Ventra - Bugs, Feedback, and Questions

Busjack

Only until 7/7. Unless they extend it, after that point they will make you pay the $5 fee in addition to whatever pass or transit value you order, but immediately credit your account for $5 since you have to register it.

The only way this is pertinent is whether one has to pay $28 or $33 on the web, but the whole business of CTA "waiving the fee" was bogus to begin with, as it depended on registering the card, although it was automatically registered if they mailed it to a CC+ holder who was able to activate it, or Pace made registration mandatory at one of its events.

The essential question is whether, if a visitor pays the $33, the visitor will get any use of the $5 transit value, or that is just something against CTA is going to assess a dormancy fee.

The only way this is pertinent is whether one has to pay $28 or $33 on the web, but the whole business of CTA "waiving the fee" was bogus to begin with, as it depended on registering the card, although it was automatically registered if they mailed it to a CC+ holder who was able to activate it, or Pace made registration mandatory at one of its events.

The essential question is whether, if a visitor pays the $33, the visitor will get any use of the $5 transit value, or that is just something against CTA is going to assess a dormancy fee.

And that was Ratjeev's question: whether he had to pay $28 or $33.

Until 7/7, if you purchase at a retailer (Walgreens, CVS, Jewel, a currency exchange), you don't have to pay the $5 or register the card.

And that was Ratjeev's question: whether he had to pay $28 or $33.

Until 7/7, if you purchase at a retailer (Walgreens, CVS, Jewel, a currency exchange), you don't have to pay the $5 or register the card.

That was never the case. As sw pointed out (and he was selling the cards at Jewel), he had to ring up the $5 fee plus at least $1 of transit value, under separate PLUs, and give separate receipts, or the card could not be activated.

Anyway, the question was buying on the web, and you didn't answer whether the $5 fee applied. Now, if you want to contradict Kevin....

That was never the case. As sw pointed out (and he was selling the cards at Jewel), he had to ring up the $5 fee plus at least $1 of transit value, under separate PLUs, and give separate receipts, or the card could not be activated.

Anyway, the question was buying on the web, and you didn't answer whether the $5 fee applied. Now, if you want to contradict Kevin....

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3315

$5 Ventra Card fee continues to be waived at retailers until July 7.

The $5 one-time new card fee will continue to be waived until July 7 at

the more than 1,300 drugstores, currency exchanges and other

conveniently located retailers throughout the Chicago region that

distribute Ventra Cards. The $5 fee also continues to be waived for all

online and phone orders for Ventra Cards. Ventra Cards obtained at

vending machines in CTA rail stations require a $5 one-time new card

fee, which is immediately refunded as transit value upon registration of

the card.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3315

$5 Ventra Card fee continues to be waived at retailers until July 7.

The $5 one-time new card fee will continue to be waived until July 7 at

the more than 1,300 drugstores, currency exchanges and other

conveniently located retailers throughout the Chicago region that

distribute Ventra Cards. The $5 fee also continues to be waived for all

online and phone orders for Ventra Cards. Ventra Cards obtained at

vending machines in CTA rail stations require a $5 one-time new card

fee, which is immediately refunded as transit value upon registration of

the card.

Note that unlike for retailers, no end date is specified for web or phone orders. I guess we'll know after the 7th.

The $5 fee is waived for Ventra card purchases by phone, over the web, and at Ventra retailers through 7/7/14. It is not waived at Ventra vending machines.

The 7-day period starts running when you first use the pass, not when you buy it.

As I found out when I bought my Ventra card from the TVM at the Clinton Blue Line station. But at least I have one now.

Note that unlike for retailers, no end date is specified for web or phone orders. I guess we'll know after the 7th.

I imagine it'll be universal, Kevin... otherwise retailers like Jewel will have Ventra cards sitting around not getting bought taking up space. If a customer can order one on the web or over the phone, why go to a retailer and pay a $5 fee? I don't think retailers get any payment from CTA for reloads, just for sales of new cards.

I imagine it'll be universal, Kevin... otherwise retailers like Jewel will have Ventra cards sitting around not getting bought taking up space. If a customer can order one on the web or over the phone, why go to a retailer and pay a $5 fee? I don't think retailers get any payment from CTA for reloads, just for sales of new cards.

Jewel puts a Ventra card in your hand immediately. If you need to ride the bus today, it doesn't help if cards are available to order over the net. Jewel also lets people pay in cash. For all the unbanked masses in the inner city who don't have credit cards, this is an important feature.

According to this Group Sales brochure:

How does the commission process work for buying and selling Ventra Cards?
If you have a Ventra Terminal, you will receive a 1.5 percent commission on all sales of Ventra Cards and transit products added to Ventra Cards. This commission does not apply to Ventra Tickets. You can make commission and sell cards from your account as long as the transaction is made on a Ventra Terminal.

I assume the same applies to everyone who has a Ventra Terminal? Is Transit Value a "transit product"?

On another subject: 1.5 percent won't even cover their credit card merchant fees if the customer pays by credit card. I assume that's why many Currency Exchanges only accept debit cards or cash for Ventra.

