CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

Well I found a flaw in the current May 2013 system map. It gives the X98 as still operating between the Irving Park Blue Line station and Avon bidirectionally. But we all know that they cut the service back to one evening trip per weeknight from Avon to Jefferson Park the same week that they changed the 52's north terminus, eliminated the 33, cut 151 owl service and reduced hours and/or frequency on the 48, 54A, 81W, 85A and 88. In fact it doesn't even mention that weekday non-rush frequency is 35 minutes on 81W.

Well I found a flaw in the current May 2013 system map. It gives the X98 as still operating between the Irving Park Blue Line station and Avon bidirectionally. But we all know that they cut the service back to one evening trip per weeknight from Avon to Jefferson Park the same week that they changed the 52's north terminus, eliminated the 33, cut 151 owl service and reduced hours and/or frequency on the 48, 54A, 81W, 85A and 88. In fact it doesn't even mention that weekday non-rush frequency is 35 minutes on 81W.

There's another flaw. On the bottom left side, where they stated the changes to some routes and the description, one says "54A South Cicero" where it should've stated "54A North Cicero(/Skokie Blvd.)" They'd obviously made a mistake on that.

But I'm not all that mad, because they'll change the maps again, when the shutdown ends, and maybe next January 2014 too. They've been issuing new maps within several weeks apart, instead of the typical twice a year, and even sometimes once a year in some cases.

• Upvote 1

There's another flaw. On the bottom left side, where they stated the changes to some routes and the description, one says "54A South Cicero" where it should've stated "54A North Cicero(/Skokie Blvd.)" They'd obviously made a mistake on that.

But I'm not all that mad, because they'll change the maps again, when the shutdown ends, and maybe next January 2014 too. They've been issuing new maps within several weeks apart, instead of the typical twice a year, and even sometimes once a year in some cases.

Granted the biggest change is the shutdown of the Dan Ryan section of the Red Line for total reconstruction and related termporary reroutes in relation to the shutdown. But They made changes in bus service that have nothing to do with the shutdown so it makes sense to do better proofreading of their mention of the changes. Remember there are folks who use the system who are not transit enthusiasts like us or otherwise may not use the system on a regular enough basis that they wouldn't find typos and errors that can be easily overlooked and don't misdirect to the wrong service. In those cases, five months to sometimes a year till another reprint with errors corrected is a long ways off. :)

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

On a related topic, since it involves the 111 bus*, is that the 9th Ward alderman had to hit CTA over the head about an apparent breach of an agreement to serve the Walmart in Pullman Park. Brian Steele was apparently embarrassed enough to say at the end that CTA would do something about it. The article also points out that Walmart put in a bus turnaround, obviating the usual objection about a bus on private property. Also, the bus does serve Tarzhay.

Tribune.

________

* Actually an error in the article; 115 is on Cottage, as far as the statement about now stopping on Cottage, but maybe CTA is rerouting 111 nonetheless.

CTA in the article says it will cost $680,000 to extend the two routes to Wallmart. It appears that the CTA would like some sort of payment to extend the routes.

Since I put this in this thread, presumably, except it isn't a private contract route, and the article made it pretty clear that if CTA didn't provide the route it would be breaching its contract with the developer.

Of course, I question Beale's assertion that increased ridership will pay for it.

CTA in the article says it will cost $680,000 to extend the two routes to Wallmart. It appears that the CTA would like some sort of payment to extend the routes.

Since I put this in this thread, presumably, except it isn't a private contract route, and the article made it pretty clear that if CTA didn't provide the route it would be breaching its contract with the developer.

Of course, I question Beale's assertion that increased ridership will pay for it.

Neither of those gets CTA off the hook that they admitted to signing the contract two years ago to provide service upon the Walmart opening its doors and that Claypool got caught in apparently not keeping abreast of the agreement when he reworked bus routes in that area with no plan in place to honor that agreement.

• Upvote 4

Neither of those gets CTA off the hook that they admitted to signing the contract two years ago to provide service upon the Walmart opening its doors and that Claypool got caught in apparently not keeping abreast of the agreement when he reworked bus routes in that area with no plan in place to honor that agreement.

