No Purple Express During Brown Line Bridge Reroute

chicagopcclcar

What I've been told regarding the 5000s (I add that qualification, since I don't have first-hand experience with that equipment) is that the signs are pre-set based on the operator inputting a run number into the OCU. If they don't have a specific trip programmed into that run number, it won't be able to display whatever the alternate service pattern is.

I'm under the impression that it's apparently not a simple thing to reprogram the OCU, though it absolutely must be possible (they are computers, and computers can be reprogrammed, it's just a matter of the difficulty in doing so).

I've also been told that this was known prior to the 5000s entering service, and that some folks weren't exactly happy with that inflexibility in the design specifications. Technically speaking, there's no reason the system couldn't be programmed to have every color and every station as a destination. However, once the specs were set, changing the design of that software would have required a change order and CTA paying a bunch of money to get the system changed.

I don't know why they didn't do this, since it seems it would be worth it in many cases (any rail disruption).

• Upvote 1

Evidently not....no "Roosevelt" on red background sign in the 5000s menu, And that brings up a big debate on the internet about whether the signs on 5000s can be reprogrammed. The question could be answered when its known what sign will the rerouted Red line 5000s carry when headed to Ashland/63. Will it be the Green line sign currently in the menu or a new sign.

However, since 5000s are being temporarily assigned to this service, it seems like sw was a lot closer than someone else on this subject a couple of days ago.

However, since 5000s are being temporarily assigned to this service, it seems like sw was a lot closer than someone else on this subject a couple of days ago.

It is not clear what you mean when you say the 5000s are " assigned temporarily to this service." May I help by giving you a technical definition. The 5000s and whatever other series gets used, are extra Red line trains, even if they go to Merchandise Mart and carry Brown line signage, they are still extra Red line trains. Sort of like when you see BNSF locomotives pulling a NS train on NS track. It's not a BNSF train.

It is not clear what you mean when you say the 5000s are " assigned temporarily to this service." May I help by giving you a technical definition. The 5000s and whatever other series gets used, are extra Red line trains, even if they go to Merchandise Mart and carry Brown line signage, they are still extra Red line trains. Sort of like when you see BNSF locomotives pulling a NS train on NS track. It's not a BNSF train.

Don't you remember your harangue to me about my not responding if Red Line operators are being qualifed on the Brown Line?

Or are you having another senior moment?

In reading that post, it sounds like you're talking about route qualifications, and pcc was talking about equipment qualifications. Different things.

Brown Line operators probably wouldn't be qualified on 5000-series cars. Red Line operators could be qualified on the Brown Line (and, if these extras are only operating Belmont-Mart, then they'd definitely have to be qualified because the Purple Line shares a common crew base, and going over the top is a standard detour for the Red Line).

I was on cars 3441-3442(roof board cars). They have the red "Roosevelt" signs. The trains were comprised of all 3400-Series railcars and all eight had "Roosevelt" signs. The other cars had no roof boards.

Great info. But did you leave off the most important part, LOL??? The roof boards cleared the subway with no pro-blem-o.

Listening to the scanner on Thursday is getting boring.

Thanks DH

Guest ctafan630

What I've been told regarding the 5000s (I add that qualification, since I don't have first-hand experience with that equipment) is that the signs are pre-set based on the operator inputting a run number into the OCU. If they don't have a specific trip programmed into that run number, it won't be able to display whatever the alternate service pattern is.

I'm under the impression that it's apparently not a simple thing to reprogram the OCU, though it absolutely must be possible (they are computers, and computers can be reprogrammed, it's just a matter of the difficulty in doing so).

I've also been told that this was known prior to the 5000s entering service, and that some folks weren't exactly happy with that inflexibility in the design specifications. Technically speaking, there's no reason the system couldn't be programmed to have every color and every station as a destination. However, once the specs were set, changing the design of that software would have required a change order and CTA paying a bunch of money to get the system changed.

I don't know why they didn't do this, since it seems it would be worth it in many cases (any rail disruption).

I am surprised the train operator does not have the ability to swicth the destination sign manually or program in a number to switch the sign. How many times have you been on a train that gets delayed and then goes express. I have seen the signs get switched to reflect this.

Great info. But did you leave off the most important part, LOL??? The roof boards cleared the subway with no pro-blem-o.

Listening to the scanner on Thursday is getting boring.

Thanks DH

You mean CTA lets people eavesdrop on their radio? I thought they converted it to digital when people were interfering. I guess again, no security.

Response disabled...recipient disabled...alternative is FCC.

Or Homeland Security paying for a proper radio system, like it does for the cameras. As I indicated, this appears to be a bigger security risk.

Well while downtown this morning, I discovered that not all the 37A's and Brown Line shuttles are being run with artics and the Brown Line shuttles are not with only buses contributed by 103rd, North Park and Kedzie since the buses are not all artics. 74th contributed some 1000s to the cause this morning. These weren't loans to one of the other three because I spotted 1749 with run number 6991 going north on LaSalle at Wacker Drive transporting passengers and sporting a "BROWN LINE" sign. Kedzie and North Park were using both artics and 1000s on the 37A and the Brown Line shuttles while the only buses I spotted from 103rd on the shuttles were 4300 series artics. One other thing I noticed is that all the 1000s sported "BROWN LINE" while the artics displayed "BROWN L SHUTTLE" flip "to WASHINGTON/WELLS" or the northbound destination. Also none of the 37A's actually had 37A as a route number this morning. They displayed the regular "37 SEDWICK". But you could guess they were 37A's by virtue of the destination signs flipping over to "37 to ADAMS/WELLS".

