No Purple Express During Brown Line Bridge Reroute

chicagopcclcar

There certainly is the Clybourn station, but the problem is getting there. Other than those taking an eastbond 73 that normally transfer to the Brown Line, I can't think of Clybourn being a practical alternative to anybody impacted by this.

132 if you need to go to River North.

The 9 or the 50 could be an option from Clybourn (however, traffic is abysmal, so it's not a viable option).

Keeping the 145/8 (via Wilson) routing might've been a better option.

132 if you need to go to River North.

The 9 or the 50 could be an option from Clybourn (however, traffic is abysmal, so it's not a viable option).

Keeping the 145/8 (via Wilson) routing might've been a better option.

145/148 discussion aside, neither the 132 nor the 9/50 are actual alternatives for passengers using the Brown Line. The 132 doesn't serve anywhere the Brown Line serves, and passengers far enough north on Damen or Ashland are probably going to be able to get on the Brown Line before it gets really crowded in the morning. Afternoon may be a bit more difficult, depending on where the passenger boards, but if enough passengers use bus alternatives for the closer-in stations (37/37A, extras on the 22, etc.), there should be enough capacity for people traveling further.

Plus, PM trips are usually more flexible than AM trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Training trains are qualifying operators for the upcoming Brown line reroute. The training trains operate from south of Fullerton on the Red line to Roosevelt where they go up the old south incline and travel the Green line to 37th Middle Track.

DH

Saw a training train this afternoon in the subway. It's nice to see the 3200-series in the subway. Also saw a random Red Line train operating with the new Ashland/63 (Red) sign with green marker lights. It was a regular train heading south to 95th.

Saw a training train this afternoon in the subway. It's nice to see the 3200-series in the subway. Also saw a random Red Line train operating with the new Ashland/63 (Red) sign with green marker lights. It was a regular train heading south to 95th.

I'm guessing that Red Line train with the new Ashland/63 (red)sign was a 5000 series train?

I'm guessing that Red Line train with the new Ashland/63 (red)sign was a 5000 series train?

No, it was a 2600-series car. The new signs have already started to be installed. It's the exact set of signs that are currently in the trains except the Yellow Line is back to black lettering and instead of the Red Line "Roosevelt" sign, it was replaced with Red Line "Ashland/63" sign.

Today, I did saw the 3200-Series cars running on the old 14th Street subway incline heading south while waiting for the Green Line train at Roosevelt/Wabash station. When I riding the Green Line train on the head car going south to Ashland/63rd, the 3200s was in front of us and used the 37th Street middle track that chicagopcclcar had posted. I'm guessing they're doing a test for rerouting some Brown Line trains using the State Street subway during the Wells Street bridge construction.

This could be a 10-day period of mixed equipment running the Brown Line. During rush periods only, some trains will run to Roosevelt through the State Street Subway. Those trains could easily also be Red Line equipment(2400's, 2600's or even 5000's) as they'll operate basically as Ravenstons or Brownages normally would with the exception of final destination southbound(one or two trips from Kimball to Roosevelt and back), except in addition to AM Rush periods, PM Rush periods too. We'll have to wait until March 1st to see for sure.

Rush periods aren't long anyways, one to two hours tops, I guess as the Ravenston/Brownage runs are usually done by 8:30a at the latest, then it's all normal Brown Line equipment.

This could be a 10-day period of mixed equipment running the Brown Line. During rush periods only, some trains will run to Roosevelt through the State Street Subway. Those trains could easily also be Red Line equipment(2400's, 2600's or even 5000's) as they'll operate basically as Ravenstons or Brownages normally would with the exception of final destination southbound(one or two trips from Kimball to Roosevelt and back), except in addition to AM Rush periods, PM Rush periods too. We'll have to wait until March 1st to see for sure.

Rush periods aren't long anyways, one to two hours tops, I guess as the Ravenston/Brownage runs are usually done by 8:30a at the latest, then it's all normal Brown Line equipment.

Well we shall say how this plays out with Round 1 of this starting tomorrow night.

Well we shall say how this plays out with Round 1 of this starting tomorrow night.

