Random Metra

garmon757

1 hour ago, Railguy said:

Lionel model trains makes kids starter train sets which run om batteries maybe they can start there

• Reminds me of when someone painted "LIONEL" on a railroad overpass in Irondequoit, NY.
  • I'm not sure AA batteries can be scaled up.

??

11 hours ago, Nitro said:

Sometime in the 21st century

I gave you an answer to that, too, I said:

"Or look up battery locos and trainsets."

If you are so dense that you are asking if the freight railroads (which own the tracks other than the RID (which indications are is getting the trainsets) and Milw) are going to put up catenary, as people I know from NY put it, "fuggedabout it."

BTW, you didn't answer if you are a bot.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I gave you an answer to that, too, I said:

"Or look up battery locos and trainsets."

If you are so dense that you are asking if the freight railroads (which own the tracks other than the RID (which indications are is getting the trainsets) and Milw) are going to put up catenary, as people I know from NY put it, "fuggedabout it."

BTW, you didn't answer if you are a bot.

12 hours ago, Nitro said:

Sometime in the 21st century

I'm convinced he's trolling for attention at this point. All in favor of acting like this guy doesn't exist and hoping he moves around? ?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I'm convinced he's trolling for attention at this point. All in favor of acting like this guy doesn't exist and hoping he moves around? ?

Agreed,  especially when he was silent concerning an actual proposal in New York that I said maybe he could help solve , or at least answer questions about.  And he's supposedly from New York. 

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Agreed,  especially when he was silent concerning an actual proposal in New York that I said maybe he could help solve , or at least answer questions about.  And he's supposedly from New York. 

10 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I was saying that to annoy you guys and there's some truth behind it. After all the federal government are mandating that the railroads to use cleaner technologies and one of the ways for that to happen is to push for electrification. Then you have the UN Agenda 2030. Don't believe me look it up. There's an article that opposes electrification from the Association of American Railroads which you can all read right now. https://www.aar.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/AAR-Electrification-Fact-Sheet.pdf

All this sounds great yet private sector is in bed with those in power and will  get out of environmental mandates.  Yeah it will take lots of $$ in political contributions yet the RR will get out of mandates by throwing money at the issue.  Esp true if R's hold house and take WH and senate.  Game's over.  And they will follow a UN agenda?   Really?   Lets just get out of the UN problem solved .  Sad truth yet this talk fuels some to do everything in their power to destroy this world.  I agree we need to change this course yet the battle is huge to fight.

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

I was saying that to annoy you guys

...and you see what the result is. If you wanted a serious discussion, you could have posted something intelligent and interacted with the membership. But since you haven't for the past 3 weeks, I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do.

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

There's an article that opposes electrification from the Association of American Railroads which you can all read right now. https://www.aar.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/AAR-Electrification-Fact-Sheet.pdf

I said before "if you expect the freight railroads over Metra runs to install catenary..." You kept trolling us about that when you had access to an article saying "Electrification of the freight rail network would not be cost effective. Electrification of our nation’s freight rail network would require building and maintaining a high-voltage catenary system that spans close to 140,000 miles and is rugged and reliable enough for rail operations." Later on: "However, research is now ongoing on a variety of alternatives to traditional diesel fuel — such as biofuels, hydrogen, and zero-emission battery cells — that could further lower railroads’ carbon footprint.
For example, battery-electric locomotives are now an area of active research. BNSF Railway is partnering with Wabtec...Progress Rail and the Pacific Harbor Line are also planning a demonstration project operating Progress Rail’s new EMD Joule battery electric “switcher” locomotive" I said what Metra planned, and so the assumption underlying your question "when is Metra beginning electrification" was FALSE and my answer about battery power was responsive and correct. Apparently, Metra is cooperating with the Progress Rail effort and said it was buying a battery switcher. When you ask something as off base as "Could the NICTD convert their voltage to 12-12.5 Kv like the New Haven Line or the Northeast Corridor?" for HSR, and then this, you just give a certain impression. And, apparently that was your intent.

For anyone who reads such things, here is the literature on the EMD Joule.

I think those of us who actually follow Chicago Transit Forum are already aware of this story that Metra has a contract with Progress Rail to repower up to 6 locomotive chassis to test the EMD Joule.

• 2 months later...

This comment is regarding the former Skokie and Weber subdivisions on the C&NW railroad.

• https://www.chicagorailfan.com/abancnws.html
  • https://www.chicagorailfan.com/mscnwy.html
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Northwest_Line#Stations

If the rails weren't abandoned and passenger service didn't cease in 1958, how do you think they would've fit in the overall transit network of the Chicagoland area. Do you think they would've been absorbed by Metra? If so, how do you think the subdivisions would've been operated?

