turns are possible. Emanuel actually has me questioning if he cares about a second term since he's giving the impression that he's shot too far beyond not pandering like a typical politician and moved toward an impression of being arrogant to a point of believing he can do whatever the heck he wants with no accountability given.

I'm not sure where you are going with this (with regard to transit).

The Urban Circulator/Bus and Bus Livability Project grants were announced by FTA on 07/08/2010, which was before Emanuel's time. The result of the alternatives planning was announced after Emanuel took over, but the concept was in place before then* (only questions were like whether the bike lane would be adjacent to the parking lane, in the preferred alternative, it isn't). Not clear whether CDOT (the sponsor of the project) has gone through all the regulatory hoops to get the construction money.

But, if there is any connection, it is not clear if CDOT got any CTA input before banning turns at State and Jackson and forcing the bus to Dearborn, and if and when the Washington-Madison project is built, a 151 is going to be able to make the right turn into the bus lane. For instance, one alternative at Jackson could have been a "bus only" traffic light, although that would have upped it to 6 cycles (if pedestrians get 1 out of 5 cycles now).

On the political point, pandering by other politicians** got us a do nothing state legislature that can only pass nanny laws, and a milquetoast governor whose only agenda is vetoing utility rate hike bills and the vetoes get overturned. Emanuel is not that, but he certainly is an unDemocrat. At least Daley made a pretense of keeping the coalition together, although stuff like Meigs Field (the only thing Kruesi did effectively) showed that he was an autocrat too. However, if the transit people didn't figure it out, the ones protesting the school closings figured out early that the public hearings meant nothing.

________

*And not original, as Washington had a bus lane in the middle and "safety islands" until the mid-70s.

**Of course, sw's "favorite politician" :wub: got 14 years for being the ultimate panderer.

For better or worse at lease the College Clowns didn't give Emanuel money for BRT.

But,i guess its okay to give 71 million for a airport that the Airlines don't want.

Not sure if you mean Gary, which was a tie up to try to prevent Peotone. However, Peotone is strictly a state deal, if anything happens there.