Looks like there beefing up the Brown line's equipment. Spotted #3277-78, #3294-93 in a consist today on the Brown line. I wonder where there going to find the space to house these extra cars?

Looks like there beefing up the Brown line's equipment. Spotted #3277-78, #3294-93 in a consist today on the Brown line. I wonder where there going to find the space to house these extra cars?

Could it be the Orange Line 3200s sending their cars to the Brown Line for the Wells Street bridge construction? :mellow:

Could it be the Orange Line 3200s sending their cars to the Brown Line for the Wells Street bridge construction? :mellow:

These extra 3200's could be stored at Howard Yard. Where they are assigned... they could be used as Brown Line trains, Red Line trains or even Purple Line trains. Any equipment that is at Howard Yard could be ran as Broosevelt trains during those A.M and P.M rush periods. They'll only need 1-3 8-car consists tops as the other Brown Line trains will run to Merchandise Mart.

Maybe the extra cars were sent over from the Orange Line to the Brown Line in exchange for 3441-3456 so no one mistakenly sends these cars on a Roosevelt Rd run since these cars can't operate in the subways because of their roof boards.

Maybe the extra cars were sent over from the Orange Line to the Brown Line in exchange for 3441-3456 so no one mistakenly sends these cars on a Roosevelt Rd run since these cars can't operate in the subways because of their roof boards.

Possible, but the numbers aren't even.

3441-3442

3443-3444

3445-3446

3447-3448

3449-3450

3451-3452

3453-3454

3455-3456

16 Cars Total

3277-3278

3279-3280

3281-3282

3283-3284

3285-3286

3287-3288

3289-3290

3291-3292

3293-3294

18 Cars Total

I agree that 16 of the cars could be replacing(at least temporarily) 3441-3456 due to the roof boards(seriously, I think these can be removed, the CTA is just too lazy to do so). These cars will either sit in limbo at Kimball or Howard Yard, or perhaps be assigned to the Orange Line. The extra set of cars might be a more permanent assignment for the damaged and presumed retired 3351-3352.

I have been informed that the former Yellow line 3400s with roof boards have no restrictions in the State street subway. It's being determined if there are any other restrictions elsewhere. The cars when first assigned to the Brown line were all kept together. I suggested they reintroduce that pattern.

DH

Possible, but the numbers aren't even.

3441-3442

3443-3444

3445-3446

3447-3448

3449-3450

3451-3452

3453-3454

3455-3456

16 Cars Total

3277-3278

3279-3280

3281-3282

3283-3284

3285-3286

3287-3288

3289-3290

3291-3292

3293-3294

18 Cars Total

I agree that 16 of the cars could be replacing(at least temporarily) 3441-3456 due to the roof boards(seriously, I think these can be removed, the CTA is just too lazy to do so). These cars will either sit in limbo at Kimball or Howard Yard, or perhaps be assigned to the Orange Line. The extra set of cars might be a more permanent assignment for the damaged and presumed retired 3351-3352.

Well with the 48 #2400 cars the Orange line already has they have no need for 48 #3200's. Those cars (#2400's) are extras. With the extra service demand the wells street bridge closure is going to demand (service on both the state st subway and limited service on the near north Brown line elevated structure.) their going to need extra cars. It's just a question of who keeps the #2400's. (orange line)

Well with the 48 #2400 cars the Orange line already has they have no need for 48 #3200's. Those cars (#2400's) are extras. With the extra service demand the wells street bridge closure is going to demand (service on both the state st subway and limited service on the near north Brown line elevated structure.) their going to need extra cars. It's just a question of who keeps the #2400's. (orange line)

There is also the issue in the CTA announcement that "Brown Line service during rush periods will operate with substantially reduced frequency."

Also, maybe 60 cars won't be needed on the Purple Line since it isn't going south of Howard.

Car 3292 had these new cameras. I checked a few other cars when I got off and they had cameras too. If they have the same specs as the website lists and they're not a special order then the recordings are saved on a flash card inside the camera housing. There's no central recorder and no activation button.

attachicon.gif8519839872_4fb80217e0_b.jpg

Perhaps the Orange Line cars are moving moreso for new cameras than for the Wells St/Tower 18 project.

