CTA Videos

sw4400

I thought with all the videos that come up from time to time of confrontations on CTA buses and trains, a thread to link the videos might be in order... so here it is...

Video #1(North Ave. Nightmare)

Video #2(Orange Line Rumble)

Video #3(Blue Line passenger vs. CTA Personnel)

Video #4(Red Line passenger going on drug or alcohol-induced rant. Expletive language!!!)

Video #5(Stroller passenger vs. Bus Operator)

Video #6(Passenger blocks bus from moving)

As odd as it may sound, I wish I could ride one of these again... they were the bus I rode the most of in the 1980's... I never got the chance to ride them that one last time on the #152 before retirement, and doesn't look like the donor shell is going to be rebuilt to operating condition.

Photo copyrighted to BusHunter

post-10-13531948220397_thumb.jpg

I wish I had a chance to drive this:

http://www.youtube.c...re=results_main

As we mentioned before, we know one of our members who did. :lol:

As odd as it may sound, I wish I could ride one of these again... they were the bus I rode the most of in the 1980's...

Apparently, your "this" is not the same as art's "this.'

Apparently, your "this" is not the same as art's "this.'

Yeah, the bus I remember the most from my youth is the Flyer D901a. Yours appears to be the GM Fishbowls, as your RTA GM Pumpkin 4523 signature would attest and artthouwill's memories of riding them in the past. I remember riding some of the Fishbowls back in the '80's when they were assigned to route 49 Western. Which series those were, 1000, 7400, 9000 or 9600, I don't know.

I remember riding some of the Fishbowls back in the '80's when they were assigned to route 49 Western. Which series those were, 1000, 7400, 9000 or 9600, I don't know.

It would depend on "when" for two reasons: whether the route was allocated to NP/69 or Archer, and apparently a bus swap between NP and 77 sometime during that decade. I can't help you there.

Not that there was much difference between the series (9000s came with more modern bumper covers).

Yeah, the bus I remember the most from my youth is the Flyer D901a. Yours appears to be the GM Fishbowls, as your RTA GM Pumpkin 4523 signature would attest and artthouwill's memories of riding them in the past. I remember riding some of the Fishbowls back in the '80's when they were assigned to route 49 Western. Which series those were, 1000, 7400, 9000 or 9600, I don't know.

1000s and 7400s were essentially the same except the 7400s had an emergency roof exit.

The key feature in the 9000s wete the literature boxes, along with a bell chime. Also the rear pillars that support the AC was silver (steel) instead of broen. These buses also sported a squared black bumper.

The 9600s black bumpers werr more rounded and sleek. Interior wise, the seats were black and hard plastic withblack covering on the seat handlebars. There were no literature boxes, but these buses were the first to have the Stop Request sign just above the passenger side windshield. They also had 3 emergency roof exits, one in the front and two in the rear.

Both 69th and NP had 7400s,, but 69th had the 9000s and NP had the 9600s. To my recollection, meither garage had 9800s,, but Archer did, though they weren't originally assigned Flyers.

The RTA Pumpkins were ordered with the 9600s. The 8000s were 35 ft instead of 40 ft. They had the brown and orange seats and the lit boxes found on the 9000s and the Stop Request sign on the 9600s. They didn't have the 8V71 engines found on the Cta buses.

1000s and 7400s were essentially the same except the 7400s had an emergency roof exit.

The key feature in the 9000s wete the literature boxes, along with a bell chime. Also the rear pillars that support the AC was silver (steel) instead of broen. These buses also sported a squared black bumper.

The 9600s black bumpers werr more rounded and sleek. Interior wise, the seats were black and hard plastic withblack covering on the seat handlebars. There were no literature boxes, but these buses were the first to have the Stop Request sign just above the passenger side windshield. They also had 3 emergency roof exits, one in the front and two in the rear.

Both 69th and NP had 7400s,, but 69th had the 9000s and NP had the 9600s. To my recollection, meither garage had 9800s,, but Archer did, though they weren't originally assigned Flyers.

My earliest recollection of riding the buses was 1985-1987, and I remember the two routes perfectly... #49 Western(big on Fishbowls) and #77 Belmont(the one I remember riding a lot as I remember the Flyer D901a's a lot). I also remember riding some M.A.N Americanas back in the mid '80's, early '90's. What route, I don't remember. Most likely one of these two, but which I don't know...

The RTA Pumpkins were ordered with the 9600s. The 8000s were 35 ft instead of 40 ft. They had the brown and orange seats and the lit boxes found on the 9000s and the Stop Request sign on the 9600s. They didn't have the 8V71 engines found on the Cta buses.

