2600-series - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

Nah, that's been the plan all the time...Blue @ least 400 cars, Brown @ least 160 cars and Orange @ least 160 cars and the remaining 146 cars could be going elsewhere on the system. 

That doesn't answer the question. Blue could have gotten by with 400 2600s, instead of 257 3200s and 150 2600s.

48 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The only question would be if CTA has a back up contract with Alstom should things get bad enough with CRRC that CTA would decide to cancel the 7000s and surrender the new cars currently in service?

There isn't any "back up contract." Alstom didn't bid, and if you are implying it inherited something from Bombardier in the merger, CTA told Bombardier where to go with its protest. I only mentioned Alstom in connection with TTC.

As I said before, it would take the CT Board to declare a default, which it has not done.

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

There isn't any "back up contract." Alstom didn't bid, and if you are implying it inherited something from Bombardier in the merger, CTA told Bombardier where to go with its protest. I only mentioned Alstom in connection with TTC.

As I said before, it would take the CT Board to declare a default, which it has not done.

Yet

17 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Yet

Considering that CTA let Bombardier fix the defects in the 5000 and assessed penalties for delivering them late, and all the years of rigamarole over the NABIs, I don't think it will be in a hurry to do so, nor that this announcement indicates that such is imminent.

Maybe some other company can build cars 401-700 before CRRC could, but starting here from scratch would set back the entire procurement (cars 101-700) by at least 2, and possibly 3 years, given the bidding time and 1-year test, not to mention the litigation. On the other hand, an option doesn't need to be exercised.

• 4 weeks later...

[color=#9400d3] I remain unsure on where to post this.
The Authority is assigning more 7000-series consists to runs on the Blue Line "L". I saw one on the [i]opposite track[/i] at the Division station at approximately 11:38 pm on a weeknight.
I post this in this topic because this [i]should[/i] mean more 2600-series trains are going to be sent to the Brown Line "L".
I do not if I should consider this a snag or an homage, but the majority of 8-car Blue Line "L" trains are mixed consists of 2600-series and 3200-series trains.
[What is the homage? The Chicago, Aurora, & Elgin, on which the Forest Park Branch segment of the Blue Line closely parallels, almost always ran consists of multiple train manufacturers on rush hour runs.]
Making and breaking trains in the 1950s was humanely intense. In 2023, how many employees does it take to accomplish this? If the 2600s cars are cars 3-4, or 5-6, in an 8-car train; how will the Authority separate them from the 3200s in order to offload them to the Brown Line? [Deep railfan history question: How long will be the transfer trains with the outgoing 2600s? 8, 10, 12 cars?]
I genuinely await an astute answer to this. The 7000s may be dying on the vine for a handful of reasons, but they are being delivered and going into service on the Blue Line. [/color]

1 hour ago, pudgym29 said:

[color=#9400d3] I remain unsure on where to post this.
The Authority is assigning more 7000-series consists to runs on the Blue Line "L". I saw one on the [i]opposite track[/i] at the Division station at approximately 11:38 pm on a weeknight.
I post this in this topic because this [i]should[/i] mean more 2600-series trains are going to be sent to the Brown Line "L".
I do not if I should consider this a snag or an homage, but the majority of 8-car Blue Line "L" trains are mixed consists of 2600-series and 3200-series trains.
[What is the homage? The Chicago, Aurora, & Elgin, on which the Forest Park Branch segment of the Blue Line closely parallels, almost always ran consists of multiple train manufacturers on rush hour runs.]
Making and breaking trains in the 1950s was humanely intense. In 2023, how many employees does it take to accomplish this? If the 2600s cars are cars 3-4, or 5-6, in an 8-car train; how will the Authority separate them from the 3200s in order to offload them to the Brown Line? [Deep railfan history question: How long will be the transfer trains with the outgoing 2600s? 8, 10, 12 cars?]
I genuinely await an astute answer to this. The 7000s may be dying on the vine for a handful of reasons, but they are being delivered and going into service on the Blue Line. [/color]

I could be wrong but I think the 2600s that get transferred to the Brown Line are shuttled in four car consists and not eight.  They can be sent from Forest Park or Rosemont or both

It is easier to make a four car consist than an eight car one.  

