New Flyer DELF40 Picture

sw4400

I don't think that the propulsion system has anything to do with the design, except for the need to have a place for the batteries or CNG tank. New Flyer has hybrids of all types, including the DE60LF, which is old style. The pictures of models, by themselves, don't mean anything; they are also on New Flyer's Urban Transit Buses page.

What might be a bad assumption, of which I am sometimes guilty, is that a new design supersedes an old one. Thus, I didn't understand why Pace was still getting Orion Is when Orion Vs were available, and I guess the same is true with regard to CTA getting New Flyers with a design that may be as much as 15 years old.

Oh, that.

New Flyer is offering the restyled front end on all it's 40' low floors, regardless of fuel type. It's optional, and CTA chose the boxier (and probably less expensive) front module. I'm guessing the DE40LF can still be had in the old style. There's also a third design, the Advanced Design BRT, that at first glance looks like yet another different front on the "classic" D40LF body.

Oh so it's those buses. I was thinking it was the buses that had "clean machine" at the top of their CNG Tank :D .  I agree with RIPTA42 on this one, i also think that CTA would go for the "boxier" style, if optional. I seem to like the BRT models better though.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, that.

New Flyer is offering the restyled front end on all it's 40' low floors, regardless of fuel type.

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but I thought I'd point out that New Flyer is offering the restyled front end on all of its low floors (except the Invero), regardless of length.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That redesigned bus we all thought was a DLF is actually a DELF.  We may see this design on the CTA DELF's when they start coming in later this year.

https://www.newflyer.com/index/hybrid_buses_intro

All New Flyer LF models are being redesigned. DLFs, DELFs, CLFs, LLFs GELFs, HELFs. You name it. WMATA of Washington DC has a order of 117 D40LFs with Cummins ISM and they are the restyled D40LFs. As well as a couple orders of DE40LFs. Both original and restyled designs. And Pheonix has restyled C40LFs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't like the front door design on the new style buses. It's ugly, and is actually shaped like the flimsy, crappy, junk front doors on cta's TMC buses. The original front door design for the 40LFR series apparently had problems with "pinch points" where someone could get seriously hurt if they were dumb enough to put their hand or fingers where some bar was on the door.

The new design was an afterthought retrofit because New Flyer screwed up by having the windshield curve back over the door frame (preventing the use of the more standard type of door).

Nevertheless, I saw a D40LFR for Mississauga Transit on the Dan Ryan this afternoon, while riding north on the Red Line. A few minutes later I happened to see a New Flyer Invero en route to OC Transpo.