Essentially my point, but more clearly stated.

Regardless of whether Claypool dropped the ball in September 2012, this shouldn't have been a shock now, especially since I pointed out that they took care of serving Target then, which would indicate economic discrimination if CTA suddenly decided to stick it to Walmart. And, apparently unlike football player contracts, since there was a contract with Walmart, CTA may not now legally say "we'll honor it if you pay us."

• Upvote 1

Essentially my point, but more clearly stated.

Regardless of whether Claypool dropped the ball in September 2012, this shouldn't have been a shock now, especially since I pointed out that they took care of serving Target then, which would indicate economic discrimination if CTA suddenly decided to stick it to Walmart. And, apparently unlike football player contracts, since there was a contract with Walmart, CTA may not now legally say "we'll honor it if you pay us."

Even if you take the CTA at there word it will cost 680,000 to add at the service.The question will become what routes will get cuts or will they raise the cost of a student pass or something like that to pay for it.I would like to know where they came up with the money to add R39.

Even if you take the CTA at there word it will cost 680,000 to add at the service.The question will become what routes will get cuts or will they raise the cost of a student pass or something like that to pay for it.I would like to know where they came up with the money to add R39.

At the moment, the money is the CTA's problem. But undoubtedly, all the money for the R routes came out of the construction grant, as the Construction Report only accounts for about $280 million of the $420 million (between the track project, stations project, and Green Line upgrade for the project).

I don't even think that matters, considering that to extend both routes a mere 10 minutes roundtrip costs that much money. It should be either (1) schedule/cost neutral, or (2) almost to the cost of operating R39 at a 60-minute headway.

Either way, the CTA has to put up or shut up.

• Upvote 1

I don't even think that matters, considering that to extend both routes a mere 10 minutes roundtrip costs that much money. It should be either (1) schedule/cost neutral, or (2) almost to the cost of operating R39 at a 60-minute headway.

Either way, the CTA has to put up or shut up.

While The CTA agree to it.I do agree with Busjack that Beale claim is going to get that much ridership to pay for itself isn't going to happen.

Update According to the Sun Times Claypool promise Beale service starting tomorrow.

CTAAnnounces#111A PullmanBusShuttle Service

9/10/2013

The Chicago Transit Authority today announced it will expand bus service in the Pullman neighborhood tomorrow in conjunction with the opening of a new Walmart store at 10900 S. Doty Avenue.

The CTA will offer the #111A Pullman bus shuttle every 20 minutes on weekdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., and on weekends and holidays between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. to accommodate ridership during periods when demand is expected to be highest. This service will remain while a final service plan is reached with the developer and community.

The CTA is pleased to be able to offer additional bus service in this growing community and serve patrons, workers and residents in the neighborhood, said CTA President Forrest Claypool. This service has been put in place as we continue to develop a final service plan with the developer and the community.

"I am pleased that we have reached a solution for residents, the community, and workers at the newly opened Pullman Park Walmart development," said Alderman Anthony Beale. "I appreciate the willingness of Forrest Claypool and the Chicago Transit Authority to reach an agreement that will make the opening of this store the best it can be."

From 111thStreet/King Drive, #111A buses (to Pullman Park) will operate south on King Drive to 113th Street, then will travel via 115th Street (due to construction reroute), Cottage Grove, 111th Street, Doty to 109th where they will then enter the Pullman Park via private roads and loop around the parking lot and CTA access road. Return trip #111A buses (to 111th/King Drive) will travel to Doty Avenue and travel the reverse route. The route will make connections with the 111th and 115th street bus routes.

111A.pdf

While The CTA agree to it.I do agree with Busjack that Beale claim is going to get that much ridership to pay for itself isn't going to happen.

Update According to the Sun Times Claypool promise Beale service starting tomorrow.

I just read that. And of course they're going to give the service now because it would have been an embarrassment to camera hungry Emanuel not to give service. Now they're trying to point the finger at the developer for not giving 60 days notice of the store's opening, saying that they "were scrambling to get things done, but the developer drop the ball". That's hogwash because they signed the contract agreeing to give the service.