...vast ocean of transit knowledge, please answer something that I have never been able to get an answer to regarding cta's 1000s, 7400s, 9000s and 9600s.

2 to 4 buses from each series came with a mid-section marker light brighter than the other buses. I'm referring to the one mounted above the standee window, just forward of the rear exit door and center window. These lights were visible for better than a mile away and were maintained throughout the life of the bus. I found a video which shows exactly what I'm referring to.

My earliest recollection of riding the buses was 1985-1987, and I remember the two routes perfectly... #49 Western(big on Fishbowls) and #77 Belmont(the one I remember riding a lot as I remember the Flyer D901a's a lot). I also remember riding some M.A.N Americanas back in the mid '80's, early '90's. What route, I don't remember. Most likely one of these two, but which I don't know...

Depending on when the shifts were to build the current Chicago and Kedzie garages, Belmont was more than likely Forest Glen, and hence Flyer.

MAN Americanas were (on the North side) out of North Park, so more than likely north-south routes.

Depending on when the shifts were to build the current Chicago and Kedzie garages, Belmont was more than likely Forest Glen, and hence Flyer.

MAN Americanas were (on the North side) out of North Park, so more than likely north-south routes.

Belmont had alot of Flyers in the '85 to '87 era. But the #53 had alot of them too. Alot of the #53's I believe came out of North Ave. garage pre 1986. I remember seeing the Flyers on the #76, #74 and #73. I don't know if alot of the Flyer's on the #77 were North Ave ones or Forest Glen, but probably the latter. As far the americanas those were mostly on Western and Kimball-Homan had quite a few, running out of Kedzie. but primarily they ran east of there on the north side. I can still picture both those buses as brand new.

Belmont had alot of Flyers in the '85 to '87 era. But the #53 had alot of them too. Alot of the #53's I believe came out of North Ave. garage pre 1986. I remember seeing the Flyers on the #76, #74 and #73. I don't know if alot of the Flyer's on the #77 were North Ave ones or Forest Glen, but probably the latter. As far the americanas those were mostly on Western and Kimball-Homan had quite a few, running out of Kedzie. but primarily they ran east of there on the north side. I can still picture both those buses as brand new.

According to Chicago Transit and Railfan, North and Cicero closed Sept. 7, 1986, so you are basically in the straddle period, and one of two periods when Lawndale was in the mix.

That's why I had the caveats that it depends on that shuffle and that I wasn't around.

Probably related to this topic (although not video) is this Tribune story.

Maybe he could have waited a couple of miles and got off at {as Geoffrey Baird puts it, the most famous address on the Boulevard System} 26th and California. Would have been a bit more convenient for the authorities.

• 5 months later...

Question for CTA Railbuffs...

I ran across a video of a Purple Line Express running from Howard to Belmont. At the 6:50 mark, the train separates briefly from the Red Line tracks and at the 7:03 mark passes what looks like a former CTA Station. Anyone know what station that is???

Video

Question for CTA Railbuffs...

I ran across a video of a Purple Line Express running from Howard to Belmont. At the 6:50 mark, the train separates briefly from the Red Line tracks and at the 7:03 mark passes what looks like a former CTA Station. Anyone know what station that is???

Video

It is at Wilson where the Purple Line goes onto the concrete bypass track structure, and then joins the steel L structure south of the station.

Won't be there too much longer if the station replacement project gets going.

• Upvote 1

Last night WYCC 20.1 had a documentary on Chicago Drawbridges, including someone's friend Brian Steele portrayed as a CDOT spokesperson (2001-2011), Did show the Wells Street bridge, including the CTA operation and disruption by the reconstruction, and was a few hours ahead of its time, as it said the reconstruction was complete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought it would be nice to share a special gift of great memories from the past.

Enjoy :D

1995 Flxible Metro E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45_2P1U5stM

1995 Flxible Metro E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkbeRCSv1A

1995 Flxible Metro E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suh06mm9lDs

1983 New Flyer D901A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHaCDbnOads

1983 New Flyer D901A sound bites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cYBQ30_IE

A few sound bites of some tmcs

Howard & Jarvis Stations Jul 2000 - YouTube

1995 Flxible Metro E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCiikNxtK5c

1991 TMC RTS Pre-Rehab

Down Chicago Av Evanston Sum 1992 - YouTube

Almost perfect, YoungBusLover, but one little detail needs fixing...

The "New Flyer" label needs to be changed to "Flyer" or "Flyer D901A".

Also, around 1983 (source).

Only deliveries in 1991 were the 4400 series TMC/RTS and 5300 series Flxibles.