CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

The original rationale (if there was one) of the Crowding Reduction Plan was that the millions of dollars were going to be reallocated to other routes. Here, whoever rides route 65 gets the benefit of whatever crowd reduction results, not just Metra riders who got on at Artesian for an express ride. Certainly those getting off at Clybourn Station aren't getting alternative service.

As far as the 125, apparently at one time Metra thought it worthwhile to allow its UP passengers to bypass downtown inbound (but apparently not outbound in the afternoon), but now not for what the CTA was asking. At least the article confirms that it was Metra that was subsidizing the route.

Originally the 33 did run both in the morning and afternoon. The route started 4/17/89 and, due to poor useage, the pm service was withdrawn 4/1/90. The problem was that if you want a good seat on a pm rush hour train you need to get on at the downtown terminus.

Metra paid for a pm service, at lower frequency, to be restored 9/30/91 but the subsidy and the pm service was finally withdrawn 2/28/92.

• 3 weeks later...

Look under cta Bus Alerts...hit Upcoming tab and it will give you info on 33, 48, 52, 54A, 68, 85A, 88, X98, N151 &169.

The interesting things here are:

169-Apparently UPS was not willing to pay the entire freight, so the number of runs was cut.

X98-Ditto that, plus no northbound service, and the only southbound service is at 10:40 p.m. Otherwise, the notice says to take Pace 208 and 210. Left out 423. However, it is obvious that Harborquest is only paying for one bus because Pace pretty much has ended service in that area before then,* and for those who said that Forest Glen was taking over the route, there sure is no reason to run an articulated bus on that one trip. Harborquest should have just gone back to dealing with Pace.

*Update: Last eastbound 208 at 10:11 p.m.

The interesting things here are:

169-Apparently UPS was not willing to pay the entire freight, so the number of runs was cut.

X98-Ditto that, plus no northbound service, and the only southbound service is at 10:40 p.m. Otherwise, the notice says to take Pace 208 and 210. Left out 423. However, it is obvious that Harborquest is only paying for one bus because Pace pretty much has ended service in that area before then,* and for those who said that Forest Glen was taking over the route, there sure is no reason to run an articulated bus on that one trip. Harborquest should have just gone back to dealing with Pace.

*Update: Last eastbound 208 at 10:11 p.m.

Now I understand why there going to Fg with the #X98. It's running out of Jeff Pk now instead of Irving Pk. You got to love how there sneaking in a few service cuts to #54A, #85A and #88 each is getting service cut by up to a hour and a half. The #54A seems to get hurt the worst with no replacement service. Too bad it's not an April Fool's joke!! :P

To be honest I'm surprised the 33 lasted this long after being cut down to AM rush only. They are going to start the 48 a little earlier in the morning but its overall service time in the morning is still cut down by an hour with slightly longer headways. As for the 52's change, bringing that to the thread where these changes are being discussed, Blago actually lived further north so I don't see the connection with him. But the parking lot Busjack mentions in reference to the current turnaround point apparently belongs to ComEd as a business address for them that isn't a PO box is 3400 N California. 169 at least survives somewhat more intact than X98.

...Blago actually lived further north so I don't see the connection with him. But the parking lot Busjack mentions in reference to the current turnaround point apparently belongs to ComEd as a business address for them that isn't a PO box is 3400 N California.

Pretty sure he had to pass it when the traffic copters followed his black car from the federal courthouse to back home.

Anyway, my only point was that I didn't have any reason to be there.

To be honest I'm surprised the 33 lasted this long after being cut down to AM rush only.

In the morning, from Clybourn there were a good number of people from UP-NW trains that got on. It was much faster than going downtown and catching the 125 back up to Michigan Ave. In the afternoon the same people prefer to catch the 125 back to the station to ensure a good seat on the train.

In the morning, from Clybourn there were a good number of people from UP-NW trains that got on. It was much faster than going downtown and catching the 125 back up to Michigan Ave. In the afternoon the same people prefer to catch the 125 back to the station to ensure a good seat on the train.

Well either CTA didn't think it was worth holding on to or Metra didn't want to pay the extra dough to keep it. Plus 125 is the only good option in the afternoon anyway. Sure 132 is still available but it doesn't sound like those using that Metra line would want to chance it with needing to get another bus to the 132. And 151 is too crowded relatively speaking and has to move through more traffic and therefore slower.

For my reason similarly implied with the 33 I'd really be surprised the X98 survives that long after April 1st when it gets cut down to nothing more than a single southbound nightly trip on weeknights. Remember when 173 got reduced to northbound only that was the beginning of the end for that route.

