BusHunter Posted September 2, 2013 Report Posted September 2, 2013 I see also that they still have the pace/cta 7 day pass and the cta only one. Why? This will just add to the confusion aboard Pace. I think they just need one card. How is someone going to explain to someone they have the wrong virtual pass. Hopefully there is a disclaimer on the machine that tells someone this, or many new riders are going to be confused. This still goes against the meaning of a universal fare card. Quote
Busjack Posted September 2, 2013 Author Report Posted September 2, 2013 I see also that they still have the pace/cta 7 day pass and the cta only one. Why? This will just add to the confusion aboard Pace. I think they just need one card. How is someone going to explain to someone they have the wrong virtual pass. Hopefully there is a disclaimer on the machine that tells someone this, or many new riders are going to be confused. This still goes against the meaning of a universal fare card. That goes back to when neither CTA nor RTA would reimburse Pace for accepting the CTA 7 day pass. The RTA at one time did but quit. Then CTA and Pace bypassed the RTA and agreed to the joint pass that would cost $5 more than the CTA one. Apparently CTA and Pace have intergovernmental agreements with respect to the 30 day passes and transfers, as Pace has claimed that CTA has paid up what it owes it. The distinction seems to be between universal media and universal fares, as the Pace Fare chart indicates that the Pace/CTA 30 and 7 day passes are the only ones it has in common with CTA; there are other things like the Commuter Club Card and 10 Ride Plus tickets (11 rides for the price of 10) "not valid on CTA." As far as disclosure, I have ruminated about that before. Quote
owine Posted September 2, 2013 Report Posted September 2, 2013 So, despite the press releases, CTA isn't waiving anything, because either one orders a card through a means that registers it automatically, or buys one at a machine and has to pay the $5 deposit to be credited on registration. More doubletalk. Waving the fee over the phone or at customer service centers. Quote
Busjack Posted September 2, 2013 Author Report Posted September 2, 2013 Waving the fee over the phone or at customer service centers. No indication that you get the card by those means without registering, as with respect to phone orders, they have to have your mailing address to send it to you. Also, according to the Press Release, the only customer service center is on Jefferson St. Will they let you have a card without registering it? Also, I guess there was a point to saying"spend your cards down," in that, other than mailing in the cards, balance transfers are one day at a park supposedly near you, according to the Press Release. Wonder what those lines are going to be like? I'm sure that trigger has all the answers to that. Also, this is #10,000. Quote
sw4400 Posted September 2, 2013 Report Posted September 2, 2013 I'm surprised that they are letting the machines handle pass transactions. They just made those machines a bank. Is someone going to trust not getting mugged putting $100 in these machines. It just doesn't sound safe, and it targets the machines for vandalism. Another question, since Pace is a part of this will they have ventra machines? If someone lives in Joliet and does not have a debit card, what do they do? The system is not just CTA.They really need an express machine in all the Jewel food stores, I think that would solve both problems. I don't think that's on the horizon anytime soon. All we have is the little machine that activates* and adds value. But who knows in the future... we might get vending machines. *= Registration still required through CTA/Ventra. $5.00 fee applied for new card purchases. Quote
Busjack Posted September 2, 2013 Author Report Posted September 2, 2013 I don't think that's on the horizon anytime soon. All we have is the little machine that activates* and adds value. But who knows in the future... we might get vending machines. *= Registration still required through CTA/Ventra. $5.00 fee applied for new card purchases. From the Pace minutes indicting that the Ventra machine is $226,000 each, I doubt that. Looks like the activation machine will be it, although I am surprised they went that far. Quote
BusHunter Posted September 2, 2013 Report Posted September 2, 2013 I don't think that's on the horizon anytime soon. All we have is the little machine that activates* and adds value. But who knows in the future... we might get vending machines. *= Registration still required through CTA/Ventra. $5.00 fee applied for new card purchases. So you are saying a machine that accepts debit card transactions. So far I've seen no machines of any type at Jewel. (How does it add value if it's doesn't have the capability of the big standup machines, sounds like a ventra card machine to me, at least a little more on the primitive side of the "L" station ones) Quote
Busjack Posted September 3, 2013 Author Report Posted September 3, 2013 So you are saying a machine that accepts debit card transactions. So far I've seen no machines of any type at Jewel. (How does it add value if it's doesn't have the capability of the big standup machines, sounds like a ventra card machine to me, at least a little more on the primitive side of the "L" station ones) sw would have to answer it himself. However, there is usually a sign at the top of the gift card rack that gift cards don't have value unless activated, so I suppose the cashier must have a means of doing so. It shouldn't take much more than a touch terminal. Quote
