New Flyer buys NABI

An update to the New Flyer-NABI story:

New Flyer is now in the process of phasing out production of the existing NABI products at the Anniston, AL plant. Once existing NABI orders are fulfilled, the Anniston plant will switch to producing New Flyer Xcelsior buses (in addition to production in Minnesota for the US and foreign markets and in Winnipeg for the Canadian market).

Thus, NFI bought the production, parts and distribution assets, but not the bus designs, of NABI. NABI's existing bus models were inherited by NFI only because of a production backlog from the previous ownership.

An update to the New Flyer-NABI story:

New Flyer is now in the process of phasing out production of the existing NABI products at the Anniston, AL plant. Once existing NABI orders are fulfilled, the Anniston plant will switch to producing New Flyer Xcelsior buses (in addition to production in Minnesota for the US and foreign markets and in Winnipeg for the Canadian market).

Thus, NFI bought the production, parts and distribution assets, but not the bus designs, of NABI. NABI's existing bus models were inherited by NFI only because of a production backlog from the previous ownership.

New Flyer press release is here.

However, this is a bit inconsistent with a prior release that WMATA awarded NF subsidiary NABI LLC a contract for BRT buses. Based on the transitioning language in the release cited above, I guess the base order, which was supposed to be delivered by now, will be NABIs, but anything else Xs.

One is going to wonder what will happen if NF doesn't get enough orders to justify another 500 bus/year capacity. But I had suggested above that NF was not going to continue making NABIs, but I hadn't figured that they would also drop the LFR. Note also that the press release has various euphemisms for "layoffs."

New Flyer press release is here.

However, this is a bit inconsistent with a prior release that WMATA awarded NF subsidiary NABI LLC a contract for BRT buses. Based on the transitioning language in the release cited above, I guess the base order, which was supposed to be delivered by now, will be NABIs, but anything else Xs.

One is going to wonder what will happen if NF doesn't get enough orders to justify another 500 bus/year capacity. But I had suggested above that NF was not going to continue making NABIs, but I hadn't figured that they would also drop the LFR. Note also that the press release has various euphemisms for "layoffs."

Yeah I noticed New Flyer opened a bus rehab facility in you guessed it, California. Maybe they are trying to get the NABI crowd interested in NF's.

Yeah I noticed New Flyer opened a bus rehab facility in you guessed it, California. Maybe they are trying to get the NABI crowd interested in NF's.

They have already succeeded in interesting LACMTA in buying 550 40 ft Xcelsiors to replace its 2000 and 2001 vintage NABI LFWs. Last year, San Diego MTS ordered NF 60 ft Xcelsior buses for its Rapid BRT service. MTS's previous order of 60 ft buses came from NABI. On the other hand, MTS's most recent 40 ft buses are from Gillig. Compared to the previous order of NF 40 footers, the Gilligs look like discount buses. If anyone is interested in seeing SD's buses I can take some pics and post. I tried snapping a pic of a Rapid bus, but the light changed and I had to get a move on.

• Upvote 2

If you are referring to what was on the New Flyer home page ("New Flyer is pleased to announce the grand opening of our Ontario, California bus completion and service facility") that says "New Flyer’s subsidiary, NABI Bus, LLC has relocated its team from their Mira Loma, California location." Apparently only to serve NABI's customers in the LA area better.

As rvwnsd pointed out above, New Flyer already won the LACMTD contract for Xcelsiors. I had pointed that out in noting that NABI was already losing its prime customer.

Based on NABI itself having already canceled the Metro 45C, LACMTD is going to have to do something different when those reach their service life, but it sort of looks like convincing NF to build an XN45. But who knows what will be around in, say 2025.

We were told on our tour of the New Flyer plant that the Ontario plant will be doing final assembly on the LA order. The LA buses when shipped have no passenger seats or stansions installed. All of this equipment is to be installed in California. California wanted a certain percentage of assembly performed in state to help their unemployment situation.

We were told on our tour of the New Flyer plant that the Ontario plant will be doing final assembly on the LA order. The LA buses when shipped have no passenger seats or stansions installed. All of this equipment is to be installed in California. California wanted a certain percentage of assembly performed in state to help their unemployment situation.

In that is is called a bus "completion" and service facility, makes sense.

But again, Gillig and ElDorado National, both California companies, apparently weren't in the running for this order.

They have already succeeded in interesting LACMTA in buying 550 40 ft Xcelsiors to replace its 2000 and 2001 vintage NABI LFWs. Last year, San Diego MTS ordered NF 60 ft Xcelsior buses for its Rapid BRT service. MTS's previous order of 60 ft buses came from NABI. On the other hand, MTS's most recent 40 ft buses are from Gillig. Compared to the previous order of NF 40 footers, the Gilligs look like discount buses. If anyone is interested in seeing SD's buses I can take some pics and post. I tried snapping a pic of a Rapid bus, but the light changed and I had to get a move on.

If it isn't too far out of your way maybe you can take some pics around the Old Town transit center. There should be plenty of buses at that intermodal center. Thanks much.

If it isn't too far out of your way maybe you can take some pics around the Old Town transit center. There should be plenty of buses at that intermodal center. Thanks much.

I certainly can. It and the Fashion Valley transit center are both good places to see the various and sundry examples of MTS's fleet. I might be over there this (6/29) afternoon. Let's see what I can snap. However, the Rapid buses are currently limited to BRT route 235 (I-15/SR-94) which doesn't serve Old Town or Fashion Valley.

Stay tuned!