Well NP has begun taking the readers for Chicago Cards, CCP and mag stripe cards off their fareboxes in light of Ventra cards and Ventra tickets being the only farecards sold and accepted for fare payment on CTA and Pace now as of last Tuesday. I saw it done for 1397 on the 50 Damen and 4144 on the 22 Clark today. NP is the only garage I've seen removing those readers. Buses at the other garages still have them so far from what I've been able to see, and most of them are taped over waiting for eventual removal.

Damn, talk about a triple play on the Ventra machines because none of them aren't taking any bills. Courtesy of 69th Red Line.

So, what was someone supposed to do if they didn't preload? Were CAs letting people through the turnstile?

So there's still no card fee if purchased online, and I'd guess the same is still true for phone orders as well.

I am still trying to get answers regarding how Ventra works for foreign visitors. Ventra doesn't appear to ship to non-US addresses and it's not clear if you can register a card with a non-US address. As was brought up earlier, even paying with credit at a vending machine is unclear since they request a US ZIP code. I've both emailed and tweeted Ventra regarding these questions. No response. At this point, the best advice I can give to a friend visiting from Canada next month is to bring US cash and register their card to 1060 West Addison.

....At this point, the best advice I can give to a friend visiting from Canada next month is to bring US cash and register their card to 1060 West Addison.

Garmon's post puts a question to the first, and the Illinois State Police are still looking for Elwood Blues at the second.

So, what was someone supposed to do if they didn't preload? Were CAs letting people through the turnstile?

Good question because I was wondering why the transit police was over there. So I'm guessing that someone was going through the turnstile or the handicap gate.

The $5 fee is waived for Ventra card purchases by phone, over the web, and at Ventra retailers through 7/7/14. It is not waived at Ventra vending machines.

The 7-day period starts running when you first use the pass, not when you buy it.

Funny. I purchased my first Ventra card at a vending machine, then i registered online and got my $5 credit. When I purchased my card, I got a monthly pass on it. After my monthly expired, I still had my $5 transit balance.

Good question because I was wondering why the transit police was over there. So I'm guessing that someone was going through the turnstile or the handicap gate.

Your mention of transit police in part also answers my question that came to mind of how they probably responded to the safety concerns that were likely to crop up at 69th for those riders who may have decided to purchase or reload Ventra cards at the machines using a debit or credit card. Even though it takes slightly longer to conduct your transactions using cash when paying with multiple bills, it seems to be a common theme among the criminal elements out there, regards of location, that they tend to peg you as having more money and being a more desirable mark if they see you using a debit or credit card in a more secluded location, which an L station fare payment area can become during night and early morning hours.

Funny. I purchased my first Ventra card at a vending machine, then i registered online and got my $5 credit. When I purchased my card, I got a monthly pass on it. After my monthly expired, I still had my $5 transit balance.

Depends how much money you put into it originally, If you paid $5 plus $100 for the pass, you still should have the $5 on it. Next time, pay only $95.

Get those debit and credit cards out.

My inference was that the vast majority of riders at 69th wouldn't have one (unless they are already being suckered by some debit card other than Ventra).

Depends how much money you put into it originally, If you paid $5 plus $100 for the pass, you still should have the $5 on it. Next time, pay only $95.

My inference was that the vast majority of riders at 69th wouldn't have one (unless they are already being suckered by some debit card other than Ventra).

Sorry but despite what location that may be, the last part of your post is a rather stereotypically gross misconception. Same thing gets said about west side and other neighborhoods on a lower economic and financial scale, and it turns out to be a lot of residents have debit cards, most of which are issued by an actual brick and mortar bank and not one of those prepaid ripoffs which now includes the Ventra option. And before you quote some economic analysis given by folks who quite likely never really stepped foot in the area, I base my observation on personal experience through spending time in that area and others on the south side visiting family and friends that more often than not, a good number of residents I came across, including some of more limited means, had debit cards issued by an actual bank in the traditional brick and mortar or other physical sense of that term.

• Upvote 2

Sorry but despite what location that may be, the last part of your post is a rather stereotypically gross misconception. Same thing gets said about west side and other neighborhoods on a lower economic and financial scale, and it turns out to be a lot of residents have debit cards, most of which are issued by an actual brick and mortar bank and not one of those prepaid ripoffs which now includes the Ventra option.

Even the brick and mortar banks have fees on the prepaid debit cards (for instance, Chase Liquid is $4.95/month, although preferred customers with free checking don't pay the fee, but don't need the card). I also assume that the currency exchanges aren't advertising a debit card out of the goodness of their hearts.

Even the brick and mortar banks have fees on the prepaid debit cards (for instance, Chase Liquid is $4.95/month, although preferred customers with free checking don't pay the fee, but don't need the card). I also assume that the currency exchanges aren't advertising a debit card out of the goodness of their hearts.

And I suppose you've been in those folks' wallets or otherwise think you can extrapolate that most of those folks have something prepaid from a third party or similar to Chase Liquid.

And I suppose you've been in those folks' wallets or otherwise think you can extrapolate that most of those folks have something prepaid from a third party or similar to Chase Liquid.

I don't even assume that. As my first post indicated, I assumed that a certain number would try to use cash if they hadn't preloaded their Ventra cards.

Again, it seems like you have gone on some sort of racial stereotype tangent when I was only trying to make an economic point. Maybe they all have internet access and load their cards that way, but then there wouldn't be a need for 3 nonworking machines.