2600-series - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

32 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Because they are supposed to be retired by 7000s.

Also, no saying they would take less of a beating on the Brown Line, which at least had higher passenger loads.

It seem like the priority is to convert the newer ones to work cars, instead of using them for passenger service, although the 2 are not mutually incompatible.

Swapping 2600s and 3200s doesn't preclude the 2600s from being retired by the 7000s.

Last I checked,  the Blue Line is still the second busiest line by passengers and is the longest CTA rail route by miles.  The Brown Line is third.  So while there might not be a big difference in passenger loads, there's a significant difference in mileage..  Half of the Brown Line fleet isn't in use except for rush hour so Brown Line cars take less if a beating than Blue Line cars.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I know Blue Line is slated to get the 7000s first as they already have some.  We also know that they have been limited to the morning rush and limited to running between O'Hare and UIC.  Garmon757 said that they were testing software AND that the Forest Park branch lacked the necessary power upgrades.  Based on this, it seems crazy to continue to assign 7000s to the Blue Line if CTA can't or won't run these new cars the full length of the route.  There are only so many short turns they can run and two of those are operated by the Pink Line. 

Meanwhile the 2600s are racking up ridiculous mileage on the Blue Line 

Why not swap some 2600s with Brown Line 3200s where the 2600s would take less of a beating?  Or just assign the 7000svto run the full length of the Blue Line regardless of power and tracks.   I rode 2616 the other day.   This car will soon be 42 years old and it's running on CTA'S longest rail line.  Does anyone remember the delays and breakdowns the 2200s had from running so hard on this same line?

only reason 7000’s run AM to UIC is temporary bcuz of software and master switch testing once that is completed in december you’ll see them go back to forest park starting january it’s already been confirmed by CTA and CRRC employees the 7000’s have passed the congress branch tests and they did well

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually finally got a ride on a 7000-series Blue Line “L” train when I rode downtown to City Hall to pay the monthly Water Bill. I was not expecting it.

But essentially, as more 7000-series cars enter service on the Blue Line; yards have to cease mixing consists of the 3200-series cars with the 2600-series cars - particularly if those 2600s are going to be transferred to the Orange or Brown Line. ?

12 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

I actually finally got a ride on a 7000-series Blue Line “L” train when I rode downtown to City Hall to pay the monthly Water Bill. I was not expecting it.

But essentially, as more 7000-series cars enter service on the Blue Line; yards have to cease mixing consists of the 3200-series cars with the 2600-series cars - particularly if those 2600s are going to be transferred to the Orange or Brown Line. ?

That's possible but I think mixing the 2600s and 3200s simplify pairing cars.  I think part of the reason for the 7000s having Blue end caps is to differentiate them from the 3200s which also have the fluted sides.  It would probably be a pain right now to have to couple each series separately.   As the 2600s dwindle down, it will get easier to couple the 3200s with each other.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 7:44 AM, William Miles said:

Do anyone knows when are the cta going to retirer 2600 series. And renew the Forest park branch on the blue line 

It’s going to be a while until the 2600’s start to get retired. According to the contract it is listed around 78 2600’s will retire along with the 22 work motors. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think 3179-3180 have been retired. The pair is in a video at a yard near the Midway Orange Line station with candy cane work motor stripes. 3179-3180 are coupled to a pair of 2400s that also have the candy cane work motor stripes (2415-2416). The candy cane work motor stripes indicate that 3179-3180 are retired and are now only used for work service (no passengers).

On the Chicago L facebook page there is a report that another 50 3200 are on their way to the Blue Line from the Brown with more 2600 going the other way (and to Orange). The 3100 work motors have been removed from revenue service. The 3200 with roof boards will remain on Brown due to low ceiling in the Kimball subway.

On 1/29/2023 at 9:47 AM, Rhys Pate said:

I think 3179-3180 have been retired. The pair is in a video at a yard near the Midway Orange Line station with candy cane work motor stripes. 3179-3180 are coupled to a pair of 2400s that also have the candy cane work motor stripes (2415-2416). The candy cane work motor stripes indicate that 3179-3180 are retired and are now only used for work service (no passengers).

Correct that pair is retired, every 2600 is in candy cane strips is retired from service . There could have been 20 cars 3129-30 is scrapped. 

1 hour ago, Rhys Pate said:

Also, what happened to 3129-3130 that caused them to be retired earlier (since they are now scrapped)?

Supposition is that they were in the Sept. 2013 Blue Line collision out of the Forest Park yard. Chicago--l.org has them on the June 5, 2013 assignment list, but on LTH on the May 21, 2015 list. Only 3171 and 3177 show up in any news footage. Those two show up on the LTH list, as do 3061-3062 from the O'Hare accident,* although 3061 had to be fake because they had to disassemble the car to get it off the escalator. So pick your accident.

* @andrethebusman has these cars on LTH as of  April 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, rl12383 said:

CTA Finance Committee agenda for tomorrow includes a contract for sale of up to 100 rail cars for scrapping. Looks like the slow removal of the 2600s will begin soon. 

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/21/Feb2023_-_FAB_Web_Agenda1.pdf?34571 

I thought I saw this before, but that was the solicitation. Discussion began here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • garmon757 changed the title to 2600-series - Updates & Retirements
  • garmon757 featured and pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Is there any reason why those cars have traveled to the  Green Line yard?

Probably somewhere to stash them. Orange doesn't need  48 cars after the Brownage trips were canceled.