Sneaky Bus Hour Cuts in Winter Pick

BusHunter

I didn't really notice this but the cta cut more service at the beginning of this latest pick. Alot of fg cuts to the #81w, #86, #205, #206, mostly being half hour morning and evening cuts. The #35 got the biggest cut with a 50 minute cut in the pm's and I believe on the weekend too. If anyone wants to review what was cut CTA has it listed on their website under the rider alerts.

I didn't really notice this but the cta cut more service at the beginning of this latest pick. Alot of fg cuts to the #81w, #86, #205, #206, mostly being half hour morning and evening cuts. The #35 got the biggest cut with a 50 minute cut in the pm's and I believe on the weekend too. If anyone wants to review what was cut CTA has it listed on their website under the rider alerts.

The trick to finding these under the table cuts ahead of time is looking in the upcoming alerts waaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom of all the other alearts. a sneaky tactic to.save their asses from being called out on renegging on the promise of supposedly not having to cut service or raise fares till 2015. (realizing they bit off more than they can chew with that promise when the Union wouldn't buckle as easily they resort to --->} hiding the cuts at the bottom of the alert page where most people likely wont bother to look with some excuse (decrowding, match demand.etc) and chop service bit by bit instead of all at once so they wont get caught in their BS they're pulling over our heads until the pick happens. Same things been happening for the last few picks (FG always gets hit the hardest with these sneaky cuts especially its outlying routes). Claypool's.way of covering up what he couldn't deliver rather than facing the issues like a man and coming clean and actually working with the riders on what we need. At least that's how I interpret it but I could be wrong :lol:

• Upvote 1

The trick to finding these under the table cuts ahead of time is looking in the upcoming alerts waaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom of all the other alearts. a sneaky tactic ...

They weren't quite that sneaky; there was near the top of the Bus Alerts

New Schedules in Effect

Special Note

Beginning Sunday, December 22, updated schedules will go into effect for several bus routes.

The question is whether anyone could see or distinguish the + and * notes, and then figure out what they meant by comparing the old and new schedules.

Admittedly, the per route ones are lower down the page, but there are only 3 temporary reroutes between the system notice and the "Revised Service Hours" ones. Still seems like they posted most of them as revised service hours vs. changed frequency, though. [On rereading BusHunter's post, I might have misunderstood it the first time around, in that the 55 minute reference appears to be to service hours, not interval.]

But, other than Claypool's word not being good, which we know, if there isn't the demand, and there probably isn't on the far NW side, no sense running the buses.

post-14-0-99517200-1388590969_thumb.jpg

It should be noted that the revised hours on the 35 only applies to weekend/holiday service. But yes CTA has been sneaky in a lot of these cuts, not just in the winter but pretty much throughout 2013, either as further decrowd plan cuts or the neutral sounding "matching rider demand and patterns" as Sam noted. It's gotten to the point now that every time an official pick changes, I'm asking myself what was next to see a cut because it has happened every pick. They did at least post notices about last year's spring pick cuts, but those were put up so close to the beginning of the pick that those could be classified as sneaky too despite their being a little more open than the cuts from the other picks.

• Upvote 2

It should be noted that the revised hours on the 35 only applies to weekend/holiday service. But yes CTA has been sneaky in a lot of these cuts, not just in the winter but pretty much throughout 2013, either as further decrowd plan cuts or the neutral sounding "matching rider demand and patterns" as Sam noted. It's gotten to the point now that every time an official pick changes, I'm asking myself what was next to see a cut because it has happened every pick. They did at least post notices about last year's spring pick cuts, but those were put up so close to the beginning of the pick that those could be classified as sneaky too despite their being a little more open than the cuts from the other picks.

Agreed, but IIRC, in regards to the 35, it also affected the weekfa schedul. I remember the last bus being about an hour later in each direction.

Agreed, but IIRC, in regards to the 35, it also affected the weekfa schedul. I remember the last bus being about an hour later in each direction.

You are correct. I skimmed the revised hours notice a bit too quickly there. I now see they mentioned weekdays and Sundays/holidays together with Saturdays mentioned separately.

• 4 weeks later...

The #6's run alot better when they short turn some at 63rd. (not that that's going to help the south shore) They always seem to get these crazy gaps in the rush, and when they short turn it's like they have too many buses, service is really frequent like a #79 or #77. I notice that with the Blue line short turns at Morgan middle. That concept makes your service alot more attractive to the masses, but leaves the minority rider on the end of the line holding the short stick.

• Upvote 1

The #6's run alot better when they short turn some at 63rd. (not that that's going to help the south shore) They always seem to get these crazy gaps in the rush, and when they short turn it's like they have too many buses, service is really frequent like a #79 or #77. I notice that with the Blue line short turns at Morgan middle. That concept makes your service alot more attractive to the masses, but leaves the minority rider on the end of the line holding the short stick.

Which proves that the short turning being better is a matter of perspective and point of view.