UPDATE: And looking at the hastily drawn together schedule of the 111A shuttle service to be implemented as a stopgap, you mean to say they couldn't have just said back in September of last year or whatever ok we're going to split the 111 into a new 111 and separate 115 route, so we need to have a game plan for how to schedule the 111, 115 or both through this shopping complex once this Walmart opens since we have this agreement signed to provide transit service? Give me a break here. Busjack is correct that this shouldn't have been a shock. I just have to wonder how that conversation went between the mayor and Claypool because it would have been an embarrassment to have one of the alderman squawking for too long that one of Emanuel's appointee's reneged on a deal. The original Tribune article doesn't say when in 2011 the agreement was signed, but Emanuel was mayor starting May of that year meaning if the deal was made in Emanuel's first months in office then that deal definitely should be no shocker today and would point quite glaringly at Claypool's ineptitude as CTA president.

Edited by jajuan

I'll agree that the 111A is obviously a stopgap hastily put together.Maybe the $680K mkout cites is for the cost of that shuttle, as opposed to MetroShadow pointing out that extending a line a couple of blocks isn't going to cost that much.

Also, this map only has it connecting with 111 and 115 and didn't extend it to 95th, although there wouldn't be much point to doing so until late October.

I'll agree that the 111A is obviously a stopgap hastily put together.Maybe the $680K mkout cites is for the cost of that shuttle, as opposed to MetroShadow pointing out that extending a line a couple of blocks isn't going to cost that much.

Also, this map only has it connecting with 111 and 115 and didn't extend it to 95th, although there wouldn't be much point to doing so until late October.

Maybe that price tag cited from the Tribune article is for that shuttle because when I first saw it quoted my initial reaction was also that can't possibly be for extending either or both 111 and 115. If it is the price tag of the 111A, it just shows who badly Claypool bungled this that they now have to spend two thirds or a million dollars during a time they've been telling us that they couldn't keep service running for this year without fare hikes and service cuts for a temporary measure that would have costed a heck of a lot less implemented as a route extension.

More details on 111A

Northbound buses will operate via King Drive, 115th, Cottage Grove, 111th, and Doty.

Southbound buses will operate via Doty and 111th to King Drive. (Note: Buses are operating via 115th Street temporarily due to construction. Upon completion of construction, buses will operate via 113th between Kind Drive and Cottage Grove.)

CTA Tattler citing a later Tribune story indicates that Emanuel really stuck it to Claypool. Maybe though, he was just using up some material from Letterman.

It should be interesting on what become of Claypool.

There is only 7 or 8 months left on his contract or if he even has a further if the CTA,Metra,Pace,or RTA board merge into one.

I don't think Emanuel was to happy that Claypool embarrass him.

It should be interesting on what become of Claypool.

There is only 7 or 8 months left on his contract or if he even has a further if the CTA,Metra,Pace,or RTA board merge into one.

I don't think Emanuel was to happy that Claypool embarrass him.

I doubt that Claypool has a contract. Although the whole idea of the CTA Board hiring the Executive Director is a farce, Daley dumping Kruesi and Emanuel dumping Rodriguez indicates that it can be done.

There is always the phrase about "serving at the Mayor's pleasure," but the Mayor is apparently not that displeased at city CFO Lois Scott, who recommended someone under indictment for something he previously did in Ohio as city comptroller.

On the other hand, despite a definite term, Emanuel was able to convince Huggins to leave the Metra board. I suppose Emanuel could put the arm on his buddy Claypool from down the street, but doubt that he will do so, just like he wasn't willing to tell Dick and Deb Mell that the alderman appointment would be strictly on merit.

That's why I made the Letterman reference.

I doubt that Claypool has a contract. Although the whole idea of the CTA Board hiring the Executive Director is a farce, Daley dumping Kruesi and Emanuel dumping Rodriguez indicates that it can be done.

