Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

If one has a credit card in their pocket with the chip, such as from Chase, and was not registered to be a Ventra card, if it were to brush against a Ventra reader, would it deduct the fare from it anyway ?

It sounds like it would take more than a brush, but a direct tap on the reader, so in the pocket probably won't set it off.

Posted

But in case it did, would Ventra ignore it since the owner did not make Ventra aware or register that particular bank card with them ?

The card readers are mounted so it is really unlikely that your pants pocket would ever touch one.

But I understand that is not your real concern. The answer is that if you somehow accidentally touched an unregistered compatible bankcard to the card reader, yes it would charge you for a fare the same way if you accidentally touched your bankcard to one of those contactless card readers at Walgreens it would charge the card for your drugs. The system is intended to allow anyone with one of these cards to pay their fare without making any prior arrangements.

If you want to block your card from being used, I suggest registering the card with Ventra and then reporting it as stolen to Ventra customer service (but NOT to your bank!). Ventra will then place the card on its blocked card list.

Posted

From my understanding, registering your contactless bankcard is not required to avoid PAYG fares. You just need to add a pass or transit value at a vending machine. A registered bankcard with no associated pass or transit value is still subject to PAYG fares.

I used my unregistered bankcard (with no pass or value added) to pay for a couple of rides this morning since I didn't need a transfer. It worked fine, and my card was authorized for $5 on the first tap. No additional authorization was added for the second tap.

I'm dying to know the reason for the lack of transfers under PAYG. I can't think of a technical reason for this limitation, since they already keep track of your taps throughout the day before making the final charge. This is the extreme opposite of London's Oyster card, where daily fares are always capped at the price of a day pass.

On your last point, unfortunately good ole American style capitalism when not constrained by consumer protections is coming into play on the PAYG feature.

Posted

On your last point, unfortunately good ole American style capitalism when not constrained by consumer protections is coming into play on the PAYG feature.

Which is what I said earlier, combined with Sam's comment about lying about fare increases. I wonder if people are going to keep relying on Emanuel's statement "I meant the base fare" when he raised everything else, and still has a deficit. And I mean "he."

Posted

From my understanding, registering your contactless bankcard is not required to avoid PAYG fares. You just need to add a pass or transit value at a vending machine. A registered bankcard with no associated pass or transit value is still subject to PAYG fares.

...

Which was my point with regard to not being willing to register my debit card, since the alternatives according to trigger were either putting a transit account on that card or paying $2.25 a swipe.

Now, since using a credit card at the old machines was not dependent on RFID technology, are you saying that the Ventra vending machines aren't taking the old fashioned mag stripe credit cards? Or does one just swipe one of those and pay the $5 deposit?

P.S. I'm agreeing with the FoxChicago report at 8:30 that Ventra certainly is not going over well with the riders.

Posted

Which was my point with regard to not being willing to register my debit card, since the alternatives according to trigger were either putting a transit account on that card or paying $2.25 a swipe.

Now, since using a credit card at the old machines was not dependent on RFID technology, are you saying that the Ventra vending machines aren't taking the old fashioned mag stripe credit cards? Or does one just swipe one of those and pay the $5 deposit?

P.S. I'm agreeing with the FoxChicago report at 8:30 that Ventra certainly is not going over well with the riders.

On your last point, in part because the way CTA is muddling through the rollout is serving to, in some cases, unnecessarily exacerbate folks' fears of the potential negatives, and in doing so only providing ways for the negatives to overshadow the potential positives that can be found, especially if you learn to be savvy about it like customers of other products and service tend to learn to be when it comes to how much a hit to the wallet they're reasonably willing to take.

Posted

On your last point, in part because the way CTA is muddling through the rollout is serving to, in some cases, unnecessarily exacerbate folks' fears of the potential negatives, and in doing so only providing ways for the negatives to overshadow the potential positives that can be found, especially if ..

Which is the point that the CTA always seems to do that, despite having a $650,000/year PR department. PR is, of course, only effective if it affects public perception.

