Who thinks the "Pink" Line should be built?

Buslover88

I think the Pink Line should be Built, who else thinks that? The Pink Line I think (if I owned CTA) should go from 67th/Leavit to Downtown Calument City. It would have 2 Branches sarparating from the main Line. I hope this happens by the Time 2009 rolls around. By the way, it would make the following Stops on the Main Line:71st/Leavit, 75th/Leavitt, 79th/Leavitt, 87th/Leavitt, 95th/Leavitt, 103rd/Leavitt, 107th/Leavitt, 111th/Leavitt, 115th/Leavitt, 119th/Leavitt (sarparates into a Branch, Stops:119th/Calforina and 119th/Scarmento) 125th/Leavitt, 130th/Leavitt, 135th/Leavitt, 140th/Leavitt, 147th/Leavitt, 151st/Leavitt, 159th/Leavitt, 167th/Leavitt, 171st/Leavitt (sarparates into another Branch, Stops:171st/Damen, 171st/Halsted, and 171st/IL/IND Border) 179th/Leavitt, 183rd/Leavit, 187th/Leavit, 191st/Leavit, 195th/Leavit, 199th/Leavitt and 203rd/Leavitt.

I doubt CTA would use pink as a line color. Eventually CTA will likely stop using colors to identify lines and use a letter/number system like New York.

I don't see the routing you've mentioned happening, as most CTA lines do not go that far from the city. Also, new lines or line extensions often take at least 10 years to plan and obtain funding.

The only extensions which will happen over the next 5-10 years will likely be the Yellow Line to Old Orchard, the Orange Line for Ford City, and the Red Line to 115th.

• 3 months later...

OT: For those who watched the classic "Power Ranger" TV Series when it debuted in the early '90's, now we can say that Chicago will have a line for just about every Ranger color on said show.  Blue, Green, Yellow, Red, and now Pink. In a way we do have Black(Not In Service).  So, all we need is white and we'll be set. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Actually you guys, the Pink is technically already built. It is currently what is now the 54/Cermak branch of the Blue line. Starting in late June, it will operate past the Eisenhower Expway, continuing north on the rehabbed Paulina Connector to the Green line and continue east into downtown. Once downtown, it will operate clockwise around the Loop and head back westbound. Personally, I think it should operate counterclockwise since the Green, Purple and Orange lines operate clockwise on the Loop. If I remember correctly that was the reasoning behind the Red line/Green line switcheroo of their respective south terminals back in 1993. They didn't want too many train lines operating in any given direction on the Loop elevated tracks.

Actually you guys, the Pink is technically already built. It is currently what is now the 54/Cermak branch of the Blue line. Starting in late June, it will operate past the Eisenhower Expway, continuing north on the rehabbed Paulina Connector to the Green line and continue east into downtown.  Once downtown, it will operate clockwise around the Loop and head back westbound. Personally, I think it should operate counterclockwise since the Green, Purple and Orange lines operate clockwise on the Loop. If I remember correctly that was the reasoning behind the Red line/Green line switcheroo of their respective south terminals back in 1993.  They didn't want too many train lines operating in any given direction on the Loop elevated tracks.

True about the Pink Line being the Cermak branch of the current Blue Line being rerouted to the Loop Elevated. However, there is one slight clarification about the Green Line routing in the Loop: Green Line trains actually use only the Lake and Wabash legs of the Loop; only in emergencies would Green Line trains use the Wells and Van Buren legs of the quadrangle.

As for the clockwise routing around the Inner Loop, remember that the Purple Line trains only operate during weekday rush hours. And Orange Line trains generally operate less frequently than Brown Line trains (which operate counterclockwise around the Outer Loop) do. Thus, having the Brown Line service all to itself on the Outer Loop does make sense. Had the Pink Line trains been operating counterclockwise around the Outer Loop, then Brown Line trains would either have to run much less frequently or be rerouted clockwise around the Inner Loop, potentially creating switching delays and disrupting service.

This shows how things get confused real quick. Buslover was proposing something entirely different (undoubtedly related to his very hypothetical southside proposal) 4 months before the CTA prempted his arbitrary nomenclature by appropriating the name "Pink Line" (he could have made the suggestion for rapid transit along a South Western Ave. alignment without naming it). To keep things clear, the discussion about Douglas actually being the Pink Line.

If I remember correctly that was the reasoning behind the Red line/Green line switcheroo of their respective south terminals back in 1993.  They didn't want too many train lines operating in any given direction on the Loop elevated tracks.

The reason for the Green/Red Lines (shall we say Howard, and Lake branches, as they are affectionally remembered by this writer) switching terminals had nothing to do with the Loop L. The reason was to combine the most populated lines, namely the Dan Ryan and Howard, and effectively use resources. By combining Howard and Dan Ryan, the CTA was able to use longer trains and run more of them in one place. By combining Lake and Jackson Park/Englewood, shorter trains with longer intervals were able to be used, as the ridership was considerably less. This was a project in the works from before the Dan Ryan branch was built.  

That's true about putting the busiest lines together. However, close to the same time the Orange line was sceduled to open later the same year. The CTA stated that it would be a safety hazard to have the increase in passenger traffic on the platforms that was expected from the Orange line.