There is always the phrase about "serving at the Mayor's pleasure," but the Mayor is apparently not that displeased at city CFO Lois Scott, who recommended someone under indictment for something he previously did in Ohio as city comptroller.

On the other hand, despite a definite term, Emanuel was able to convince Huggins to leave the Metra board. I suppose Emanuel could put the arm on his buddy Claypool from down the street, but doubt that he will do so, just like he wasn't willing to tell Dick and Deb Mell that the alderman appointment would be strictly on merit.

That's why I made the Letterman reference.

He can always tell Claypool to do stupid human tricks :lol:

The latest Trib article mentions that they were scrambling on ways to extend 106 and 111 before settling on the temporary 111A solution. Don't know if those two are still in consideration to reroute either at the end of the Dan Ryan Red Line shutdown or in December with the normal winter pick adjustments. But I also see that someone responding made the very valid point that it's funny that folks from across the income spectrum putting up a fuss for months wasn't enough to make CTA reconsider whacking the 11 south of the Western Brown Line station, but all it took was Emanuel showing up for a ribbon cutting where there of course would be news cameras from both the newspapers and tv news to get the 111A thrown together in just a few hours.

The latest Trib article mentions that they were scrambling on ways to extend 106 and 111 before settling on the temporary 111A solution. Don't know if those two are still in consideration to reroute either at the end of the Dan Ryan Red Line shutdown or in December with the normal winter pick adjustments. But I also see that someone responding made the very valid point that it's funny that folks from across the income spectrum putting up a fuss for months wasn't enough to make CTA reconsider whacking the 11 south of the Western Brown Line station, but all it took was Emanuel showing up for a ribbon cutting where there of course would be news cameras from both the newspapers and tv news to get the 111A thrown together in just a few hours.

If you look at page 5 .It does say CTA service.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/dcd/tif/T_166_Pullman_ParkCDC.pdf

It shows Beale has more clout then the Alderman of the 47 Ward.

And that's where the error lies. They should have never promised a bus route to Wal Mart in the first place. Wal mart is one of the biggest corporations with deep pockets itself. Wal mart could have easily ran it's own free shuttle bus, they have one that serves the west side. Cta should not be in the business of whether Wal Mart succeeds or not. If that's the case what about 83rd/Stewert. Isn't that Wal Mart in a transit desert also.

The way the shuttle is set up it's bare bones, without extending it to 95th/dan ryan I don't see much success with that. Who is going to wait for two to three buses just to go to Wal Mart. Wal marts in the city are not so unique anymore. There's at least four supercenters and many marketplace express stores.

• Upvote 1

If you look at page 5 .It does say CTA service.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/dcd/tif/T_166_Pullman_ParkCDC.pdf

It shows Beale has more clout then the Alderman of the 47 Ward.

Good search.

If you remember back to about 2008, Beale had to make a big stink just to get the project approved once it was revealed that it would include a Walmart. So he knew how to make a stink about the bus. While the TIF report indicates how everybody was on board that this was a good thing, that certainly wasn't the case prior to it.

And that's where the error lies. They should have never promised a bus route to Wal Mart in the first place. Wal mart is one of the biggest corporations with deep pockets itself. Wal mart could have easily ran it's own free shuttle bus, they have one that serves the west side. Cta should not be in the business of whether Wal Mart succeeds or not. ...

First, as the TIF report points out, the development isn't just Walmart. Second, if that's the philosophy, why are 111 and 115 going into Target? For that matter, why are there CTA buses on private property at Lincolnwood Town Center (totally out of its territory, too), Ford City, etc.?

Both Walmarts in Niles are served by the Niles Free Bus. I don't know if Walmart pays any more for that, or more than did K-Mart or Venture when it was there, or more than does Meijer on the same route.

Finally you have the combination of Emanuel having to keep his south side base intact, doing something about his food desert promise (although I think the food desert is bogus), and, as discussed earlier, Pewar having no clout.

Now, if someone is going to extend the contract bus concept as Mel suggested, they better do it across the board. But, as was the situation at Yorktown, people are going to scream to high heaven if bus stops are removed from shopping centers.