Short shorts: Turns out that the Wells Street bridge replacement will not be a 100 percent do-over. Riding a train across the bridge on Wednesday, I noticed the south end was painted gray already and looked redone. It was explained to me that the south end was not as deteriorated. The south leaf will be replaced entirely, including floating the replacement into place after the present leaf is removed. The north span will be raised to the upright position and remain upright while this work is being done. The north span was also raised when they put the new structure in over West Wacker Drive.

I've also learned that the southbound checks of trains at Roosevelt will depend on the manpower on hand and the need not to delay following Red line trains. The "skinny" is riders might get carried all the way to 35th St/ Bronzeville if they don't move fast enough when the chimes and announcements say "Doors closing." And if present Brown-Orange trains that layup at Midway run in service now, the reroutes might do so also. Monday we'll know for sure.

Lastly, old fashioned announcements over the PA during the reroutes. And all towers on the reroute will be manned: 37th St. 17th St. 13th St. Clark Tower will not have a local towerman at the crossover from track 1 to track 2 near Armitage. Closed circuit TV, track circuits, computer recognition are deemed to be enough.

Short shorts: Turns out that the Wells Street bridge replacement will not be a 100 percent do-over. Riding a train across the bridge on Wednesday, I noticed the south end was painted gray already and looked redone. It was explained to me that the south end was not as deteriorated. The south leaf will be replaced entirely, including floating the replacement into place after the present leaf is removed. The north span will be raised to the upright position and remain upright while this work is being done. The north span was also raised when they put the new structure in over West Wacker Drive.

I've also learned that the southbound checks of trains at Roosevelt will depend on the manpower on hand and the need not to delay following Red line trains. The "skinny" is riders might get carried all the way to 35th St/ Bronzeville if they don't move fast enough when the chimes and announcements say "Doors closing." And if present Brown-Orange trains that layup at Midway run in service now, the reroutes might do so also. Monday we'll know for sure.

Lastly, old fashioned announcements over the PA during the reroutes. And all towers on the reroute will be manned: 37th St. 17th St. 13th St. Clark Tower will not have a local towerman at the crossover from track 1 to track 2 near Armitage. Closed circuit TV, track circuits, computer recognition are deemed to be enough.

Why the CTA is doing again April 26 to May 5 for the second closure for the Wells St Bridge and at Ashland Orange Line Station where Bubbly Creek is that are building second half of the Wells St bridge.

Well we can add 8 more cars to the Brown line. Spotted up to #3269. A few more #2200's have shown up on the blue line. (#2351-52 and #2263-64) I also observed an eight car blue line train on the Loop elevated not in service (cars #3097-98, #2623-24, #2607-08 and another in the low #2600's) It was unclear where they were headed.

One thing that is going to be confusing about the Brown line through the subway is when they use a roosevelt red line roll sign how will the riders at Belmont/Red know if the train is running to Fullerton/Red or to Wellington/Brown. I suppose they could run Brown line signs to Southport and flip those to Roosevelt/Red, but then how would those who have already boarded know what train there riding? (unless they use a belmont sign) Some custom led signs (like on the #5000's) would be nice right now!! :o Regardless Monday"s commute is going to be very confusing.

One thing that is going to be confusing about the Brown line through the subway is when they use a roosevelt red line roll sign how will the riders at Belmont/Red know if the train is running to Fullerton/Red or to Wellington/Brown. I suppose they could run Brown line signs to Southport and flip those to Roosevelt/Red, but then how would those who have already boarded know what train there riding? (unless they use a belmont sign) Some custom led signs (like on the #5000's) would be nice right now!! :o Regardless Monday"s commute is going to be very confusing.

Well the Brown Line running to Roosevelt will run on the Brown Line tracks on the North Side Main Line making all stops until Fullerton. After Fullerton, they will be switched to the express track that takes them into the State St. Subway and at that point make all Red Line stops until Roosevelt.

Two of three rush hour trains will go through the Subway to Roosevelt with the other train going on the Brown Line route until Merchandise Mart or Chicago(depending on the time of day)