BusHunter Posted September 3, 2013 Report Posted September 3, 2013 That sounds like a gift card How would that work with a ventra card? Ventra cards are either reloadable or have to be registered the first time you buy it. Unless Jewel let's you put what you want on the card and then you can register it. But if so that's a one time deal. Quote
sw4400 Posted September 3, 2013 Report Posted September 3, 2013 So you are saying a machine that accepts debit card transactions. So far I've seen no machines of any type at Jewel. (How does it add value if it's doesn't have the capability of the big standup machines, sounds like a ventra card machine to me, at least a little more on the primitive side of the "L" station ones) sw would have to answer it himself. However, there is usually a sign at the top of the gift card rack that gift cards don't have value unless activated, so I suppose the cashier must have a means of doing so. It shouldn't take much more than a touch terminal. This is how the machine works... we take the Ventra Card after the customer tells us how much to put on it(there might be an option for passes, but we're still getting our feet wet regarding the Ventra machine). We input that through options in the machine and slide the card through. Two receipts print... one for the customer, one for us. We sign on at the register and enter a special PLU and input the Ventra amount added and the customer gives us the cash or swipes a Debit/Credit Card at the register to pay for the loaded value and we give them that transaction receipt as well. Quote
jajuan Posted September 3, 2013 Report Posted September 3, 2013 And to answer Bushunter's unspoken question as to what the machines look like since he mentioned he didn't see them, they are small grey machines sitting on the side of each relevant Jewel service desk cash register the size of small adding machines with multicolored keys to input the information that sw referred to. And PLU for those not privy to Jewel/Chicago grocery story internal lingo is Price Look Up number. CTA had the units installed the middle part of August if I'm not mistaken. sw can verify that for sure, but I do think that's when I first noticed them and one of the girls working the service desk at the Jewel I shop in verified that's what the unit was. Now to clear up whether the waiving of the $5 fee is double talk as Busjack suspects, sw can also verify whether the fee is charged as a separate item in the cash register and in that case if he and coworkers are instructed not to charge it or in the case that the register includes it in the price whether they've been programmed not to charge it during the grace period. If it's not double talk then it sounds like folks are getting a free $5 dollar transit value added to their cards upon registration during the supposed free period. Quote
Busjack Posted September 3, 2013 Author Report Posted September 3, 2013 ... Now to clear up whether the waiving of the $5 fee is double talk as Busjack suspects, sw can also verify whether the fee is charged as a separate item in the cash register and in that case if he and coworkers are instructed not to charge it or in the case that the register includes it in the price whether they've been programmed not to charge it during the grace period. If it's not double talk then it sounds like folks are getting a free $5 dollar transit value added to their cards upon registration during the supposed free period. The possibility also exists that someone gave Customer Service $10, and the receipt says $10, but the card, when presented at a fare reader says $5. Thus, one has to check if the receipt is itemized to that extent. Other than that, it sounds like a PowerBall machine at a cash register, as opposed to the big lottery ticket vending machine at the exit door with all the scratch and sniff lottery tickets, as well as quick picks. Quote
jajuan Posted September 3, 2013 Report Posted September 3, 2013 The possibility also exists that someone gave Customer Service $10, and the receipt says $10, but the card, when presented at a fare reader says $5. Thus, one has to check if the receipt is itemized to that extent. Yes true. I forgot about that part of it. I almost over-thought the fee issue and was going to say maybe it would probably be easier to account for new customers by entering the fee separately. However, I caught myself in midthought since a new customer of course would not have a Ventra card to begin with. Quote
sw4400 Posted September 3, 2013 Report Posted September 3, 2013 And to answer Bushunter's unspoken question as to what the machines look like since he mentioned he didn't see them, they are small grey machines sitting on the side of each relevant Jewel service desk cash register the size of small adding machines with multicolored keys to input the information that sw referred to. And PLU for those not privy to Jewel/Chicago grocery story internal lingo is Price Look Up number. CTA had the units installed the middle part of August if I'm not mistaken. sw can verify that for sure, but I do think that's when I first noticed them and one of the girls working the service desk at the Jewel I shop in verified that's what the unit was. Now to clear up whether the waiving of the $5 fee is double talk as Busjack suspects, sw can also verify whether the fee is charged as a separate item in the cash register and in that case if he and coworkers are instructed not to charge it or in the case that the register includes it