CTA Work Buses

BusExpert32

Does anyone know the current CTA work bus fleet and where each bus is parked? (One example- WB 1 at Chicago garage is former Flxible 6293).

Don't know where they're parked, but I know where #6293 was today!!!

Note the following items:

-LED front sign is gone

-the "Flxible" front emblem is gone, rear emblem has been painted black

-the "6" sticker and run # 6911(last operated on Route #75?)

post-10-12759454848511_thumb.jpg

post-10-1275945506756_thumb.jpg

post-10-12759455242482_thumb.jpg

This is a possible history of the WorkBus Fleet circa 2002-present

2002-2005: Flyer D901A, M.A.N Articulated(Seattle)

2005-2008?: Flyer D901A*, M.A.N Articulated(Seattle)*, TMC RTS(Narrow)

2008-2010: TMC RTS(Narrow)

2010: TMC RTS(Narrow), Flxible Metro

*= Eventually retired

Look for the TMC RTS(Narrow) to be replaced by Flxibles(there are around 285 buses parked at Archer, and the Ironworkers probably only have a fleet of between 5-15 retired buses, so it'll be easy to spare a few Flxibles and fully retire the TMC RTS(Narrow).

• 1 month later...

Don't know where they're parked, but I know where #6293 was today!!!

Note the following items:

-LED front sign is gone

-the "Flxible" front emblem is gone, rear emblem has been painted black

-the "6" sticker and run # 6911(last operated on Route #75?)

This is a sad site!

A couple of weeks ago I was by South Shops and seen 3 all white Flxibles along the fence on 79th street, does anyone know the plans for these buses?

Some were painted red and given to the Chicago Fire Department. But since they took the time to paint them white, they will be used for something.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Gotta wonder how long the Flxibles will be seen as workbuses(in the neglected states they appear in). With the NOVA LFS due for retirement, I imagine they'll be used as workbuses next.

They'll probably use the flx's until something major happens to it, but they could have Nova work buses by the end of the year. I'm kind of surprised they didn't use the #5800's for work buses. They wouldn't have to take their equipment up stairs!! :P

....I'm kind of surprised they didn't use the #5800's for work buses. They wouldn't have to take their equipment up stairs!! :P

I'm still kind of surprised that the 5800s were retired as soon as they were, as they were the same age (or probably a month or two younger) than the 6000s, got a major overhaul, and got retired before the 1991 series were completely retired. There must have been something wrong with them (given, for instance, that the replacement engines were the same as in the NABIs; DD50 EGR).

Since Nova LF 6400s will be replaced by same model....

As pointed out earlier, and probably reinforced by the Novabus site, Nova isn't assembling a 2002 specification bus in 2014. For instance, the engine can't be the same, as it now has to be 2013 EPA compliant.

Out of curiosity what kind of work are work buses used for?

As it's been explained to me by an Ironworker, they are used to carry equipment to and from the job sites for the CTA Ironworkers. This is the known history of buses used from 2002-Present.

-Flyer D901A

-M.A.N Articulated(Ironworker told me they had a few at one time, but I've never seen them)

-TMC RTS(4900-Series)

-Flxible Metro(6000-Series)