2600-series - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

Not necessarily true, as the 5000s were tested on all lines before giving the go-ahead.

Right but it's like saying what's the excuse for Pink, Green, Yellow, and Purple Lines trumping Blue Line, especially Pink in which they all had relations with the 2600s (I rode them on the Green Line a few times).

Failure to rectify the Congress Branch fiasco is beyond stupid and I believe it's playing a huge factor in why no other rail vehicles yet to infiltrate the Blue Line. 

Yeah I heard it's 15 mph slow zones from Oak Park to Cicero. One of the supervisors was talking about changing locations next pick because they have to deal with all these late trains. They said they think CTA should just close the branch to repair it like the Ryan was fixed. They could probably do it, but they would have to wait for IDOT to get it's project online.

3200s would never be considered for the Blue.  I only said to make sure you knew DC's would only be considered.  Also, busjack doesn't read or respond to MY posts. 

I understood about the 3200s. As far as whatever it is between both of you, I have no comment about that.

Yeah I heard it's 15 mph slow zones from Oak Park to Cicero. One of the supervisors was talking about changing locations next pick because they have to deal with all these late trains. They said they think CTA should just close the branch to repair it like the Ryan was fixed. They could probably do it, but they would have to wait for IDOT to get it's project online.

The sad part about it is it's been like that since the new signals were installed around 2008-09. I fricking hate it because it cause me to miss my buses, especially late nights for #317 when I used to live in Bellwood.

As far as "inexplicable crash at Harlem in Forest Park."  did you see the four cars from that incident in copter video about 61st St in the TV news about the Green derailment.  Work motors are doing work at 61st now, and making a move.  Lower yard needs cars for return trips after bringing 5000s from Skokie tomorrow.  So your "inexplicable crash at Harlem" cars ...their days are numbered.

Very well! I didn't see them on the news. I was at work when I found out about the derailment. I saw some pictures on the Tribune and it look like some passengers were either inside the lower yard or outside by the gated entrance.

Failure to rectify the Congress Branch fiasco is beyond stupid and I believe it's playing a huge factor in why no other rail vehicles yet to infiltrate the Blue Line. 

Once on top of the recent accidents, again another failure on the part of CTA to properly maintain that line to where it should be. Some of the stations along the OHare branch are falling apart, rusting, In dire need of attention. CTA really needs to get to work and update that portion. Im forced to ride the line and not because I want to! 

I dont have Metra as an option at the time I get off work. The Blue gets me home by the time the next Metra train leaves
Ogilvie. Some of the cars on the Blue are very dirty, smelly. I bring disinfectant wipes along with me because as with everyone else, I hate when I board a car that stinks. But I cant help to think with the age of the cars, if and when there could be another accident. 

Once on top of the recent accidents, again another failure on the part of CTA to properly maintain that line to where it should be. Some of the stations along the OHare branch are falling apart, rusting, In dire need of attention. CTA really needs to get to work and update that portion. Im forced to ride the line and not because I want to!

There was the announced half billion 4 year patchwork job for the O'Hare branch, but the geniuses behind that are now off to fix the schools.

There was the announced half billion 4 year patchwork job for the O'Hare branch, but the geniuses behind that are now off to fix the schools.

Yeah, they forgot to mention that year 3 everyone takes the year off!! :P Addison/Blue should start getting fixed in the fall, maybe they are worried about the Cubs games. No need to worry about playoffs!! They probably should have started it after the summer pick. Some days Addison is unusually quiet. 

Yeah, they forgot to mention that year 3 everyone takes the year off!! :P Addison/Blue should start getting fixed in the fall, maybe they are worried about the Cubs games. No need to worry about playoffs!! They probably should have started it after the summer pick. Some days Addison is unusually quiet. 

The Jefferson Park and Harlem ave stations where I get off both look in bad shape! They needs a serious updating! Also Cumberland, the station and bus terminal are in need of major attention!