in the price whether they've been programmed not to charge it during the grace period. If it's not double talk then it sounds like folks are getting a free $5 dollar transit value added to their cards upon registration during the supposed free period. Our unit was installed week ending 8/17, so about mid-August. We have two PLU's... one to input the dollar amount and one for the Ventra $5 fee. I have yet to have a chance to read up on the Ventra program fully since I am doing just about everything in the Front End, but seeing how we have a PLU for the fee, we put in the PLU for the amount first, then the PLU for the fee. The customer pays that total(value added + fee) at the register and gets the receipt. He/She registers their card through CTA/Ventra and the fee is put on that card as transit credit. With regard to the multi-day passes, I'd have to look into that and see how that is done. I imagine a similar PLU is used on the register. With the Ventra machine, there is probably a menu for transit passes that I didn't see, but again, I didn't have the time to explore the menus on the machine when logged in. Quote
Busjack Posted September 4, 2013 Author Report Posted September 4, 2013 ... We have two PLU's... one to input the dollar amount and one for the Ventra $5 fee. I have yet to have a chance to read up on the Ventra program fully since I am doing just about everything in the Front End, but seeing how we have a PLU for the fee, we put in the PLU for the amount first, then the PLU for the fee. The customer pays that total(value added + fee) at the register and gets the receipt. He/She registers their card through CTA/Ventra and the fee is put on that card as transit credit. .... Answers the question, but what happens if someone forgets the fee PLU?* __________ *Sort of like the nectarines all having a PLU sticker, but the cashier asks what it is and puts in the wrong thing. Quote
jajuan Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 Our unit was installed week ending 8/17, so about mid-August. We have two PLU's... one to input the dollar amount and one for the Ventra $5 fee. I have yet to have a chance to read up on the Ventra program fully since I am doing just about everything in the Front End, but seeing how we have a PLU for the fee, we put in the PLU for the amount first, then the PLU for the fee. The customer pays that total(value added + fee) at the register and gets the receipt. He/She registers their card through CTA/Ventra and the fee is put on that card as transit credit. With regard to the multi-day passes, I'd have to look into that and see how that is done. I imagine a similar PLU is used on the register. With the Ventra machine, there is probably a menu for transit passes that I didn't see, but again, I didn't have the time to explore the menus on the machine when logged in. So you guys haven't been instructed not to enter the fee PLU to honor CTA saying that the fee is waived until 2014? If that's the case then it would seem Busjack is correct that there is some double talk on CTA's part as not everyone is going to order a Ventra card online where the fee is definitely waived. Quote
Busjack Posted September 4, 2013 Author Report Posted September 4, 2013 So you guys haven't been instructed not to enter the fee PLU to honor CTA saying that the fee is waived until 2014? If that's the case then it would seem Busjack is correct that there is some double talk on CTA's part as not everyone is going to order a Ventra card online where the fee is definitely waived. As the cited press release states: The CTA and Pace are waiving the $5 one-time card purchase fee through the end of the year either online at ventrachicago.com, by calling (877) NOW VENTRA (1.877.669.8368) or in person at the Ventra Customer Service Center at 165 N. Jefferson St., Chicago, next to CTA headquarters. Customers who obtain a new Ventra card from Ventra vending machines at CTA rail stations or at hundreds of Ventra retail locations can easily have the one-time $5 fee immediately refunded as stored transit value on their card by taking a few minutes to register it online or by phone [emphasis added]. I assume that Jewel is one of the hundreds of retail locations. Hence, if the person behind the service desk is doing his or her job, they are not authorized to ignore the deposit PLU, unless the nectarine problem I mentioned earlier arises. But, probably, the Ventra terminal doesn't recognize the transaction without the deposit or the card being recognized as previously registered. Maybe sw wants to risk his job and try, but probably not. Quote
jajuan Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 As the cited press release states: I assume that Jewel is one of the hundreds of retail locations. Hence, if the person behind the service desk is doing his or her job, they are not authorized to ignore the deposit PLU, unless the nectarine problem I mentioned earlier arises. But, probably, the Ventra terminal doesn't recognize the transaction without the deposit or the card being recognized as previously registered. Maybe sw wants to risk his job and try, but probably not. I don't believe I was asking anyone to risk their job. Just looking for a clear answer of the circumstances of the fee being waived beyond somewhat misleading news headlines. Thanks for the response though even if there was a tinge of cynicism added. Quote
