Pace Buses ride shoulder on I-55

teck22

Don't think this is the right place to put this... but

No MCI's on 877 888 today?

It may be that those buses are being wrapped for their new home in Joliet for the 755 and 855 routes. I have seen NABIs on those routes before.

I would also assume the new leased coaches will come from MCI, though Prevost has a new line of commuter coaches. Will they be here in time for Nov. 14 remains to be seen.

It may be that those buses are being wrapped for their new home in Joliet for the 755 and 855 routes. I have seen NABIs on those routes before.

Based on a picture in Moving Forward of a wrapped bus with a green dot matrix sign, it appears so. There is a fleet number on the rim above the right front window, which looks like 6905, after blowing up the pdf 300%.

Also says it has WiFi, which I assume had to be installed.

This is definately hard to see and I apologize in advance, but here is a picture of 2764 in the Pace I-55 wrap I spotted today at Yorktown on the #834. I didn't think Eldos were going over there, but apparently a few of them are.

Spotted 2760 today on the 832 in Lockport in the same bus wrapping. Now I'm beginning to wonder if there may be some shifting around to accomodate these buses that will be running the 755/855 along with their MCI counterparts.

Update: Now I just spotted 2704 running the 834. That's a NS bus isn't it?

Spotted 2760 today on the 832 in Lockport in the same bus wrapping. Now I'm beginning to wonder if there may be some shifting around to accomodate these buses that will be running the 755/855 along with their MCI counterparts.

1. Definitely a bus can't run on the shoulder without a wrap, but the question is whether this was intentional (in that they said at the board meeting on Oct 12 the wraps came in) or the leased buses haven't come through yet and they need spares.

2. It was until recently.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard on the news this morning that there charging $4 to ride this. I initially thought it was a little high, but if you figure in the free wifi maybe it's a fair deal. I still see Metra though being a better alternative. I'm surprised Metra doesn't have free wifi? BTW, I wonder if the wifi is available on the other routes the #6900's serve? It would seem like once it's installed it's there.

I heard on the news this morning that there charging $4 to ride this. I initially thought it was a little high, but if you figure in the free wifi maybe it's a fair deal. I still see Metra though being a better alternative. I'm surprised Metra doesn't have free wifi? BTW, I wonder if the wifi is available on the other routes the #6900's serve? It would seem like once it's installed it's there.

That's their usual express fare, and didn't go up. That's also what they started charging for Special Events fares when the FTA business started because that was the maximum fare charged on other routes.

In fact, I'm surprised that 877 and 888 are regular fare. Apparently at one time they were Express Fare (with the legend Regular/Express still on the route description pages, but only Regular in the table and not listed as Premium on the fare page).

The issue, of course, is that Metra is not an alternative here, as too far from the RI and BNSF; the Heritage Corridor doesn't run enough trains to be dependable.

As a bus driver in the Twin Cities I find driving on the shoulder very safe. Here is a video featuring Metro Transit shoulder driving . Reinventing Transit: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota

The main difference seems to be that in MN the operation is on the right shoulder, causing conflict with merging traffic. The Pace one is on the left shoulder, and is not authorized where there is a left exit from the expressway (old Joliet Road). Is entering traffic aware enough of the system that it doesn't get wiped out by the bus?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is definately hard to see and I apologize in advance, but here is a picture of 2764 in the Pace I-55 wrap I spotted today at Yorktown on the #834. I didn't think Eldos were going over there, but apparently a few of them are.

Based on today's WebWatch, it is on 755 now. Also, 6917 shows up on 877, but it still seems like there are many NABIs still on it and 888.

post-14-13310729736525_thumb.jpg post-14-13310729962653_thumb.jpg

It is back at NS (WebWatch and physical sightings).

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like both routes 755 and 855 have been a huge success. Next week, the 755 will extend to Union Station and the 855 will add a trip each rush hour and make adjustments to curb overcrowding. I will admit, I was worried it was gonna work in the beginning, but if you've got standing room only passengers on a coach bus, you're doing something right. The passenger notice also stated the final bus leaving downtown will be a smaller bus (would assume an El Dorado).

... The passenger notice also stated the final bus leaving downtown will be a smaller bus (would assume an El Dorado).

Since you mentioned it, I saw that.

Since Pace 834 is no longer here, I was wondering about the couple of spares Heritage was supposed to get (one of which I assumed would be used to add the service), or if, in fact, the leased buses are just 6910-6917 (of course x13) at South.

Since you mentioned it, I saw that.

