Random Metra

garmon757

1 hour ago, Elkmn said:

They should grade seperate the Up-n between evanston and winnetka

Kenilworth would never allow it, and I don't think Wilmette would tolerate the disruption. Also, I don't see how they would get bidrectional service thru the construction zone. Does your extensive civil engineering experience yield any practical answers?

12 hours ago, Elkmn said:

They should grade seperate the Up-n between evanston and winnetka

That didn't happen in the 1930s, because Wilmette was too poor during the great Depression to pay of any of it.  That's why Winnetka is grade separated & Wilmette & Kenilworth aren't.  The grade separation was a project of Winnetka village president Harold Ickes, who went on to work for FDR in the white house.  The story of the grade separation is on the wall in the station houses at Winnetka & Hubbard Woods.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, strictures said:

When the storm passed over me in Rogers Park, there weren't any high winds, just heavy rain that started at 10:02 PM ... But as usual, Metra went into panic mode & shut down their trains, with the usual high winds are the cause....

At about that time, WGN TV was reporting a tornado at O'Hare, showed swirling rain on the Rosemont Weather Bug camera, and had Rogers Park in the path of the tornado in about 10 minutes. A couple of minutes later, they said it was headed toward Wrigleyville. Today, they reported extensive tree damage in Harwood Heights.

But you, in your infinite wisdom, besides posting in the wrong topic consistently, were, in hindsight, willing to risk a derailment because the US Weather Service slightly moved the storm track. Even with the revised storm track, it would have crossed  the UP-N somewhere around Irving Park Rd. There was another warning around Highland Park.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

At about that time, WGN TV was reporting a tornado at O'Hare, showed swirling rain on the Rosemont Weather Bug camera, and had Rogers Park in the path of the tornado in about 10 minutes. A couple of minutes later, they said it was headed toward Wrigleyville. Today, they reported extensive tree damage in Harwood Heights.

But you, in your infinite wisdom, besides posting in the wrong topic consistently, were, in hindsight, willing to risk a derailment because the US Weather Service slightly moved the storm track. Even with the revised storm track, it would have crossed  the UP-N somewhere around Irving Park Rd. There was another warning around Highland Park.

Oh please, the bilevel cars are far too heavy to get derailed by even a tornado! And Rogers Park was never in the path of any tornado last night!  And it wasn't in the wrong topic!!!

2 hours ago, strictures said:

Oh please, the bilevel cars are far too heavy to get derailed by even a tornado! And Rogers Park was never in the path of any tornado last night!  And it wasn't in the wrong topic!!!

• The higher it is, thev easier it topples. This morning, there were shots of overturned semis on and next to I-55 south of Joliet. There weren't any overturned cars. Similarly, there was a high truck warning on I-65. Heck, trains can be stopped by trees on the tracks.
  • You obviously had your TV off last night, and your cell phone too, or was watching the RNC on NewsMax or something, but not a local station. Living "at the apex of regional cooperation," not only did I see what I saw on TV, I got phone, text an e-mail alerts from the municipality on the same route apparently you don't ride (or at least don't use the new station in your neighborhood, which you said nobody will use).
  • You posted something only about Metra under Random CTA. Unification hasn't happened yet.
48 minutes ago, Railguy said:

Who does actual dispatching on UP lines is it Metra or UP?

UP. Way back, @trainman8119 said that the freight railroads do the dispatching, even on tracks owned by Metra. However, I don't know who made the decision to halt the train.

20 hours ago, Railguy said:

Who does actual dispatching on UP lines is it Metra or UP?

20 hours ago, Busjack said:

Way back, @trainman8119 said that the freight railroads do the dispatching, even on tracks owned by Metra. However, I don't know who made the decision to halt the train.

Bringing that up to date, the announcement of the DNC service says "Metra would like to thank two freight railroad partners ... Canadian National, which owns some of the tracks over which the NCS operates, and CPKC, which dispatches trains on another portion of the route." CPKC dispatches the Milw-W line, even though Merra owns it. Like CN, UP owns its tracks. Similarly  Ask [Metra] Anything says"Do we dispatch the trains? (Again, on most lines, we don’t, even on two lines we own.)"