sw4400 Posted September 4, 2013 Report Posted September 4, 2013 Answers the question, but what happens if someone forgets the fee PLU?* __________ *Sort of like the nectarines all having a PLU sticker, but the cashier asks what it is and puts in the wrong thing. Then the customer gets the Ventra card without a fee, I guess. Hopefully, the associate who rings up the card doesn't forget, as that's basically like charging someone for an item, but not taking the money for it. I can't tell you how many times the wrong PLU is entered for fruits and vegetables, or even more interesting, the dreaded "add a few more numbers to quantity" mistake. I've refunded both... wrong PLU entry and someone charging for 300 ears of corn when they only bought 3. Quote
Kevin Posted September 9, 2013 Report Posted September 9, 2013 Today's award for clueless reporting goes to FOX 32's Joanie Lum. She informs us that with Ventra "you don't have to use a token" and that you just "tap it, apparently." Yes, apparently. This is followed by looping years-old file footage of people paying at turnstiles with magnetic cards, long before Ventra machines were installed. You stay classy, FOX Chicago. 5 Quote
Busjack Posted September 9, 2013 Author Report Posted September 9, 2013 Today's award for clueless reporting goes to FOX 32's Joanie Lum. She informs us that with Ventra "you don't have to use a token" and that you just "tap it, apparently." Yes, apparently. This is followed by looping years-old file footage of people paying at turnstiles with magnetic cards, long before Ventra machines were installed. You stay classy, FOX Chicago. For that matter, Hilkevitch said today: "In fact, owners of contactless credit and debit cards, which like a Ventra card contain radio frequency identification technology, can permanently forgo obtaining a Ventra card and simply tap their contactless credit or debit card on the Ventra reader on buses and at CTA rail stations and pay the same fare." (emphasis added). Not according to trigger and the way this thread went. 1 Quote
Amtrak41 Posted September 9, 2013 Report Posted September 9, 2013 http://www.suntimes.com/22454562-761/ventra-attracts-little-attention-from-cta-riders-during-first-morning-rush.html "Balances from as many as five old cards can be transferred at one time but must add up to a minimum of $5. Passes for one, three, seven or 30 days cannot be transferred, so these should be spent down. From January through March 2014, balances of any amount can be transferred by mailing in old cards to the Ventra Customer Service Center, at 165 N. Jefferson." Being back on the east coast since middle of last week with $2.25 left on my Chicagocard NotPlus, and not returning until next summer, I guess I am screwed. Quote
Busjack Posted September 9, 2013 Author Report Posted September 9, 2013 http://www.suntimes.com/22454562-761/ventra-attracts-little-attention-from-cta-riders-during-first-morning-rush.html "Balances from as many as five old cards can be transferred at one time but must add up to a minimum of $5. Passes for one, three, seven or 30 days cannot be transferred, so these should be spent down. From January through March 2014, balances of any amount can be transferred by mailing in old cards to the Ventra Customer Service Center, at 165 N. Jefferson." Being back on the east coast since middle of last week with $2.25 left on my Chicagocard NotPlus, and not returning until next summer, I guess I am screwed. Is this the same $2.25 as before the trip, or, after careful budgeting, you still have a balance? Quote
geneking7320 Posted September 9, 2013 Report Posted September 9, 2013 Have you folks paid attention to the tones played when you tap the Ventra card? They remind me of the automated door closing announcement on Metra. Quote
Amtrak41 Posted September 9, 2013 Report Posted September 9, 2013 Coincidence for the $2.25. I carefully budgeted exactly $12, and added same, but I screwed up on an assumption I should have checkout beforehand. Long story: 1) I had bought a 3-day pass Groupon for $9 last winter. It said "use by Sep 1". I assumed the 72 hours had to end by midnight Sep 1, so planned and calculated a bunch of CTA and PACE rides thru Wednesday. I left Chicago on Amtrak's #30 Wednesday night. 2) I had $12 all ready to insert at CTA vending machine in the Metra lobby in Union Station, but just like last year and the year before, it was not taking bills and no credit cards accepted. I wanted to take the 36 bus to 3000 North Broadway. So I shlepped up to Wells/Washington "L" station to add $12 there, then went to Dearborn St to catch my bus. I boarded precisely at 9:30am Aug 31, used my 3-day pass, which now said good thru 930am Sep 3. So which takes precedence: the Sep 1 or the Sep 3 ? I was to find out Labor Day Sep 2 morning. 3) On Labor Day, I walked from my hotel to the Diversey "L" station merely to try out the 3 day pass on a turnstile before risking screwing up on a bus to see if it would work. It did. So the cash fares I loaded on my Chicago Card for the trips I planned Sep 2 and early Sep 3 were not to be used. 4) Tuesday night Sep 3, with my surplus, was staying in Morton Grove, so I splurged and took PACE 210 for $2 round trip to take video of Metra at Glenview. (Empire Builder was 4 hours late, so couldn't wait around for that). They also did issue me a new farecard for the expired fare card for $2.25 at CTQ HQ. CTA's, and Ventra's advice on Chicago Card was to "give it to a friend in Chicago" since I won't be back until next summer. Well I really have none, so I am stuck with an extra $2.25. I am surprised they encourage transferability when they can be registered to an individual. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.