Changes At North

rotjohns

I haven't been at the Waukegan Metra Station in a couple of years, but I've noticed that Pace has basically stopped servicing to that station with only certain routes on the 565 and 571 running to that route. Any reason as to why?

Likely because the nearest bus stop on Sheridan and Washington is less than a two-block walk away from the Waukegan Metra station.

I don't know specifics in Waukegan, but Pace has said that it is using its IBS data, which now gives on time performance data per minute and passenger counts per trip, on a gps basis, to tweak routes. See the October minutes discussing Park Ridge service.*

There was a reposting of West schedules a couple of months ago, changing them by a couple of minutes on some routes. There are still Passenger Notices posted on line to similar effect at Southwest.

So, unless you have access to the Intelligent Bus System database, I guess you can assume such things as that people aren't riding the bus from the residential area of Vernon Hills to Hawthorne (is Pace still calling it Westfield?) or that a couple of buses to the Metra station are sufficient, and Pace expects whatever Metra riders there are to transfer to the other routes at the pulse point (which I guess is still at the windswept tundra on Sheridan Road instead of Genesee St.).

The only thing that may be surprising is that since they completely cut service to Westmoreland, they didn't post for a public hearing. Maybe they knew that no one was affected.

*One may note that they mentioned there that overall performance of the route does not save individual trips. Like Waukegan service, which is dependent on high school students having student haul passes, 240 and 241 numbers were dependent on Maine East and Maine South HSs.

Likely because the nearest bus stop on Sheridan and Washington is less than a two-block walk away from the Waukegan Metra station.

That's a heck of a walk, since you have to walk up a steep incline, crossover the "expressway" bridge to get to Sheridan. I believe basically there may not be enough room to line up all of the buses at the station itself. I'm not sure but is it possible that all can drop off at the station upon request?

That's a heck of a walk, since you have to walk up a steep incline, crossover the "expressway" bridge to get to Sheridan. I believe basically there may not be enough room to line up all of the buses at the station itself. I'm not sure but is it possible that all can drop off at the station upon request?

No they can't anybody wanting to ride to or from the station is expected to change to/from a 565 or 571. The specific trips on 565 and 571 travel via the Metra station on the way to Washington/Sheriden.

From the Pace website (merged from each route change description):-

"Route 561, 562, 563, 564, 568 & 572 will no longer operate to/from the Waukegan Metra Station; Instead, certain trips on Routes 565 and 571 will continue to provide service to/from the Waukegan Metra Station. Please see the updated Route 565 or Route 571 timetables for specific trip information. Please note that passengers may transfer to Route 565 or Route 571 at the bus stop on the southeast corner of Washington/Genesee in order to travel to the Waukegan Metra Station. Also, Routes 565 and 571 will serve the Waukegan Metra Station before arriving at the Washington/Sheridan transfer point."

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been noticing the route changes at north such as the 571 being reversed in Zion, 572 no longer serving Westmoreland/Oakwood in Vernon Hills, 562 no longer going to Continental Village, and other changes. I wonder why did they make those changes at North?

On time performance with 572 being the worst offender.

Also, on some routes, there is low ridership on various trips.

I remember years ago the 562 got a lot of passengers at Continental Village, but now there aren't that many. I suppose the economic situations are to blame, but it makes me wonder if there is a chance Pace might serve there again, if the traffic were to pick up.

The 572 was pretty bad for being on time, nowadays it is pretty close to schedule with the route change. I was talking to one of the drivers at the Pulse point at Washington and Sheridan; He said it is a much, much easier run now.