Also while the Blue Line runs mixed fleets.each consists isn't evenly split.  Some consists have 6 3200s while some have 6 2600s.  There afe some 8 car 3200s and some 8-car 2600s.

After 10pm, the Blue Line starts to break down the consists that remain in service to four car consists.  They can also break consists down prior to going to the yard if they are trying to get a set in for repairs or to make a consist to ship to another line

I don't know if there's a designated yard track for that.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

After 10pm, the Blue Line starts to break down the consists that remain in service to four car consists.

idk if you meaning this by 4 cars running in service after 10pm if that’s what u mean then it’s false the blue line still runs 8 cars 24/7 and recently they’ll be a 7000’s set running at like 2-3am……

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I could be wrong but I think the 2600s that get transferred to the Brown Line are shuttled in four car consists and not eight.  They can be sent from Forest Park or Rosemont or both

It is easier to make a four car consist than an eight car one.  

Also while the Blue Line runs mixed fleets.each consists isn't evenly split.  Some consists have 6 3200s while some have 6 2600s.  There afe some 8 car 3200s and some 8-car 2600s.

After 10pm, the Blue Line starts to break down the consists that remain in service to four car consists.  They can also break consists down prior to going to the yard if they are trying to get a set in for repairs or to make a consist to ship to another line

I don't know if there's a designated yard track for that.

This makes me miss the pre covid days. Before the pandemic. Green,Purple,Orange and Brown Lines ran 4-car consists as well along with the Blue. Before then, there were late midnight red line consists that ran 4 cars too. Which was extremely rare because red runs 8 cars 24/7. I agree with you because something is uneven in most blue line consists. Some sets I’ve been seeing 6 2600s with sometimes only 2 3200s in the middle. Sometimes you may wind up seeing 6 3200s with 2 2600s in the middle more than likely I see them at the end of each others consists. It’ll be nice to have them run 4 cars again when the rush hour is down. Same thing with the brown line you’ll see 8-car 2600s and 8-car 3200s most of time you’ll see them unevenly mixed no matter what the pattern is. 

10 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

idk if you meaning this by 4 cars running in service after 10pm if that’s what u mean then it’s false the blue line still runs 8 cars 24/7 and recently they’ll be a 7000’s set running at like 2-3am……

That's insane but understandable.   I used to wonder why New York City ran long trains all night, but they are a busier city and transit agency.   While lack of staff and possibly COVID may be doctors here, it certainly makes riders more susceptible to crime.  So I guess all coupling abs uncomplicated is done in the yards.  Rgat would limit it to maintenance and transfers 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Since the 7000 order was cancelled the 2600s and 3200s won't be phased out quickly. It'll take time before the 9000s arrive in 2025 or someday in the late 2020s.

May I ask, Are you from Chicago? Do you have any source from Chicago that influences you to make such claims as this among others? Not to get off topic but can you please cite your sources before posting? Thank you.....

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

May I ask, Are you from Chicago? Do you have any source from Chicago that influences you to make such claims as this among others? Not to get off topic but can you please cite your sources before posting? Thank you.....

I do. I have a few articles about the 9000 series. I even found it on the CTA Website themselves announcing that the 7000s were cancelled.

https://www.transitchicago.com/duckworth-durbin-and-quigley-announce-200-million-for-cta-railcar-replacement/

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/cta-set-get-200-million-new-trains

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/transportation/ct-biz-cta-new-train-car-funding-20230505-xup5ixg5ovclnkmc32rg7etgle-story.html

I'm not from Chicago. I'm from New York City.

On the side note NYC is dealing with something similar to Chicago with the new subway orders since they were delayed because of the manufacturing issues.