They messed up the PR on the debit card portion too, although that may have been one of the PR "putting lipstick on a pig" problems. Note that unlike renegotiating with MetaBank, CTA isn't going out of its way to explain people who should have received mailings or cards but did not, negative balances after payments were made either by credit card or a Ventra machine, for instance, not to mention in our context, having to use trigger to explain anything.

I thought that an open fare system would have been a good thing, but with CTA mucking it up in its usual fashion....

Posted

Email from Ventra to registered CCP & CC Customers This Morning

This is an important follow-up email regarding Ventra and your Chicago Card contact information.

The CTA and Pace are in the process of transitioning to Ventra, the easy new way to pay for train and bus rides. With Ventra, customers will be able to use a single fare card for transit throughout the Chicago region. If you have not already done so, it is imperative that you take a moment to update your information on your Chicago Card account (http://www.chicago-card.com/cc/) by clicking/selecting Edit Registration Info. Please update your information by 9-20-13.

Once youve confirmed your contact information, we will start the process of creating your new Ventra Card. You will receive an email from Ventra 7-10 business days before your Card is shipped with instructions for activating your card.

We recommend that you spend down the remaining balance on your Chicago Card prior to activating your new Ventra Card. In-person balance transfers will be available in the future, so please look for updates on ventrachicago.com.

We look forward to getting you on board with Ventra!

The Chicago Card team

1-888-YOUR-CTA

Posted

Ok, I got my Ventra Card today and added a 7-Day Pass, but how do I register it? The sticker on the card says

YOU CAN USE THIS CARD IMMEDIATELY to board trains and buses on CTA and PACE. Optional: Visit ventrachicago.com or call 1-877-NOW-VENTRA to activate your Prepaid Debit Account and use wherever Debit MasterCard® is accepted.

I absolutely do not want that optional Debit Card!!! I just want to register it so I can get a replacement if lost or stolen and a new one when expired.

This is the screen on ventrachicago.com

post-10-0-01863300-1379018658_thumb.jpg

Posted

I take that the 877 number is the general Ventra number and you can deal with them with regard to any Ventra issue you have. You might even get a human to answer the phone, and thus your question. Or trigger will be here in a while.

Posted

I haven't been seeing too many Ventra users on the bus. I would say usage is at 10 percent. Most likely everyone is waiting until they have to use Ventra, so there will be a flood of cards in November going out. So this has got me wondering if there might be a shortage of cards when that happens. I have on one of my future youtube videos a story about the Chicago Cards being sold out due to the fact that everyone had to use them to avoid a fare increase. So if riders are being forced to use Ventra wouldn't the past have a possibility of repeating itself. Just a thought.

Posted

I haven't been seeing too many Ventra users on the bus. I would say usage is at 10 percent. Most likely everyone is waiting until they have to use Ventra, so there will be a flood of cards in November going out. So this has got me wondering if there might be a shortage of cards when that happens. I have on one of my future youtube videos a story about the Chicago Cards being sold out due to the fact that everyone had to use them to avoid a fare increase. So if riders are being forced to use Ventra wouldn't the past have a possibility of repeating itself. Just a thought.

I think that the difference is that whoever runs this is going to have to have enough cards to convert everyone by December, while the Chicago Cards were only to avoid a fare increase, and the mag stripe cards still remained available.In short, inventory not sold in September should still be available for sale in December, unless someone totally miscalculated.

Posted

CTA ridership on a standard weekday is between 1.6 & 1.7 million riders, so if we estimate half of those are single rides they may be in the neighborhood of needing one million Ventra cards. Are they prepared for this? I should note not the same riders ride everyday so that figure could be higher. I wonder if Ventra or a Ventra like system is in place in one of the major public transportation cities like LA or N.Y. If not this may be a true experiment in the production limits of the card.

As far as your chicago card point, it was just the cash riders back then who needed a card the pass people were ok, this time by comparison though is the entire system. I think I'm going to recommend people at least buy a card because if they do have a shortage how will those people without a ventra card ride anything.

Btw, I forgot the pace riders so are we talking two million to three million cards?

Posted

Ok, I got the card registered finally. On a first trial use today...

