"Zoo Bus" may be making a comeback...

jesi2282

If rumors are true, Pace will be reinstating the old #333 Brookfield "Zoo Bus" this May, no word yet on the routing or days of operation...

Heck, I thought you were referring to the Lephant bus.

Would it be something like what is described in Chicago Transit and Railfan, i.e. Forest Park to Brookfield? Otherwise the zoo is served by 331, but that doesn't go near Forest Park. 304 isn't that direct, either.

If I had to guess, I can see running 1 or 2 ways, the 1st way would run from Harlem/Lake, Forest Park to the Zoo. The 2nd way would be Harlem/Lake, Forest Park to Brookfield Metra via the Zoo. Either way the route will come in handy on Sundays...

• 3 weeks later...

Route numbers are 770, 771, and 772. I can give you verifiable proof via my app, but apparently not through my phone. The GTFS data was updated with the last pick.

/or you can check on your own devices

/edit: see below. Lol

Not on the Pace Route Finder yet, either entering Community/Brookfield or searches for that number.

However, not surprising if not effective until May 25.

Came across this: http://www.rideschedules.com/index.html

They are listed as routes #770 and #771, and operate every 60 minutes on weekends from around 9a to 6p.

While obviously based on gtfs data, I've noted some strange things on other routes, such as that only major stops, and, on 422, separate schedules for NS and NW (which may have its use).

Relevant here is that it isn't clear whether these will run express from the L stations. Probably will, but not definitely established.

• 3 weeks later...

Metro Shadow saying there would be a 772 was correct, but I don't see the point of having a bus from 95/Dan Ryan.

Also, only weekend (Sat for 772), so weekdays people will still have to take 304 or 331.

This seemed pretty buried on the website, as it appears only to be a link on the ESPD page.

Wow that's surprising a bus from 95th? They should let that bus stop at Midway on it's way over.

That would've made more sense because it can travel from Midway to the zoo via Archer and Highway 171 (1st Avenue).

I don't think whatever passengers they do get from 95th on the 772 would much appreciate the extra time added to the 45 minutes minimum the schedule says the trip between 95th/Red Line station and Brookfield Zoo by doing that. :rolleyes:

LOL!! No respect out here at Midway!!

The real question is what consumer research Pace used to come up with these routes. The 3 west side terminals seem pretty obvious, but, as I indicated earlier, I don't see the justification for the 95th bus, and don't see it for a Midway one, either. I don't see how awful it is for someone who wants to go to the zoo on Saturday and has to use public transportation to transfer to the Pink or Blue Line.

The 95th trips assume that someone is going to spend half a day. Either you leave at 1 or 6 (or 6:30).

Southwest likely (772) but 770 and 771 will interline together. I'll verify.

Apparently so, as the 770 schedule indicates that it leaves Zoo 2 minutes before it arrives. On the other hand 771 arrives when 770 leaves.

Doesn't appear that either schedule allows for much loading time at the Zoo.

So where's the zoo terminal for the buses at the south gate? I thought I remember long time ago as a child in the early 80's there was an empty lot just outside the south gate that served as a terminal complete with a loop turn around, although it might not have been a full loop like Diversey/Neva (half a loop) but turning in the opposite direction long since gone.

So where's the zoo terminal for the buses at the south gate?...

Schedule says: At Brookfield Zoo, the bus stop is located on the northeast corner of Ridgewood/Golf near the south entrance to the Zoo.