10 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I do. I have a few articles about the 9000 series. I even found it on the CTA Website themselves announcing that the 7000s were cancelled.

https://www.transitchicago.com/duckworth-durbin-and-quigley-announce-200-million-for-cta-railcar-replacement/

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/cta-set-get-200-million-new-trains

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/transportation/ct-biz-cta-new-train-car-funding-20230505-xup5ixg5ovclnkmc32rg7etgle-story.html

I'm not from Chicago. I'm from New York City.

On the side note NYC is dealing with something similar to Chicago with the new subway orders since they were delayed because of the manufacturing issues.

Sorry. I had read all the articles. NONE OF THEM SAID THE 7000s WERE CANCELLED. (I did a Control-F for 7000 and got "Phrase not found.") They only said CTA got a grant for 300 replacement cars in a new 9000 series. CTA now roughly needs 650-700 replacement cars.

Either you have poor comprehension, or they didn't teach you how to read in Jersey. Probably both.

4 hours ago, Nitro said:

Since the 7000 order was cancelled the 2600s and 3200s won't be phased out quickly. It'll take time before the 9000s arrive in 2025 or someday in the late 2020s.

Where’d you hear this from? The 7000s are not canceled, they’re not doing the options after the BASE ORDER

On 6/13/2023 at 8:11 AM, artthouwill said:

That's insane but understandable.   I used to wonder why New York City ran long trains all night, but they are a busier city and transit agency.   While lack of staff and possibly COVID may be doctors here, it certainly makes riders more susceptible to crime.  So I guess all coupling abs uncomplicated is done in the yards.  Rgat would limit it to maintenance and transfers 

NYCTA does not seem to trust couplers to couple and uncouple. And for good reason. Saw cases where a cut was made and the air valves (remember NY has air brakes) did not close properly. So by 1990s all cutting and adding done in yards where RCIs are nearby if something refuses to function.

4 hours ago, andrethebusman99 said:

NYCTA does not seem to trust couplers to couple and uncouple. And for good reason. Saw cases where a cut was made and the air valves (remember NY has air brakes) did not close properly. So by 1990s all cutting and adding done in yards where RCIs are nearby if something refuses to function.

Another reason we don't need the New Yawker telling Chicago what to do. My understanding is that CTA rapid transit cars have been all electric from the first PCCs (5001-5004) and the newer ones can be coupled/uncoupled from the cabs.

I still don't know why CTA runs 6 car trains full-time on the Purple Line Shuttle, though.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2023 at 2:36 PM, Nitro said:

I do. 

Pure speculation is not a source. The articles only mention that Chicago received funding to start looking into the future 9000 series. Nowhere is it stated, or even implied, that the 7000s are being canceled. This is purely speculation on your part. Yes, this may raise questions about the options,  and seems to suggest we won't likely get 7000s past the base order, but saying the 7000s are canceled is something else entirely. 

According to RTA, the order of 7000s are still active

https://rtams.org/capital/50011

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Busjack said:

I still don't know why CTA runs 6 car trains full-time on the Purple Line Shuttle, though.

I love the six car trains in Evanston, because I board at Linden & need to get off at Howard & go downstairs for the bus & the last car of a six car train is near the only stairway going down.  So I don't have to walk a long way along the platform.

23 hours ago, Busjack said:

Another reason we don't need the New Yawker telling Chicago what to do. My understanding is that CTA rapid transit cars have been all electric from the first PCCs (5001-5004) and the newer ones can be coupled/uncoupled from the cabs.

I am just guessing that 6 car trains eliminates the person that moves the coupled/uncoupled cars to and from the storage tracks before and after the rush periods. I think Metra does the same.

11 minutes ago, sht6131 said:

I am just guessing that 6 car trains eliminates the person that moves the coupled/uncoupled cars to and from the storage tracks before and after the rush periods. I think Metra does the same.

Metra doesn't break consists, but not every   car on a diesel line is a cab car, and it would need more switchers.