New Flyers (2006)

Buslover88

Hi All;

In reply to post #11, I'd like a simulation of a new color scheme. How about taking off the gray as an example. BTW, I went to Las Vegas 2/25/06 and returned 2/28/06. I got to ride The Deuce double decker bus on the Strip. Also saw a few New Flyer low floor artics with 3 doors.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in chicago this week, I saw a 4400 series out of 103rd on the #145 bus (which that is out of North Park).

Perhaps the shuffling has begun.

Maybe you're right, just today im seeing more and more buses.A certain type is flxible (6000 series). On routes like #15 maybe it has occured.

When I was in chicago this week, I saw a 4400 series out of 103rd on the #145 bus (which that is out of North Park).

How could you tell? Did it still have an 03 sticker? As previously noted, NP has about 160 4400s, no longer in any particular fleet order. While 103 had what was left of the old Archer and Cicero buses (higher 4500s, 4600s; originally Kedzie buses), I'm sure its were not in any fleet order, either.

A certain type is flxible (6000 series). On routes like #15 maybe it has occured.
Buses in the 6070-6100 range have been running on 103 routes for a couple of years now (after they were swapped with 77th, which received 5300 series buses from 103).

How could you tell? Did it still have an 03 sticker? As previously noted, NP has about 160 4400s, no longer in any particular fleet order. While 103 had what was left of the old Archer and Cicero buses (higher 4500s, 4600s; originally Kedzie buses), I'm sure its were not in any fleet order, either.

Yup. the "03" sticker was still on the windshield of the bus.

"im just gussing" but maybe a justification for assigning the 1000s to Archer is that X49 and 62 need a higher capacity bus, especially since the 7800s are not coming. In such case, the 6400s might be moved, as RJL suggests. Also, in light of prior statements in this thread that no retirements are contemplated because of the need to increase the fleet, and my sage prognostication that more buses will be needed to cover the West Side implementation in July, my bet is that the Archer 5600s may not be moving. Similarly, Chicago might be getting 1000s only because of the X20 and constant complaints that 66 is overloaded.

Swamy Murph Predicts (670 radio at noon) that some of the 6500s that started at 77 and then went to Archer will go back to 77 and the 5300s that are in worse shape there eventually go first. Or The Amazing Kreskin has them going to 74th to run on X9.

my sage prognostication that more buses will be needed to cover the West Side implementation in July, my bet is that the Archer 5600s may not be moving. Similarly, Chicago might be getting 1000s only because of the X20 and constant complaints that 66 is overloaded.

I will second that prognostication because since the majority of routes on that corridor belong to either Kedzie, Chicago, and maybe Archer (which has 127 currently...Kedzie or Archer?), it wouldn't make sense to retire yet...unless those 5300's are already messed up.

Can't neccessarily find the garage reassignment thread, so I'll tie this into the previous posts: just noticing that on Wednesday, I saw 6211 going NB on Michigan Avenue as a 146 (this is a bus from 74th, the run however has North Park on the display). perhaps this is another sign of some kind of garage reassignment or not.

Dave

From the above and similar reports, it sounds like there is some sort of equipment shortage at North Park. Flxibles are seen on its routes only rarely (I did see one on Devon at the time of the big swap to get the buses with preheaters at NP, and before that there was a 5700 sitting at Howard).

127 is a 77th run (confirmed by the garage list in the ADA plan), but since it won't be going to Northerly Ireland (Happy St. Pat's day) after the West Side plan is implemented, but to Roosevelt-Damen, Uri Geller predicts that it will be Kedzie (and will bend bus 7703 using mentalism).:rolleyes:

Yesterday I finally got a chance to ride one of these. #1003 running on Archer to Dearborn and Kinzie. They are much nicer than the Nova's. My only concern is the rear easy opening doors. How well will this system age? I even got a chance to see the wheelchair lift in operation. A very smooth operation.

To the people who have ridden a #1000 Series New Flyer and a #5800 Series New Flyer recently:

Do the #1000 Series New Flyers sound just like the #5800 Series New Flyers, or do they sound different(like the #6000's are different sounding as opposed to the #5300's).