2600-series - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

10 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

I’d say why not retire the 2600s off the Blue Line since the 7000s are directly going there instead of sending their cars to the orange line to retire their cars as orange lines 2600s are in much better shape compared to the ones on the blue line.

Because Skokie Shops have jurisdiction over all rail cars when it comes to deliveries and retirements. You cannot make retirement moves in any other yards that involves switch personnel preparing trains for service and laying up trains from service. It’s against Standard Operating Procedures. 

On 3/7/2024 at 5:45 PM, Busjack said:

That also informs us on what series will go to each line. Like when it came out (when improper welds were found on the 5000s) that Lake shop was also doing 54th's work, Midway is also doing Kimball's work. Kimball shop and yard might have been adequate in about 1987, but not now.

Which baffles me that Brown and Orange had 24s (Before 1993 for Ravenswood), 26s, and 3200s. Makes me wonder if Midway Shop ever touched 24s before them being transferred to Green Line after the Lake Street Branch reconstruction.

7 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Which baffles me that Brown and Orange had 24s (Before 1993 for Ravenswood), 26s, and 3200s. Makes me wonder if Midway Shop ever touched 24s before them being transferred to Green Line after the Lake Street Branch reconstruction.

I don't think you go back far enough. Krambles CTA at 45 (1992) had pictures of the temporary Ravenswood shop while a new one being constructed with a 2700 in it, the construction of the Orange Line (chicago-l.org says it opened in 1993), and a new 3200 with an orange Ford City roll sign. So, until more recent times (i.e. Brownage, and then the shift to the Blue Line) the Orange Line ran only 3200s. The Orange Line then was said to need 90-110 cars, and since 256 were ordered, the rest went to Brown ad Yellow (although some single units were rebuilt and paired for the Yellow Line; they eventually became work cars).

The only thing the book incorrectly predicted was that more 3200-type cars would be needed to replace the 2000s, but they were retired by 1994.

chicago-l,org has 2400s all over the place, but basically around the 1990s on West-South, which was Lake-Dan Ryan,  and then to te Red Line until the Green Line reopened..

• 1 month later...