Clean Windows Please

artthouwill

Is it me or are all of the windows 9aside from the windshield dirty or foggy on Pace buses? This does not seem to be a problem on CTA, and this wasn't a problem on any model before the Orion V and NABI models. The biggest culprits seem to be at Pace's WEst and South Divisions. I believe it is an exterior problem moreso that the interior. Pace doesn't seem interested in tinted windows any longer, but at least those were clean.

Is it me or are all of the windows 9aside from the windshield dirty or foggy on Pace buses? This does not seem to be a problem on CTA, and this wasn't a problem on any model before the Orion V and NABI models. The biggest culprits seem to be at Pace's WEst and South Divisions. I believe it is an exterior problem moreso that the interior. Pace doesn't seem interested in tinted windows any longer, but at least those were clean.

I always believed the windows were foggy because they are plastic unbreakable windows (like a form of plexiglass) and they tend to scratch. All Pace NABI's have this. The windshield is glass however and can shatter.(If you can remember in the early 1980's the CTA used to have plastic windows on there #9600 fleet and they scratched and looked foggy too until they were swapped out for the sliding window retrofits.) The latest Orions and Eldo's seem to be glass with no tinting.

I thought it was just South Division that just don't care for cleaning up their NABI bus windows because every NABI I see down there are super dirty, but I do see some West Division's NABIs are in same situation. When South Division had couple remaining 1993 Orion 1s (2309/ 2325) back in 2007 before their retirement, their windows were still clean like new windows. And I'll have to agree sort of that Nova Classic's window were more cleaner than Orion VIs.

How timely. I believe the windows are not "cloudy" just because they are plastic, they are also dirty. Just this morning around 6:15, 6254 pulled along side of me. But before I saw the number, I knew it was one of the recent transfers. While it was dirty from the rain, it was cleaner than most South division buses on a clear day. I see a.m. pullouts because of my work hours and many days I have pointed out dirty buses to those riding with me.

Not long ago South and Southwest buses operated with good paint, clean windows, clean wheels, especially the rear duals with all splashguards in place. (pardon me, I'm waxing)

• 2 months later...

I spotted something interesting on NABI bus #6290 out of West. All the lower windows (not the top ones that open) have been replaced with what appears to be glass windows. They also replaced all the weather stripping, which was a big clue, from gray to black. I wonder if this is being done to the other buses in the same series. These are alot clearer than the plastic version and look better.

I spotted something interesting on NABI bus #6290 out of West. All the lower windows (not the top ones that open) have been replaced with what appears to be glass windows. They also replaced all the weather stripping, which was a big clue, from gray to black. I wonder if this is being done to the other buses in the same series. These are alot clearer than the plastic version and look better.

I doubt it if it's gonna be done on 1998-99 NABI 2401s, since they're on their way for retirement no time soon.

One thing Ive noticed about South Division buses, why are they always so dirty? They have so much body damage, scratches, There is so much soot always collected all around the exhaust stack on top and not to mention the dirty windows! One morning I drove Orion #2293 down to Pace South for a parts run, I saw a couple of NABIs driving past me in the yard and they look as though theyve seen better days!

One thing Ive noticed about South Division buses, why are they always so dirty? They have so much body damage, scratches, There is so much soot always collected all around the exhaust stack on top and not to mention the dirty windows! One morning I drove Orion #2293 down to Pace South for a parts run, I saw a couple of NABIs driving past me in the yard and they look as though theyve seen better days!

Basically, that's the only division that gets hard use (i.e. routes with city frequency and loads, like 352 Halsted). Maybe West has comparable use. Don't know if there is a comparative analysis of maintenance practices among the divisions.

Also, maybe they think that by mid 2013, they will have a new fleet. :lol:

Basically, that's the only division that gets hard use (i.e. routes with city frequency and loads, like 352 Halsted). Maybe West has comparable use. Don't know if there is a comparative analysis of maintenance practices among the divisions.

Also, maybe they think that by mid 2013, they will have a new fleet. :lol:

If these buses at South are that busy, which I dont deny, then the maintenance team at South needs to work a little harder to make those buses look a little more presentable. Obviously theres are maintenance issues at South. The buses just look awful! Pace West and NW buses see the same hard service as their South counterparts. But yet those buses always looking in good shape and well maintained! Our NABIs that we ran at Academy sem to be in good shape, Ive only had maybe two (Nabi) breakdowns in the four years I worked there!. They didnt have good wash facilities there yet the buses remained clean for the most part.

I grew up in Detroit Area, Every time I see mostly NABIs from South Division, their condition reminds me of Detroit D-DOT/ Smart Fleet of how they never take care of their bodies, Even D-DOT's New Flyers that are 5 & less years old are already rusty beat up as their RTSes and SMART's Gilligs.

I doubt it if it's gonna be done on 1998-99 NABI 2401s, since they're on their way for retirement no time soon.

I just mean't the blue liveried ones. It would make sense to change those out since they'll be around for longer. As far as why South has such bad equipment, they do have some of the oldest equipment at Pace. (North might be having similar issues) They don't have Eldo's like NW to fall back on for the weekends, and West has newer buses. Probably when the new order comes in, South would be the logical place to start, then North or West depending on whether they would want North to get new buses or not. They may end up with the newer NABI's at West.

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted the same on 6249 and 6312 today. They do look very nice. I haven't seen any on the 6600s nor have I made a trip out south yet to see if the same is being done at South.

Spotted the same on 6249 and 6312 today. They do look very nice. I haven't seen any on the 6600s nor have I made a trip out south yet to see if the same is being done at South.

I'm surprised one of the older NABI's (#6249) was done. That particular series might be gone by 2015 if they get 416 of the axess.

Bus 6273 and6280, 6286 and 6296 6308 also has the black weather stripping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are still more than few of NABIs at South Division has dirty, scratchy Windows, I just spotted #6182 working 356 with most of the windows are so scratched up like it's been written on it.

This is why I am so worried about the new buses heading to South. Although it happens on every area, South seems to be getting it the worst when it comes to windows and probably everywhere else inside their buses.

• 7 years later...