Random Metra

garmon757

On 7/14/2023 at 7:32 AM, artthouwill said:

What are you smelling?    Brakes?  Uncleanness lavatories?  

Sometimes the entire car smells sour or the lavatories are smelly. But most of the time, the cars smell good. Phase II Pullman and unrehabbed Budds always smell gross. In my opinion, the rehabbed 6000s/8500s are the best smelling cars in the Metra fleet right now.

Found this document posted on reddit earlier today, not sure how recently it was produced, but a lot of exciting news is contained inside. 

Highlights include establishing a sort of separate inner suburban and outer suburban service. From what I can tell, the outer suburban service will be relatively similar to Metra's current offerings, but running express through much of the inner suburban areas. However, the inner suburban service is where things really get interesting (at least for me)

First of all, the inner suburban service will aim at running trains at least every 20 minutes from approx 6am to 10pm. It will have new lighter train cars, likely to be something similar to a Stadler FLIRT. And yes, that means that metra is planning on running something other than an EMD! What a surprise. 

These are at the moment recommendations rather than a solid plan, but it seems like quite  a solid goal. They state "$250M/year over ~10 years to implement systemwide" so rough timeline if metra is able to get their stuff together?

So yeah, it seems that exciting things are ahead for Metra. If anyone can find when this document was released, or if there are any related press releases that I missed, please tell me.  

814549291_DraftPARTrecommendations-Regionalrail.pdf

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jstange059 said:

Found this document posted on reddit earlier today, not sure how recently it was produced, but a lot of exciting news is contained inside. 

So yeah, it seems that exciting things are ahead for Metra. If anyone can find when this document was released, or if there are any related press releases that I missed, please tell me.  

814549291_DraftPARTrecommendations-Regionalrail.pdf 6.18 MB · 7 downloads

Considering everything is marked "DRAFT--FOR DELIBERATION" Metra hasn't committed to anything. Have you seen the STAR Line enter service?

Maybe you should ask on reddit or search the CMAP site.

4 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

These are all ideas about how to change the transit system post-pandemic and are on the CMAP website:

https://www.cmap.illinois.gov/programs/regional-transit-action

Any further discussion of this should be in the CMAP PART topic, as it is not just a Metra thing.

1 minute ago, Jackson Blue Line said:

Metra UP-NW line is a mess right now. Almost every inbound train is delayed by at least 10 minutes due to "track construction". Now, even the L seems to be more reliable. Does anyone know when these delays will finally end?

10 minutes due to track construction is nothing. If the Milw-N is any example, the answer is never. When I rode it, inbound trains were always 10 minutes late.

41 minutes ago, Busjack said:

10 minutes due to track construction is nothing. If the Milw-N is any example, the answer is never. When I rode it, inbound trains were always 10 minutes late.

I concur.  I never make n on time connection between the inbound UPN and outbound UPW.  I don't even try anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 10:30 PM, Jstange059 said:

Highlights include establishing a sort of separate inner suburban and outer suburban service. From what I can tell, the outer suburban service will be relatively similar to Metra's current offerings, but running express through much of the inner suburban areas. However, the inner suburban service is where things really get interesting (at least for me)

First of all, the inner suburban service will aim at running trains at least every 20 minutes from approx 6am to 10pm. It will have new lighter train cars, likely to be something similar to a Stadler FLIRT. And yes, that means that metra is planning on running something other than an EMD! What a surprise. 

These are at the moment recommendations rather than a solid plan, but it seems like quite  a solid goal. They state "$250M/year over ~10 years to implement systemwide" so rough timeline if metra is able to get their stuff together?

814549291_DraftPARTrecommendations-Regionalrail.pdf 6.18 MB · 48 downloads

Could you share the Reddit post?

32 minutes ago, EdwardL803 said:

Why is there a shelter near Kedzie & Keeler on the UP-W line? Do trains actually stop there?

