Train tracker

Busjack

Maybe if Bus Tracker wins this it will spur the CTA to roll out their train tracker program sooner?

Although CTA Press Releases don't mention anything, the current Miss RedEye has a post that the CTA Board approved some orders to move this along. There was one illustration in the President's Report (page 15).

• 2 months later...

The CTA Tattler had mentioned that CTA "still hasn't worked out all the kinks and made Train Tracker more widely available," but as I noted there, it really hasn't been disclosed what the problem is.

I think they are close to a mobile Train Tracker release. For months, I have sporadically seen a fellow Green Line rider (CTA employee?) check what appears to be train arrival times on her Blackberry. Occasionally, I would hear her tell a companion that a train was coming in two minutes, or 5 minutes, or 8 minutes, etc. -- and she was almost always right. For the last few weeks, I have noticed that the BB display has gone from being all text-based to what appears to be multi-color and green displays. Hopefully, that heralds an imminent announcement.

One thing I noticed different in the illustration in the Press Release from that in the President's Report noted in the first post, is that the new display seems to have a run number, and instead of saying "toward 63rd," as in the President's Report, says "Cottage Grove," just like the roll signs do.

Considering that, on the equipment before the 5000s, the destination and run signs are rolls, is there now some way that the operator has to log in (similar to on the MDT on a bus) to tell the signal system this information? It has to be more complicated than just making estimates based on "the portion of the track occupied by the train," which is all I previously thought was necessary.

One thing I noticed different in the illustration in the Press Release from that in the President's Report noted in the first post, is that the new display seems to have a run number, and instead of saying "toward 63rd," as in the President's Report, says "Cottage Grove," just like the roll signs do.

Considering that, on the equipment before the 5000s, the destination and run signs are rolls, is there now some way that the operator has to log in (similar to on the MDT on a bus) to tell the signal system this information? It has to be more complicated than just making estimates based on "the portion of the track occupied by the train," which is all I previously thought was necessary.

The train operators log in to something similar to an MDT. Is there a particular reason that GPS can't be used to track trains like it does for Bus Tracker?

The train operators log in to something similar to an MDT. Is there a particular reason that GPS can't be used to track trains like it does for Bus Tracker?

Most likely interference in the Kimball, Milwaukee/Dearborn, and State Street Subways.

I wonder how it'll appear on a mobile device, like the bustracker?(e.g below)

Belmont Ave SB (Brn/Red/Prp)

Red to 95: 2 min-Run XXX

Brn to Loop: 4 min-Run XXX

Red to 95: 9 min-Run XXX

Brn to Loop: 11 min-Run XXX

Purple to Loop: 13 min-Run XXX

If, as conceded, the signal system has the information, there isn't a need to repeat. However, the 5000s do have gps. Of course, those before them don't.

My understanding is that the OCU that train operators log into is nothing like the MDT that bus operators log into. The OCU just controls the announcement system (which still has to be manually triggered). The MDT is what passes for a "communications" system on the buses.

The real question is what tells the Train Tracker display that it is "run 602 to Cottage Grove,"* no matter whether it is the same as on the bus or different. I'm sure that information can't be divined from just there is a train in the signal block at Lake and Damen.**

*Assuming that the display in the press release is not bogus.

**Unlike the audio message at Roosevelt-Wabash "A train is approaching from Downtown" (or something to that effect).

The public beta of Train Tracker is now live at http://www.transitchicago.com/traintracker.

I've had the opportunity to test an early version of Train Tracker over the past few weeks. It works rather well, and the mobile interface is better optimized for touch-screen devices than Bus Tracker.

The technological differences between Train Tracker and Bus Tracker are apparent. At stops close to the start of a line, you may not get actual predictions until the next train is just a few minutes away. On Bryn Mawr on the Red Line, for example, you won't see a southbound train prediction until the next train leaves Howard, which is about 8 minutes away. Northbound predictions at this station, however, are shown when trains are up to 15 minutes away.

At terminals, Train Tracker will only report scheduled arrival times as a train must start its run before predictions can be calculated.

Remember this is only a "beta" version of Train Tracker and more is planned going forward. There's a survey where you can provide feedback that will help shape the future of the service.

The one thing I saw that was a cop out is that if you select Red Line-Howard, it shows all lines at Howard, including

Service toward Loop

Purple Line #501 toward

Howard (or Loop, see sched.) star.gif11 min

Obviously, on Saturday, it isn't going to the Loop.

Given the other way:

Purple Line #503 toward

Linden star.gif5 min

the northbound train is sitting in the crossover, one would assume.

Of course, since both have asterisks, they are based on the schedule and not predictions, so one could have thought that they would have input the schedule properly

One also has to wonder that if #501 is late, whether there is enough layover time, or the sign should be accordingly adjusted.

Also, there is a new set of alerts affecting predictions, and hence two links indicating that the Yellow Line isn't running today.

Update: Kevin, you must have resulted in it being overloaded. :mellow::lol: At the moment I tried to get an Orange Line station to see how it performs on the Loop L, but all I am getting is a spinner.

Update 2: The CTA Tattler's Kevin also has a post, with illustrations of how it looks on a mobile device.