First thoughts: It was a quick, easy process to use... you hold it to the reader until you hear a *beep* and the screen says "GO", and you're good to go. I haven't tried it yet at a rail station yet, where a lot of the issues have been reported with turnstiles malfunctioning and not working partway in after you touch the card. If the kinks have been worked out now, then this could be a quick, easy process for all to use to board CTA Buses and Trains and PACE Buses too. I could even see this somehow used on Metra if they ever get on board with the idea. How they would utilize it, I don't know... Conductors with portable Ventra readers, Ventra readers at the car doors... however they choose to do it, it'll be easier then carrying cash for trips from say Ravenswood to Evanston Main or Ogilvie Station, which are priced differently depending on destination.

This might even replace the ADA 10-ride tickets for the PACE Paratransit Vans. They can just put a Ventra reader in the back and the customer simply taps their Ventra Card and the Paratransit cost is deducted from the card.

Posted

CTA ridership on a standard weekday is between 1.6 & 1.7 million riders, so if we estimate half of those are single rides they may be in the neighborhood of needing one million Ventra cards. Are they prepared for this? I should note not the same riders ride everyday so that figure could be higher. I wonder if Ventra or a Ventra like system is in place in one of the major public transportation cities like LA or N.Y. If not this may be a true experiment in the production limits of the card.

As far as your chicago card point, it was just the cash riders back then who needed a card the pass people were ok, this time by comparison though is the entire system. I think I'm going to recommend people at least buy a card because if they do have a shortage how will those people without a ventra card ride anything.

Btw, I forgot the pace riders so are we talking two million to three million cards?

I think they might be prepared for this. I'm seeing an increasing number of riders on the 22 Clark, 9 Ashland along its northern section, and on the north side express routes using a Ventra card each day. And from what I've been seeing, most of them have little problems with using their cards. I think I may have seen four or five people total out of Ventra users I've seen since late August who had a problem with their cards being read by the Ventra reader and the bus operators have let them aboard with no argument.

Posted

I think they might be prepared for this. I'm seeing an increasing number of riders on the 22 Clark, 9 Ashland along its northern section, and on the north side express routes using a Ventra card each day. And from what I've been seeing, most of them have little problems with using their cards. I think I may have seen four or five people total out of Ventra users I've seen since late August who had a problem with their cards being read by the Ventra reader and the bus operators have let them aboard with no argument.

The bus operators are supposed to be able to check to see if your card is valid if say for instance someone boarded with a bogus card with nothing on it/expired pass. Whether they have time to conduct court has yet to be seen. I did see a bus tonight with the ventra card reader saying not in use. I have been told the vending machines at the CTA rail stations will give you a receipt but I have yet to dig deeper into that. Like i said before CTA should pass you by if your card doesn't work initially but probably in the future they might check the card out, but that might slow down operations. (at least that's my concern)

Posted

I received and activated my Ventra card last night. The balance from my Chicago Card Plus was supposed to automatically get transferred to the Ventra card. It didn't and I got the big red "STOP" at the reader.

To add to the fun, Ventra's support form on their site has a 160 character limit. Might as well just use Twitter.

  • Upvote 3
Posted

CTA ridership on a standard weekday is between 1.6 & 1.7 million riders, so if we estimate half of those are single rides they may be in the neighborhood of needing one million Ventra cards. Are they prepared for this? I should note not the same riders ride everyday so that figure could be higher. I wonder if Ventra or a Ventra like system is in place in one of the major public transportation cities like LA or N.Y. If not this may be a true experiment in the production limits of the card.

..

Btw, I forgot the pace riders so are we talking two million to three million cards?

It still seems like your numbers are way off.

First, if the base fare is $2.25 and the average fare is $1.10, the number of actual passengers is far less than the number of rides, even if some passengers are using discount media.

Second, if you go somewhere, you usually have to get back, so cut half of them.

Third, there is the issue of cross platform transfers.

Fourth, Pace says 40% of its riders transfer to CTA.

I don't think that, for example, Citibank has any problem getting out millions of cards.

Posted

The key there was "after waiving their wallet," instead of "tapping their card."

But after having debated what would be charged if the reader encountered two, I guess we now have an answer. Of course, the most expensive one.

Anyway, see the DePaul tweets embedded in the article.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...