Google Streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8877438,-87.7308258,3a,75y,58.38h,81.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szQfbMQQA2X740Ol_gZ2L0w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Earlier dates on Google Maps show corrugated metal structures with a UP notice on it saying "No Passenger Service Here, Employee Stop Only". Looks like they replaced the shelters between Aug 2018 and Jul 2019. It serves the UP loco shop on the north side of the tracks. UP-W trains stop as required.

2 hours ago, EdwardL803 said:

Why is there a shelter near Kedzie & Keeler on the UP-W line? Do trains actually stop there?

Google Streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8877438,-87.7308258,3a,75y,58.38h,81.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szQfbMQQA2X740Ol_gZ2L0w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Believe it or not,  Kedzie is actually a stop and trains do stop there   I've never seen anyone board or alight there, but trains are stopping there 

As for Keeler trains stop there to drop off crews or pick up crews from the yard where UP - W trains are stored midday.  KEELER IS NOT A PASSENGER STOP  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Believe it or not,  Kedzie is actually a stop and trains do stop there   I've never seen anyone board or alight there, but trains are stopping there 

As for Keeler trains stop there to drop off crews or pick up crews from the yard where UP - W trains are stored midday.  KEELER IS NOT A PASSENGER STOP  

Actually, all UP Metra locomotives are stored there & repaired at the 40th Street Engine Yard.  The coaches are stored & repaired at the Western Ave. Coach Yard, which adjoins the former Milwaukee Road Western Ave. Coach Yard.  And between both yards, the city rents the empty space for an auto pound with an entrance on Sacramento.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cplanner13 said:

Where was the location of Metra's former Western Avenue stop on the Norfolk & Western railroad (today's SWS line)? I believe the agency closed it in 1984. Are there any signs that a commuter stop used to exist there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metra_stations#Former_stations

It was located on the south side of the tracks, south of 75th St and west of Western where the SWS tracks bend away from NS 75th St corridor. I doubt anything is left but the tracks does spread out where a platform may have been on Google Maps. The station closed 5/15/1984.

There were also stations along the 75th St corridor at Ashland, Racine and Halsted which closed 6/27/1979.

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

It was located on the south side of the tracks, south of 75th St and west of Western where the SWS tracks bend away from NS 75th St corridor. I doubt anything is left but the tracks does spread out where a platform may have been on Google Maps. The station closed 5/15/1984.

There were also stations along the 75th St corridor at Ashland, Racine and Halsted which closed 6/27/1979.

Don't forget the 63rd and Wallace station on the south side of 63rd.  The platform was visible from the  L tracks.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, krzysiu221322 said:

What were some Chicagoland railroads that once provided suburban commuter services that didn't continue/survive as Metra lines?

The Pennsy once ran a daily train to & from Valparaiso Indiana, but since that went into Indiana, Metra wouldn't cover it.

I don't remember when it ended, but its nickname was The Dummy Train as almost every passenger had a monthly ticket & the conductors never had to punch any one way tickets.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2023 at 8:55 AM, krzysiu221322 said:

What were some Chicagoland railroads that once provided suburban commuter services that didn't continue/survive as Metra lines?

ATSF: Chicago to Joliet - discontinued in 1903

Chicago & Eastern Illinois: Chicago to Crete and Momence - withdrawn 1935

Chicago & Western Indiana: Chicago to Dolton - withdrawn 8/28/1964

Chicago Great Western: Chicago to DeKalb - withdrawn 1956

Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad: Chicago to Chicago Heights - withdrawn 1915

Chicago & Erie: Chicago to Rochester, IN - withdrawn 1930s

Grand Trunk Western: Chicago to Harvey & Valparaiso - withdrawn 4/22/1935

Illinois Central (West Line); Chicago to Addison - withdrawn summer 1931

Michigan Central: Joliet, IL to Lake Station, IN - withdrawn 1925

New York Central: Chicago to Chesterton, IN - withdrawn 3/31/1964

Pennsylvania: Chicago to East Chicago - withdrawn 1919

Pennsylvania/ Amtrak: Chicago to Valparaiso - to Amtrak 4/1/1976, withdrawn 5/3/1991

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...