Since Pace 834 is no longer here, I was wondering about the couple of spares Heritage was supposed to get (one of which I assumed would be used to add the service), or if, in fact, the leased buses are just 6910-6917 (of course x13) at South.

I did see a OTR one day over I-355 and it was basically a regular bus with a Pace sticker slapped on the side. I would think with the success of these routes as well as 877/888, would Pace consider buying more OTRs instead of leasing them like they currently do or putting more wear and tear on the Nabis on the 877/888?

I did see a OTR one day over I-355 and it was basically a regular bus with a Pace sticker slapped on the side. I would think with the success of these routes as well as 877/888, would Pace consider buying more OTRs instead of leasing them like they currently do or putting more wear and tear on the Nabis on the 877/888?

At least Webwatch indicates that they do use I-80, I-355 for the deadheads on 888 between Markham and Lisle (apparently now or soon to be Warrenville). I'm still not sure why the majority of the buses on 877-888 are not those you saw. If I were running Pace, I would resurrect the bid for the 11 OTRs, but I've noted elsewhere that you can't trust Quinn for the Illinois capital bill money, as indicated by this Tribune editorial, indicating that only1/3 of the state capital bill has been bonded out, due to problems with video gambling.

It looks like both routes 755 and 855 have been a huge success. Next week, the 755 will extend to Union Station and the 855 will add a trip each rush hour and make adjustments to curb overcrowding. I will admit, I was worried it was gonna work in the beginning, but if you've got standing room only passengers on a coach bus, you're doing something right. The passenger notice also stated the final bus leaving downtown will be a smaller bus (would assume an El Dorado).

ABC7 News was reporting yesterday that they also had an uptick in ridership due in part to the recent spike in Chicago area gas prices. One rider they interviewed was saying that the $4 per trip fare was a lot more appealing than possibly having to pay close to ten times that every couple days or so to keep her car gassed up and travel into the loop everyday on top of fighting heavy car traffic, which she doesn't have to worry about with the bus moving along the shoulder. Heck I guess $4 for a trip in or out of downtown from some of the farther southwest burbs would sound more appealing than $4.54 to $4.78 for just one gallon of gas any day.

• Upvote 1

ABC7 News was reporting yesterday that they also had an uptick in ridership due in part to the recent spike in Chicago area gas prices. One rider they interviewed was saying that the $4 per trip fare was a lot more appealing than possibly having to pay close to ten times that every couple days or so to keep her car gassed up and travel into the loop everyday on top of fighting heavy car traffic, which she doesn't have to worry about with the bus moving along the shoulder. Heck I guess $4 for a trip in or out of downtown from some of the farther southwest burbs would sound more appealing than $4.54 to $4.78 for just one gallon of gas any day.

It beats paying $15-$20 round trip in a car. About the price of a quarter tank of gas for most cars. Also there's the aggravation of stop go driving.

It beats paying $15-$20 round trip in a car. About the price of a quarter tank of gas for most cars. Also there's the aggravation of stop go driving.

Not to mention paying $25 for parking downtown.

What also might be a reason why the demonstration is successful is that Pace made sure that it was a pleasant riding experience.

• 2 weeks later...

The 755 Video has been updated to reflect the West Loop/ Union Station addition.

They also happened to update the bus stop signs along Harrison so that the stops served by the 755 no longer have a separate Pace sign. Instead the 755 is now listed on the CTA signs with the new Union Station destination similar to the combined CTA/Pace signs on 95th and Halsted listing the 352 and 359 for example.

To show that Pace is still behind the times, most other transit agencies that order OTR coaches are ordering 45ft coaches that seat 55 or 56 with restroom or 57or 58 passenger coaches without restroom. Pace is still using the old standard 40ft 49 (w/o restroom) coach.

NYMTA - Prevost XL II

Houston - MCI D4505

SW Transit (Twin Cities) - MCI D4505

L.A. - MCI D4505

Those OTR buses were delivered in 2002 and are pushing 10 years. If, big if, new coaches are ordered in the future they may be 45 foot. Eventho the leased MCI's I guess are also 40 feet.

Mel

The original IFB for up to 50 asked for 4 prices: hybrid or conventional and 40 or 45 foot. The request was for:

15 40 foot diesel

10 40 foot hybrid

15 45 foot diesel

10 45 foot hybrid

Of course, it said that Pace could order any combination and the quantities indicated "are for evaluative purposes only."

So, Pace in 2009 at least had the prices for the four types. But, as indicated throughout the forums, while Pace said that it approved a contract for 11, it apparently never gave the Notice to Proceed. And while people said in 2009 that it was for an I-55 project, apparently this one did not come to fruition in time to buy buses.