...Sure 132 is still available but it doesn't sound like those using that Metra line would want to chance it with needing to get another bus to the 132.

Let's remember that the only reason 132 is still there is that Wrigley paid to keep it running to its headquarters. The analogy I made earlier is that the intent of X98 wasn't to get someone from Popeye's on Golf Road home after late evening heartburn.

Let's remember that the only reason 132 is still there is that Wrigley paid to keep it running to its headquarters. The analogy I made earlier is that the intent of X98 wasn't to get someone from Popeye's on Golf Road home after late evening heartburn.

True. I merely brought up 132 as one of the examples of alternate service CTA would likely mention to get to the UP-NW and UP-N lines.

OK why is Tracy Swartz leaving the impression that new loop on the north end of the 52 is a service cut when all it is is CTA routing northbound buses on to Belmont over to Campbell and the DeVry parking lot up to Addison before coming back to California to get the buses turned around since they won't have use of the turnaround outside the ComEd offices. She mentions it in her article about the true service cuts to 33, 54A, 48, 85A, 88, X98, 169 and owl service on 151.

OK why is Tracy Swartz leaving the impression that new loop on the 52 is a service cut when all it is is CTA routing northbound buses on to Belmont over to Campbell and the DeVry parking lot up to Addison before coming back to California. She mentions it in her article about the true service cuts to 33, 54A, 48, 85A, 88, X98, 169 and owl service on 151.

Probably because she can't distinguish the reason you listed in the second sentence.

In fact, it appears to be a service improvement to Gordon Tech.

It won't be running through the parking lot. But it will go right by it.

That's right, as it is on public streets.

But stressing the positives, I thought it was going up Elston until I realized that it was going east of the River. If anyone at CTA had any brains they would have posted that Gordon Tech and DeVry were directly served, even if it is not that close to Lane Tech.

And I guess us old timers finally figured out what happened to Riverview Park. :o

It won't be running through the parking lot. But it will go right by it.

Alright glanced at that part incorrectly but the point still is that's still a service IMPROVEMENT and not a cut as Tracy stated it was because they moved northbound buses off California north of Belmont.

Alright glanced at that part incorrectly but the point still is that's still a service IMPROVEMENT and not a cut as Tracy stated it was because they moved northbound buses off California north of Belmont.

No argument there. I've been wondering for years why the 52 always ended 2 blocks from the closest bus connection (152). This is an improvement. I remember riding the Addison bus as a kid and seeing people get off and run like hell for 2 blocks to catch the 52 before it left the turnaround..

No argument there. I've been wondering for years why the 52 always ended 2 blocks from the closest bus connection (152). This is an improvement. I remember riding the Addison bus as a kid and seeing people get off and run like hell for 2 blocks to catch the 52 before it left the turnaround..

Because one branch of the CSL Kedzie streetcar line went to there starting in 1915.

I bet CTA did not put further thought into it since then (other than using the turnaround).

And there probably wasn't transit service on Addison then (eventually became a CMC route).

OK why is Tracy Swartz leaving the impression that new loop on the north end of the 52 is a service cut when all it is is CTA routing northbound buses on to Belmont over to Campbell and the DeVry parking lot up to Addison before coming back to California to get the buses turned around since they won't have use of the turnaround outside the ComEd offices. She mentions it in her article about the true service cuts to 33, 54A, 48, 85A, 88, X98, 169 and owl service on 151.

Rereading her article, I now don't have such a harsh view of it.

She seems to be just repeating what was in the alert.

However, I still wonder--why is this in the inconspicuous place of the Upcoming alerts tab when it goes into effect this weekend?

Rereading her article, I now don't have such a harsh view of it.

She seems to be just repeating what was in the alert.

However, I still wonder--why is this in the inconspicuous place of the Upcoming alerts tab when it goes into effect this weekend?

I'm not letting her off the hook with this one because although yes she's repeating what's in the alert, she still should be bright enough to make the connection that particular instance is not a service cut but at the least a permanent service reroute. Her article title said nine routes were seeing service cuts for the spring. She obviously was counting 52's reroute as a service cut given that article title.

What I saw was that they were no longer allowed to use the terminal (no reason why) at Roscoe and the loop

allowed connections to the 152 route.

My point that that's still an improvement even with the northbound buses no longer on California north of Belmont come Sunday morning. With the current route you have to jog a couple of blocks between the routes. It's actually quite funny that losing use of the off street terminal in front of ComEd brings about an improvement of connections for a second time in recent years. The first of course was when the 12 got kicked out of the Monitor terminal.