State/Lake reconstruction

Tcmetro

CDOT is requesting that CMAQ funds programmed for State/Lake reconstruction engineering be moved from 2017 to 2015. Presumably, CDOT is expecting to get to work shortly after Washington/Wabash is opened.

See page 66: http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/374998/CMAQ_Full_Packet_02-19-2015+%28draft%29.pdf/2d8abd84-17d4-4b34-a13a-95f6f45bac6a

I believe that was the year the funds were originally programmed for.

Note that these are just engineering funds, there's no money programmed to actually carry out construction. Generally, engineering takes about two years. I wouldn't expect any shovels to be in the ground until 2018 at the earliest, and that's if CDOT can manage to put together however many millions they want to spend on this one.

After State/Lake, there'll only be one unimproved station, Van Buren/LaSalle.

Note that these are just engineering funds, there's no money programmed to actually carry out construction. Generally, engineering takes about two years. I wouldn't expect any shovels to be in the ground until 2018 at the earliest, and that's if CDOT can manage to put together however many millions they want to spend on this one.

And Adams/Wabash.

It would be nice if they reconnected LaSalle/Van Buren to LaSalle Street Station or more accurately, what remains of it. I used to be able to walk directly to it from the L mezzanine, no it's go downstairs, walk a block & go back upstairs.

CDOT is requesting that CMAQ funds programmed for State/Lake reconstruction engineering be moved from 2017 to 2015. Presumably, CDOT is expecting to get to work shortly after Washington/Wabash is opened.

See page 66: http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/374998/CMAQ_Full_Packet_02-19-2015+%28draft%29.pdf/2d8abd84-17d4-4b34-a13a-95f6f45bac6a

It would be good if they did work on State/Lake elevated. For one that's a showcase station for north State street and two there is no wheelchair accessible transfer there. Wheelchair accessible riders must switch trains at Clark/Lake elevated to switch trains again at Jackson/Blue line if they wanted to go to the red line. Even then they would still have to go a block away to connect there also. So really there is no direct link between Green/Red for those riders.

It would be good if they did work on State/Lake elevated. For one that's a showcase station for north State street and two there is no wheelchair accessible transfer there. Wheelchair accessible riders must switch trains at Clark/Lake elevated to switch trains again at Jackson/Blue line if they wanted to go to the red line. Even then they would still have to go a block away to connect there also. So really there is no direct link between Green/Red for those riders.

That probably depends on whether they get an easement in a building, similar to in the Thompson Center. Otherwise you have the problem that the only elevator is at State-Washington, which is closed. I'm surprised that about 6 years later, they still haven't figured out a way to reopen it.

That probably depends on whether they get an easement in a building, similar to in the Thompson Center. Otherwise you have the problem that the only elevator is at State-Washington, which is closed. I'm surprised that about 6 years later, they still haven't figured out a way to reopen it.

I didn't even realize that was the case until now that you mentioned it. Probably better to just ride to Roosevelt. It probably would be faster even though it's out of the way.

If I'm going way up north from the Green Line from the west, I switch at Clark/Lake to the Brown Line, then switch to the Red Line at Belmont or Fullerton.

Also, I don't think people in wheelchairs can use the transfer tunnel at Jackson, so they'd have to go up to the street and use their farecard to reenter the system. Same with Clark/Lake, the transfer bridge only has stairs. Like you said in your later post, Roosevelt is probably the best direct transfer.

I didn't even realize that was the case until now that you mentioned it. Probably better to just ride to Roosevelt. It probably would be faster even though it's out of the way.

If I'm going way up north from the Green Line from the west, I switch at Clark/Lake to the Brown Line, then switch to the Red Line at Belmont or Fullerton.

Also, I don't think people in wheelchairs can use the transfer tunnel at Jackson, so they'd have to go up to the street and use their farecard to reenter the system. Same with Clark/Lake, the transfer bridge only has stairs. Like you said in your later post, Roosevelt is probably the best direct transfer.

Correct on both accounts. Only possible question with regard to Red-Blue transfers is if it assumes that the accessible transfer is via the pedway as opposed to the lower tunnel, but that would assume having to leave the paid fare area.

When they were talking about the Circle Line (hard to believe that's about 12 years ago), including a Brown-Orange linkup (not just the occasional Brownage train, but permanently only on Wells and Van Buren), I figured Roosevelt and Fullerton as transfer points. While they certainly are available, apparently that isn't considered the solution, as others point out that wouldn't have a direct Blue Line connection, except at Library and going over to Jackson (elevator in front of the Federal Building).

On the main point BusHunter raised, to which I answered an easement in an adjoining building, one has to wait for the engineering, for which CDOT is apparently asking for the funding..