2600's on the Brown

Amtrak41

When visiting Chicagoland on Tuesday, I saw 2 8-car Browns around 730am going in opposite directions near Diversey, each with 2600's. Could these be the Howard put-ins ?

Depends on whether they were high 2900s or something else, but the Car Assignment sheets on chicago-l.org reflect that at least for a considerable length of time, some 2900s were on the Brown Line because there weren't enough 3300-3400s to cover it, but according to that source, not since 2005. Maybe that was mitigated when some 3400s were transferred from the Skokie Swift.

When visiting Chicagoland on Tuesday, I saw 2 8-car Browns around 730am going in opposite directions near Diversey, each with 2600's. Could these be the Howard put-ins ?

I haven't seen 2600's on the Brown Line(minus 3458, which is former unit 3032) since 2006 when cars 2993-3002 where assigned there. Looking at the time you saw them(7:30a), it could've been Ravenstons, which is usually run by Puple Line equipment, so any of their 2600's could've been used here. Although I haven't seen a Ravenston in a long time.... usually the a.m rush has some Brownage trains, which is just the Orange Line stock(cars 3201-3294).

I was on one of those trains Tuesday. They had Red Line car maps and to add to confusion the destination signs on the entire train were defective showing white. It seemed the entire train was made up of poorly maintained cars with untrue wheels, probably just coincidence.

I was on one of those trains Tuesday. They had Red Line car maps and to add to confusion the destination signs on the entire train were defective showing white. It seemed the entire train was made up of poorly maintained cars with untrue wheels, probably just coincidence.

Hmmm... Well I've seen some Brown Line 3200's with destination roller curtains all white, missing the "Loop" or "Kimball" signage. Ravenston and Brownage trains are usually spare equipment sitting at the Howard Yard and Midway Yard. But trains with poorly maintained, untrue wheels shouldn't have been put into any service, because that is a risk for derailment.

[/

Those 2 8car set of 2600 series trains are used pretty much everyday on the Brown Line during morning rush hour. When I was a flagman I would see 2 sets of 2600's on the Brown Line as I was making my way towards Howard. They of course are Borrowed from the Red Line but are used on that line to help (for a lack of words) cause those trains be packed full in the morning.

Those 2 8car set of 2600 series trains are used pretty much everyday on the Brown Line during morning rush hour... They of course are Borrowed from the Red Line but are used on that line to help (for a lack of words) cause those trains be packed full in the morning.

Isn't that the purpose of the Brownage trains in the a.m rush? Why have Brownage and Ravenston trains doing Brown Line runs? I know the Brown Line gets crowded, but isn't that a bit too much extra service and payroll spent by the CTA with these Ravenstons deadheading back to Howard Yard after reaching Belmont probably after swinging through the Loop once or twice. With the Brownage, they could just start their trips to Midway with passengers after reaching their final destination in the Loop which I believe is Harold Washington Library/State/Van Buren.

I think that it has to do with the unstable fleet with all the lines. The infiltration of the 5000 series rail cars may also be a factor because the CTA did informed that the Red Line is next to receive them. So the Brown Line might be getting a lot of the 2600's later on. So far, there's no news indicated that the Brown Line will receive the 5000's in the future but I've seen the Blue Line with a lot of 2600's from the Red Line (2601-2656, 2831-2858, and 2925-2952) and the Purple Line with some high 3100's from the Pink Line. It's very strange.

I think that it has to do with the unstable fleet with all the lines. The infiltration of the 5000 series rail cars may also be a factor because the CTA did informed that the Red Line is next to receive them. So the Brown Line might be getting a lot of the 2600's later on. So far, there's no news indicated that the Brown Line will receive the 5000's in the future but I've seen the Blue Line with a lot of 2600's from the Red Line (2601-2656, 2831-2858, and 2925-2952) and the Purple Line with some high 3100's from the Pink Line. It's very strange.

I think it has to do with yard capacity, which Kimball Yard is limited due ro lack of space. Howard has lots of space and equipment, thus can deadhead trains from Howard to run between Belmont and the Loop. The Brown Line won't receive any new equipment at all. The only possible way to see a 5000 on the Brown is if they get one that comes from Howard like the 2600s are now. I've only seen these Browards, Ravenstons, and Browange trains in the a.m rush and not the p.m. rush.