Well while downtown this morning, I discovered that not all the 37A's and Brown Line shuttles are being run with artics and the Brown Line shuttles are not with only buses contributed by 103rd, North Park and Kedzie since the buses are not all artics. 74th contributed some 1000s to the cause this morning. These weren't loans to one of the other three because I spotted 1749 with run number 6991 going north on LaSalle at Wacker Drive transporting passengers and sporting a "BROWN LINE" sign. Kedzie and North Park were using both artics and 1000s on the 37A and the Brown Line shuttles while the only buses I spotted from 103rd on the shuttles were 4300 series artics. One other thing I noticed is that all the 1000s sported "BROWN LINE" while the artics displayed "BROWN L SHUTTLE" flip "to WASHINGTON/WELLS" or the northbound destination. Also none of the 37A's actually had 37A as a route number this morning. They displayed the regular "37 SEDWICK". But you could guess they were 37A's by virtue of the destination signs flipping over to "37 to ADAMS/WELLS".

They are running extras on the regular 37 as well as the 37A. I'm not sure what the split is, but I have seen buses with both 37 and 37A signage (though regular 37 signage did seem to be more common).

Getting back to the subject, the Sun-Times reported that things were still fouled up this morning.

Congestion and mechanical problems are nothing new. Nor, unfortunately, is lack of communication about delays and problems.

The other night, I was downtown with some friends and we transferred from Brown/Red/Orange (Brown Line to Midway via subway) to Blue at Jackson, heading over to Union Station. The train tracker app I was using was showing "delayed" for a while. After about 10-12 minutes of nothing, I decided to check the actual CTA site, and it said there was a disruption due to a problem at Belmont. During that entire time, not a word was mentioned to anyone else on the platform (the control center can make announcements remotely at stations). At least the CTA site was up to date, as I decided it was best for us to go out and take a bus the rest of the way rather than wait for the Blue Line, by which time my friends would have missed their train out of Union Station.

They are running extras on the regular 37 as well as the 37A. I'm not sure what the split is, but I have seen buses with both 37 and 37A signage (though regular 37 signage did seem to be more common).

Is there some possibility some operators were using incorrect signs because I was in that part of downtown shortly after 9AM, presumably still enough time that 37A was still running since it still would have been before 9 for buses leaving Armitage in order to arrive downtown at 9.

Congestion and mechanical problems are nothing new. Nor, unfortunately, is lack of communication about delays and problems.

The other night, I was downtown with some friends and we transferred from Brown/Red/Orange (Brown Line to Midway via subway) to Blue at Jackson, heading over to Union Station. The train tracker app I was using was showing "delayed" for a while. After about 10-12 minutes of nothing, I decided to check the actual CTA site, and it said there was a disruption due to a problem at Belmont. During that entire time, not a word was mentioned to anyone else on the platform (the control center can make announcements remotely at stations). At least the CTA site was up to date, as I decided it was best for us to go out and take a bus the rest of the way rather than wait for the Blue Line, by which time my friends would have missed their train out of Union Station.

Yeah, I was caught up in that too. Stuck at Damen NB, our operator kept saying there was an emergency at Montrose, which wasn't true. We were stuck there for a half an hour. After 15-20 minutes of no reporting back I decided to seek alternate transportation, which wasn't coming either. 10 minutes later the train pulled out. I went back to the "L" only to find out the next train was turning south and finally I got going 45 minutes to an hour later. As was reported on the news the trouble was in a section of SB track right before Belmont that is known for leaking water onto the third rail which causes the power to surge there. The next day the problem seemed unresolved. You were correct not to wait for the train.

On Friday, around 1900, Kimball Terminal had announced the final reroute; the departure of the final "Roosevelt Designation" train, thus ending an exciting chapter in the history of L/Subway operation. While Monday morning armchair quarterbacks will eagerly chime in with personal rememberances, Friday, weekday number five, flowed smoothly and flowed with most trains signed correctly unlike day number one. Although there are many U.S. cities with heavy rail and light rail transit systems, only a few have the redundancy in their system to operate reroutes and transfer services from route to route. New York's MTA does it constantly without blinking an eye. I chose Roosevelt in the subway for my final observations...."Brown line to Kimball...Red line stops to Fullerton." Since this is not New York, with a lot of passengers you couldn't do it with maps, roll signs, handouts, television news broadcasts; it had to be personal, a one on one personal explanation...and then you saw the smile that meant confidence.

DH

• Upvote 2

There is obviously some issue with the switches at Tower 18, because today for both AM & PM rush the Purple Line is going on the outer loop tracks. Anyone else have any more detail on the reason? I haven't seen this in the news yet.

The alerts page says:

Purple Line Trains Rerouted via Outer Loop (Brown Line Side)

Special Note
icon_nopredictions_13x13.gifAffects Train Tracker prediction availability (What's this?)

Purple

Line Exp svc temp rerouted via Brown Ln side of Loop 'L', reaching all

nrml stops, due to ext'd Loop Track Renewal work @ Lake/Wells.

Mon, Mar 11 2013 2:30 PM to 7:20 PM.
So it looks like you are correct.