Has CTA Changed The Purple Express Marker Lights?

geneking7320

Prior to today [12/20/2012] the marker lights on the Purple Line Express to the Loop have been white. Today run #501 had two green marker lights. The Yellow Line had been running green marker lights but I haven't seen a Yellow Line train lately [i board at Howard station]. Also, when I got to the Loop this morning I didn't see any Green Line trains. What's up?

Gene King

Prior to today [12/20/2012] the marker lights on the Purple Line Express to the Loop have been white. Today run #501 had two green marker lights. The Yellow Line had been running green marker lights but I haven't seen a Yellow Line train lately [i board at Howard station]. Also, when I got to the Loop this morning I didn't see any Green Line trains. What's up?

Gene King

I hope not, unless there have been other changes we don't know about. I will try to get a look-see today.

UPDATE: Green line markers are still green. The www.Chicago-l.org page hasn't been updated concerning the marker lights section.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gene King

I saw something like this twice today on the Green Line. I saw two Green Line trains displaying white-white marker lights. Seems like when the recent 2400s were transferred back to the Green Line from the Red Line two weeks back, the roller curtain signs were changed, but the marker lights were not reprogrammed. I wonder how confusing it would be working Tower 12 and a southbound train of these 2400s comes through with a broken sign displaying all white background with marker lights displaying orange-red, but really is a Green Line train Ashland/63 and everyone thinking its a Orange Line train to Midway which is red-orange? At least it'll still get the right lineup.

I saw something like this twice today on the Green Line. I saw two Green Line trains displaying white-white marker lights. Seems like when the recent 2400s were transferred back to the Green Line from the Red Line two weeks back, the roller curtain signs were changed, but the marker lights were not reprogrammed. I wonder how confusing it would be working Tower 12 and a southbound train of these 2400s comes through with a broken sign displaying all white background with marker lights displaying orange-red, but really is a Green Line train Ashland/63 and everyone thinking its a Orange Line train to Midway which is red-orange? At least it'll still get the right lineup.

Thats no error. Orange Line has a few 2400's of its own now (sent from the red line if I'm right?).

... I wonder how confusing it would be working Tower 12 and a southbound train of these 2400s comes through with a broken sign displaying all white background with marker lights displaying orange-red, but really is a Green Line train Ashland/63 and everyone thinking its a Orange Line train to Midway which is red-orange? At least it'll still get the right lineup.

The question is whether the tower manages the junction manually based on the lights, or on an identification coil system. Even the specs for the 7000s call for such devices.

• 1 year later...

Twice this week I've been catching the Purple line in the loop during the evening rush and noticed there have been Green-Green marker lights. I didn't catch the run number or equipment number, but this seems odd. Was there a change? or is there just some random train out there that is programmed wrong.

Twice this week I've been catching the Purple line in the loop during the evening rush and noticed there have been Green-Green marker lights. I didn't catch the run number or equipment number, but this seems odd. Was there a change? or is there just some random train out there that is programmed wrong.

Let's stick with the latter and hope its a bad destination sign