Blue Line Collision

Kevin

The Suntimes is quoting a spokeswoman from the CTA:

A westbound Blue Line train was stopped at the Harlem station when it was struck by an eastbound
Blue Line train on the same track just before 8 a.m., a CTA spokeswoman said.

It is unclear why the two trains were on the same track, a CTA spokeswoman said.

The Suntimes is quoting a spokeswoman from the CTA:

It is unclear why the two trains were on the same track, a CTA spokeswoman said.

Maybe the CTA spokeswoman should ask why the cab signal didn't stop the moving train. I guess this is still 1977.

A friend of mine watching the live coverage told me that they are saying an "unauthorized person" was in control of the train. I'm at work so I can't check it out. Is anyone else hearing this?

WGN TV just said there was an out of service train stopped on the tracks when an in service train with passengers aboard slammed into it, and didn't slow down even though the passengers started screaming.

Update: However, the Tribune story sounds contradictory; at the moment:

The accident happened around 8 a.m. when an outbound train stopped at the Harlem station was hit by an out-of-service train going the opposite direction on the same track, according to CTA spokeswoman Lambrini Lukidis.

I guess in the fog of raw news, nobody really knows. Most of the talk has been about the varying numbers of injured.''

Update 2: WGN TV just said "the standing train didn't have any passengers, the moving train that struck it did."

Update 3: WGN TV says it was 2 westbound trains, and clearly from the skycam, it was at the station, and several witnesses on the platform talked to them. So besides the signal question, there is the question why one train would be speeding into a station.

About 3 hours later: Looks like TV was wrong.

Some people on the Tribune message board for the article are saying the out of service train was stolen. How can that be possible?

It doesn't seem to matter, since the in service train hit it. (Apparently wrong).

Just because someone has a facebook account doesn't mean that they have the facts, as obviously, the Tribune doesn't either.

Wait for the NTSB investigation.

#3171 to me seems to be the striker, #3177 has too much damage to be the striker. Obviously the "L" train structure caved in when another train hit it. We saw the same thing in the Blue line/Addison 1976 crash. The train cars buckle when a tremendous force is placed upon them. To me it looks like #3171 hit a standing train. I don't buy a train left the yard. Probably the driver on #3171 was distracted, hopefully they weren't on a cell phone. I was just looking at automobile driver's on LSD the other day and commenting about how 70 percent were on cell phones. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they say happened.

#3171 to me seems to be the striker, #3177 has too much damage to be the striker. Obviously the "L" train structure caved in when another train hit it. We saw the same thing in the Blue line/Addison 1976 crash. The train cars buckle when a tremendous force is placed upon them. To me it looks like #3171 hit a standing train. I don't buy a train left the yard. Probably the driver on #3171 was distracted, hopefully they weren't on a cell phone. I was just looking at automobile driver's on LSD the other day and commenting about how 70 percent were on cell phones. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they say happened.

Besides the cab signal issue, there doesn't seem to be any way how an unattended train could take off, given that there is also a deadman feature on the controls, not to mention that the signal system should have stopped the train. If no one were putting pressure on the control, it shouldn't have moved, at least under its own power.

In that WGN TV said that none of the CTA spokesmodels were on the site, the Tribune reports are dealing with a combination of hearsay and ignorance.

Robert Kelly (the union president) was just on the TV, and said that several supervisors at Forest Park said they saw the train take off with nobody in it. However, he said what would cause that is the "million dollar question," as it would take two keys to start the train.

Again, not to mention the deadman and signals.

WGN reported a train hit a standing train due to mechanical issues, they are going against the highjacked train theory now. Whether the mechanical issues were based on what the operator of #3171 is reported to have said I don't know. Most train cars now have cameras, so they should have a recording of what happened. It would be interesting if those cameras have an audio feed.

WGN reported a train hit a standing train due to mechanical issues, they are going against the highjacked train theory now. Whether the mechanical issues were based on what the operator of #3171 is reported to have said I don't know. Most train cars now have cameras, so they should have a recording of what happened. It would be interesting if those cameras have an audio feed.

The news said that Forest Park authorities want to see the video from station, car, and yard cameras.

The CTA says that trains are now going to Forest Park, but not stopping at Harlem. Are they single tracking past the station, or have the trains been moved?

Sondra Solarte, after getting the pat on the back in the social media segment for having been the first (see above) said in the traffic segment that it was single track around the Harlem station.

Maybe somebody can answer this Why isn't Claypool there or did Emanuel told him not to be there?

Apparently while emergency staff was there, none of the suits were.

You also imply the question that it was in Forest Park, not Chicago.

The other puzzlement is that while I am sure the suits are not informed, why they are content to let the word go out through the union president.

Apparently while emergency staff was there, none of the suits were.

You also imply the question that it was in Forest Park, not Chicago.

The other puzzlement is that while I am sure the suits are not informed, why they are content to let the word go out through the union president.

If you go by what the Mayor of Forest Park its 48 people got injur.If you go by the CTA Spoke people 33.

The question is who has better credibility?

While the accident happen in Forest Park.You think Claypool and his 205,000 salary would be there to represent the CTA.

1. That's sad! Very Sad! When I woke up this morning, I heard about it on the TV in my mother's room! This is getting national exposure! Pray For The Victims!

Whether the number CTA says or Forest Park says, there haven't been any serious injuries reported.