The only downside to the traintracker is you need to have a I-Phone or smartphone to use it. I have a standard cell phone that can pick up the bustracker just fine(e.g below)

Welcome to CTA Bus Tracker. Currently: 4:04PM 24* F

Selected Route: 11

Selected Direction: Northbound

Selected Stop: Lincoln & Addison/Ravenswood

#11 to Howard/McCormick

11 MIN

(Bus 1407)

But if I try to input the traintracker website to use, it says "File Format Unknown"

Hopefully this'll be addressed as time goes on so all web-enabled phones can use the train tracker, not just smartphones and I-Phones. I'm not going to spend money on a smartphone to replace a good working cell phone just so I can access the traintracker program.

The only downside to the traintracker is you need to have a I-Phone or smartphone to use it. I have a standard cell phone that can pick up the bustracker just fine(e.g below)

Welcome to CTA Bus Tracker. Currently: 4:04PM 24* F

Selected Route: 11

Selected Direction: Northbound

Selected Stop: Lincoln & Addison/Ravenswood

#11 to Howard/McCormick

11 MIN

(Bus 1407)

But if I try to input the traintracker website to use, it says "File Format Unknown"

Hopefully this'll be addressed as time goes on so all web-enabled phones can use the train tracker, not just smartphones and I-Phones. I'm not going to spend money on a smartphone to replace a good working cell phone just so I can access the traintracker program.

do you have an older Nokia phone, or a phone that can't handle ASP.Net?

• 2 years later...

There putting up the brackets at Addison/Blue line for the installation of Train Tracker signs. So far I just notice the ones on the platform. That should be nice, but the tracker needs to not only show the trains but show the buses, then they got a real efficient system. Strange, according to CTA, they were supposed to put up trackers at Morse/Red line and Granville/Red line next, but I don't see the Morse ones.

There putting up the brackets at Addison/Blue line for the installation of Train Tracker signs. So far I just notice the ones on the platform. That should be nice, but the tracker needs to not only show the trains but show the buses, then they got a real efficient system. Strange, according to CTA, they were supposed to put up trackers at Morse/Red line and Granville/Red line next, but I don't see the Morse ones.

Actually I believe some of those stations that have the Train Tracker signs do have BusTracker but they are separate and placed at the main entrance of the stations placed in a spot where there's room for them. I know the Belmont Red/Brown/Purple Line stop has it laid out that way. I think it might be that way at the Fullerton stop for those lines too but I'm not too sure.

Actually I believe some of those stations that have the Train Tracker signs do have BusTracker but they are separate and placed at the main entrance of the stations placed in a spot where there's room for them. I know the Belmont Red/Brown/Purple Line stop has it laid out that way. I think it might be that way at the Fullerton stop for those lines too but I'm not too sure.

Grand/Milwaukee blue line has bus information at the street level via a titan sign built into the advertising rack at the top of the stairs. The JCDecaux bus shelter on Grand at the #65 stop WB displays train arrivals and bus arrivals. The only one I know of like that in the city. Howard/Red line also has a titan sign in the south mezzanine (at the top of the stairs in the paid area) which displays bus and rail info.

There also putting up brackets at the Irving Pk/Blue line, Montrose/Blue line, Harlem/Blue line and Cumberland/Blue line so all stations Addison/Blue line to Cumberland/Blue line should have train tracker soon. Looks like the Cumberland one is going to have a titan sign displaying bus info, but I wonder why, they only have the #81W left there and I don't think those signs display Pace info unless they will here. In the late 90's/early 2000's they did have signs that did display Pace info as part of a pilot project, but the signs fell in disrepair and were left sitting for many years. I believe those signs have now been removed as part of this project.

....and I don't think those signs display Pace info unless they will here. In the late 90's/early 2000's they did have signs that did display Pace info as part of a pilot project, but the signs fell in disrepair and were left sitting for many years. I believe those signs have now been removed as part of this project.

If those signs rely on the CTA developer tools, Pace says that it doesn't give out sufficient information to create an app with its data.

There were a couple of places (such as Davis) where the RTA was running a tracker sign experiment. Other than that, Pace had a Siemens display outside the Linden station.

• 2 weeks later...

There also putting up brackets at the Irving Pk/Blue line, Montrose/Blue line, Harlem/Blue line and Cumberland/Blue line so all stations Addison/Blue line to Cumberland/Blue line should have train tracker soon. Looks like the Cumberland one is going to have a titan sign displaying bus info, but I wonder why, they only have the #81W left there and I don't think those signs display Pace info unless they will here. In the late 90's/early 2000's they did have signs that did display Pace info as part of a pilot project, but the signs fell in disrepair and were left sitting for many years. I believe those signs have now been removed as part of this project.

We can add Western/Milwaukee Blue line to the soon to have train tracker list. They have the brackets installed also.

We can add Western/Milwaukee Blue line to the soon to have train tracker list. They have the brackets installed also.

Seems like their adding brackets now all over the system. Spotted one at Western/brown line and the other elevated stations on the brown line seem to have a different L shaped bracket. Some stations already have new signs installed and working. South Blvd/purple line got the brackets and had the signs installed all in the last week. Monroe/Red line has working signs also. The signs are made by Global Display Solutions of Rockford, illinois The South Blvd signs say they were manufactured in Oct 2012 so it sounds like they have had enough time to manufacture signs for the whole system.