10 minutes ago, EdwardL803 said:

This comment is regarding the former Skokie and Weber subdivisions on the C&NW railroad.

If the rails weren't abandoned and passenger service didn't cease in 1958, how do you think they would've fit in the overall transit network of the Chicagoland area. Do you think they would've been absorbed by Metra? If so, how do you think the subdivisions would've been operated?

First let me say there are others in this forum like @Busjack,  @strictureswho can offer better insight than m.  I believe this has somewhat been covered before.   My guess is that CNW would have abandoned it anyway  and we still would have what we have today.   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, EdwardL803 said:

I discussed this with @strictures, I don't think they would have survived in any event. Only thing that seems to have any potential is from Mayfair to around the Yellow Line at Oakton station as a CTA service connecting to Jeff Park.

What's left of the Mayfair ROW and abutments is considered a blight on Evanston's 5th Ward, which pretty much was Evanston's ghetto.  Rest of it is occupied by Home Depot and Main Marketplace.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

First let me say there are others in this forum like @Busjack,  @strictureswho can offer better insight than m.  I believe this has somewhat been covered before.   My guess is that CNW would have abandoned it anyway  and we still would have what we have today.   

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I discussed this with @strictures, I don't think they would have survived in any event. Only thing that seems to have any potential is from Mayfair to around the Yellow Line at Oakton station as a CTA service connecting to Jeff Park.

What's left of the Mayfair ROW and abutments is considered a blight on Evanston's 5th Ward, which pretty much was Evanston's ghetto.  Rest of it is occupied by Home Depot and Main Marketplace.

Thanks @artthouwill and @Busjack for the responses. Does a link exist for the discussion you had with @strictures on the topic? I'd love to see what else what else was said.

1 hour ago, EdwardL803 said:

Thanks @artthouwill and @Busjack for the responses. Does a link exist for the discussion you had with @strictures on the topic? I'd love to see what else what else was said.

It starts about here, although you could have searched for Mayfair.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, cplanner13 said:

For those portions of Metra's lines that are elevated in Chicago, what are the railroad embankments made out of? Is it landfill?

What do you mean by landfill? If you mean garbage, it would not have lasted for like 125 years.

I don't know how you expect anyone here to know, but you could (1) go out to the RPM and analyze what they are excavating away from under the new structure or (2) look up construction notes on the new elevated sections of the NICTD West Lake Corridor in downtown Hammond.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, cplanner13 said:

I mean excavated land. Sort of like how some of the city's lakefront was created.

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/3713.html

As what you cited said, Grant Park was filled with debris from the Chicago Fire. The South Works was slag. So, it's neither of those. So I guess it is what you thought.

• 1 month later...

I have an infrastructural transit finance question. It's specifically regarding the at-grade portions of Metra's UP-NW Line in Chicago (between Foster and Ozanam Avenues).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1quZeHR_46dbs_6QG-YHrLQlNIofj5Zo&usp=sharing 

Chicago's City Council passed legislation in 1929 requiring the railroad (which was then C&NW) to elevate the tracks by 1933. The deadline was then extended to 1939. These efforts were never completed. Here are a few links on the topic.

What would it cost to undertake such a project today? How much money would need to be spent to elevate this portion of the UP-NW Line within Chicago?

1 hour ago, EdwardL803 said:

I have an infrastructural transit finance question. It's specifically regarding the at-grade portions of Metra's UP-NW Line in Chicago (between Foster and Ozanam Avenues).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1quZeHR_46dbs_6QG-YHrLQlNIofj5Zo&usp=sharing 

Chicago's City Council passed legislation in 1929 requiring the railroad (which was then C&NW) to elevate the tracks by 1933. The deadline was then extended to 1939. These efforts were never completed. Here are a few links on the topic.

What would it cost to undertake such a project today? How much money would need to be spent to elevate this portion of the UP-NW Line within Chicago?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a cost of $1 billion or more. This requires rebuild of three stations and any project would likely extend further into the suburbs. Keep in mind that modern transit project budgets have significant consulting and engineering costs beyond the actual construction value.

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a cost of $1 billion or more. This requires rebuild of three stations and any project would likely extend further into the suburbs. Keep in mind that modern transit project budgets have significant consulting and engineering costs beyond the actual construction value.

Maybe by comparison, Metra says rebuilding the UPN from Fullerton to Addison would be about $337 M. That's about 1-1/2 miles. The bridges have to be replaced, but the embankment is already there. The necessary studies are described.