1249 destination signs

ctrabs74

During my vacation in Chicago, I spotted 1249 with what looked like a different headsign from the rest of the New Flyer fleet. Looks to be the Luminator Titan LED sign as opposed to the Horizon sign standard on the CTA Flyer fleet. The Titan sign has been the standard headsign for NYC and Ottawa buses.

Photos were taken Wednesday at the 95-Dan Ryan terminal.

post-133-13140777542692_thumb.jpg

post-133-13140777743143_thumb.jpg

I don't think that is a Titan sign, I have them and the font is not the same. At that character height, lower case letters do not exist.

That's the usual distinction.

On the other hand, the Twinvisions did have bold lower case. I don't know if that heads us in the right direction or not.There was also the one Nova with the Aesys sign.

• Upvote 1

Yes 1249's destination sign is unique from the rest of the 1000s and other current CTA NF models. It's been spoken on before in a different thread during it's move from 77th Garage to Kedzie Garage and a short time later from Kedzie to it's current home at 103rd Garage.

Yes 1249's destination sign is unique from the rest of the 1000s and other current CTA NF models. It's been spoken on before in a different thread during it's move from 77th Garage to Kedzie Garage and a short time later from Kedzie to it's current home at 103rd Garage.

Some of the Pace #6600 Nabis have this destination sign.

That's the usual distinction.

On the other hand, the Twinvisions did have bold lower case. I don't know if that heads us in the right direction or not.There was also the one Nova with the Aesys sign.

I doubt that it was a TwinVision sign. The rear sign had what I thought was the distinctive Luminator font that I'm used to seeing on SEPTA's 2008-2011 hybrid buses.

I doubt that it was a TwinVision sign. The rear sign had what I thought was the distinctive Luminator font that I'm used to seeing on SEPTA's 2008-2011 hybrid buses.

You can't go by that.

If nothing else, CTA was putting all sorts of weird headsigns on the about 5850s, but that didn't affect the back. Pace changed the front without changing the back on 6155, which has a green back sign but orange front and side ones.

Is there anyone out there that knows whether CTA 6441, 6515, etc. are similar (i.e. orange or color front, but green back)?

You can't go by that.

If nothing else, CTA was putting all sorts of weird headsigns on the about 5850s, but that didn't affect the back. Pace changed the front without changing the back on 6155, which has a green back sign but orange front and side ones.

Is there anyone out there that knows whether CTA 6441, 6515, etc. are similar (i.e. orange or color front, but green back)?

6441 has all orange signs, 6515 has Amber LED headsign but flipdot Run number box, 6518, has White LED Headsigns but amber side and rear signs

• Upvote 2

6441 has all orange signs, 6515 has Amber LED headsign but flipdot Run number box, 6518, has White LED Headsigns but amber side and rear signs

Other thing about Nova 6515 back in the day, it had LED Destination sign with route number in red/ or white color.

You can't have destination signs from two different companies in the same bus, it would require two ODKs. The white signs are just a different sign by Luminator so that is fine (or mix any type of Luminator sign).

what about the flxible 6000s? Weren't they using different signs when they got the rehab with LEDs for the headsigns only?

You can't have destination signs from two different companies in the same bus, it would require two ODKs. The white signs are just a different sign by Luminator so that is fine (or mix any type of Luminator sign).

That's not necessarily true. When I was in Rochester, N.Y., they pulled out the Transdot controllers and put in Gulton (I guess a predecessor of Luminator) controllers without changing the signs because "the Gultons had more signs stored in them," and the newer buses had Gultons and they wanted to standardize. Still worked, although the scrolling was weird on the old signs.

what about the flxible 6000s? Weren't they using different signs when they got the rehab with LEDs for the headsigns only?

They got orange in front and kept green on the others, but they didn't look like they were Twinvisions--looked like Luminator.

On the other hand, it's hard to explain what ran all the different signs on the 5850s.

Maybe a Luminator ODK can run different kinds of Luminator signs, and a Twinvision can run different kind of Twinvision signs, but it still hasn't been explained how the signs on the buses at issue can have different font sets, given, again, the observation that Luminators generally do not have bold lower case. Again, if someone has a picture with that as the case, please post a link.

That's not necessarily true. When I was in Rochester, N.Y., they pulled out the Transdot controllers and put in Gulton (I guess a predecessor of Luminator) controllers without changing the signs because "the Gultons had more signs stored in them," and the newer buses had Gultons and they wanted to standardize. Still worked, although the scrolling was weird on the old signs.

They got orange in front and kept green on the others, but they didn't look like they were Twinvisions--looked like Luminator.

On the other hand, it's hard to explain what ran all the different signs on the 5850s.

Maybe a Luminator ODK can run different kinds of Luminator signs, and a Twinvision can run different kind of Twinvision signs, but it still hasn't been explained how the signs on the buses at issue can have different font sets, given, again, the observation that Luminators generally do not have bold lower case. Again, if someone has a picture with that as the case, please post a link.

e

I may not have a picture but I do know when I rode it on the 95E, they had it in different fonts sets instead of the usual

"95E 93RD/95TH TO" font, it was mixed i.e "95E 93rd/95th to"

I may not have a picture but I do know when I rode it on the 95E, they had it in different fonts sets instead of the usual

"95E 93RD/95TH TO" font, it was mixed i.e "95E 93rd/95th to"

I wasn't referring to that (the picture posted at the top of the page clearly illustrates the bold lowercase), but a link to a picture of something undoubtedly a Titan that had bold lowercase on it.

Sorry I did not clarify, any Luminator Sign (or set of signs) can work with a Luminator ODK, for example, I have a side Titan sign (because you can not buy flip dot signs anymore) in a bus with a Flip Dot front sign. Because Luminator has only sold Titian signs to a limited amount of properties, including mine, the font set is EXTREMELY limited so there is no lower case. It is possible that CTA created lower case letters (there is a font editor in the program) but it is a lot of work. If I had to guess I would say this is a Twinvision coming out with a sign to equal the Titian or AESYS?

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/23/2011 at 11:39 AM, jajuan said:

#1249 later went to Chicago Garage, then briefly returned to 103rd, and since this past April it's back at 77th.

By the way, as someone else noted in another thread the signs on #1249 are the same as the ones on the CTA's two electric buses - Hanover.

6 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

#1249 later went to Chicago Garage, then briefly returned to 103rd, and since this past April it's back at 77th.

By the way, as someone else noted in another thread the signs on #1249 are the same as the ones on the CTA's two electric buses - Hanover.

I thought 701 and 702's signs were familiar for some reason. It slipped my mind that it was because of 1249 from it and so many of the other 1000's having been moved so much these past couple of years.

11 hours ago, jajuan said:

I thought 701 and 702's signs were familiar for some reason. It slipped my mind that it was because of 1249 from it and so many of the other 1000's having been moved so much these past couple of years.

HEY!!! You're not supposed to talk about 702!!! That's the bus nobody is supposed to know about!!! :PxD 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Amber of white color are both available, even white color for left route number and amber color for right destination information. The front, side, rear, internal destination signs are not necessary to be same color. Regarding the fonts, you can choose the size and width in the program editor as you want. 

Normally, destination signs from different companies are not compatible because of different communication protocol. For more info, visit LED destination signs.