The Jefferson Park and Harlem ave stations where I get off both look in bad shape! They needs a serious updating! Also Cumberland, the station and bus terminal are in need of major attention!

I know what you mean. They're not the newest stations, but they're not the oldest either. Still, a little tidying up always helps.

Harlem's better than it used to be. They had some serious plumbing leaks, one of which leaked by the platform doors to the escalator to the mezzanine, and in the winter you would have ice mounds on the platform. One day I swear it was a foot tall. They fixed that though a year or two ago, you can see the new pipes. What really looks bad is that metal plate on the bus bridge. That looks like crap!! If they had that on a regular street, people would be really complaining to IDOT. That's been like that for almost 4-5 years at least. They have put some some new signs in the mezzanine in the last year or two, the blue enter here for blue line signs and a few others, so it's like little improvements here and there. 

I've noticed some buckling of platforms at the joints in the Jeff Pk era stations. I think Addison has a piece now like that and I've seen it at irving Pk. Don't know the cause, but they put these metal strips at the joint where ones been fixed. It's like band aids, they really need to go over the platforms, but I don't believe that's part of the slated reconstruction.

I've noticed some buckling of platforms at the joints in the Jeff Pk era stations. I think Addison has a piece now like that and I've seen it at irving Pk. Don't know the cause, but they put these metal strips at the joint where ones been fixed. It's like band aids, they really need to go over the platforms, but I don't believe that's part of the slated reconstruction.

There was the Dan Ryan project (not the most recent one) to replace the platforms. These are obviously of the same age.

Why does this not surprise me???  Typical for CTA!   Thank god I have Metra to and from work today! :) 

Harlem's better than it used to be. They had some serious plumbing leaks, one of which leaked by the platform doors to the escalator to the mezzanine, and in the winter you would have ice mounds on the platform. One day I swear it was a foot tall. They fixed that though a year or two ago, you can see the new pipes. What really looks bad is that metal plate on the bus bridge. That looks like crap!! If they had that on a regular street, people would be really complaining to IDOT. That's been like that for almost 4-5 years at least. They have put some some new signs in the mezzanine in the last year or two, the blue enter here for blue line signs and a few others, so it's like little improvements here and there. 

The stations look in a near decrepit state! Jeff Pk and Cumberland are in the worst shape with all the rust streaks from one end to the other as well as the dirty platform areas. Look at the other lines and compare! This is just pathetic on CTAs part. It looks as if the line is frozen in time or just plain neglected! 

I know what you mean. They're not the newest stations, but they're not the oldest either. Still, a little tidying up always helps.

The smell of urine or feces in some areas! Ewww!!!

Edited by Guest

The stations look in a near decrepit state! Jeff Pk and Cumberland are in the worst shape with all the rust streaks from one end to the other as well as the dirty platform areas. Look at the other lines and compare! This is just pathetic on CTAs part. It looks as if the line is frozen in time or just plain neglected! 

They do repaint Cumberland here and there, that will take care of the rust. They need to do a little makeover here and there to get the station up to current standards like replacing the CA booth, putting up more current signs and they need to get Titan signs in there that will tell you when the bus is coming. They got that at alot of red line stops, but I don't think the blue line has any except at Grand/Halsted at the top of the stair. That Titan signs tell you when the bus is coming.

CTA was alluding, they plan to put in these types of signs and put in doors at the curtain wall, I believe that's the open area where you stand and wait for the bus at the jeff pk era stations, like a harlem mezzanine setup. I would put in a bank of overhead heaters too. This way you can wait for the bus indoors be warm and know when it's coming. This should be a no brainer at the stops with bus terminals. Then the service would get nicer even with the older cars.

Oh I have!!! At JeffPk  Smelled to high heaven!!! 

Why does this not surprise me???  Typical for CTA!   Thank god I have Metra to and from work today! :) 

Oh man. Chicago, Division and maybe Grand are in the worst conditions to me. They look worse than Harrison before it got rehabbed and it still needs work.