Return of the 11 & 31 Bus

sw4400

This thread has brought a few things to mind about routes 31 and 35:

1. Once a driver was working #35 westbound to Kedzie but she turned left at 26th and King Dr instead of 29th. I boarded the bus and advised her to go around Vernon to 29th and resume the route there.

2. Similarly, a driver working #35 eastbound to Mercy Hospital didn't make the right turn on King Dr  at 29th but went halfway out. I told her to turn south on King Dr and go to 30th St and head north to resume the route.

I am happy the #31 is being restored but it won't be running on Sunday. 9_9

7 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

1. Once a driver was working #35 westbound to Kedzie but she turned left at 26th and King Dr instead of 29th. I boarded the bus and advised her to go around Vernon to 29th and resume the route there.

2. Similarly, a driver working #35 eastbound to Mercy Hospital didn't make the right turn on King Dr  at 29th but went halfway out. I told her to turn south on King Dr and go to 30th St and head north to resume the route.

When #1 Drexel-Hyde Park went through there,there were "CTA ->" signs.

I also wonder why, if the buses have GPS,they don't have navigation.

10 hours ago, sw4400 said:

It's the former of the two, @jajuan. It's like Ashland.... it runs to Irving Park until a about 12a-12:30a, then the rest only go to North/Clark. The buses will travel from Howard/McCormick to Fullerton/Halsted until about 7p, then travel from Howard/McCormick to Western until Lincoln's regular termination time(which I believe was between 7:30p-8p).

Yeah but if you figure it takes 20-30 minutes to go Fullerton/Halsted to Western /Brown then the last bus will probably come from Fullerton. Only the morning will see the north #11 branch service. What may be interesting though is whether the last sb at 7PM will go to Fullerton, I bet not. With only 10 days to go I'm surprised they haven't released the new schedules for #11

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but if you figure it takes 20-30 minutes to go Fullerton/Halsted to Western /Brown then the last bus will probably come from Fullerton. Only the morning will see the north #11 branch service. What may be interesting though is whether the last sb at 7PM will go to Fullerton, I bet not. With only 10 days to go I'm surprised they haven't released the new schedules for #11

Well they haven't yet set up their "Bus Schedules Updating on June 19" page yet, so none of the bus schedules that are getting tweaked for summer pick have been made available yet. 

18 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I am happy the #31 is being restored but it won't be running on Sunday. 9_9

I'll top those. I was on a NB 22 maybe 10 years ago & this new to the route driver missed the turn at Rogers & went all the way to South Blvd in Evanston, so we told him to go east on South, then south on Sheridan & SW on Rogers & then to the terminal.

17 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I was just thinking this morning when passing Lincoln that they had finally dismantled the bus stop shelters south of Western and the Brown Line, and now they're soon re-extending the route down to Fullerton.

That's J.C. Decaux's problem.

On 6/11/2016 at 10:33 PM, BusHunter said:

The cross street buses are now announcing the #11 in a short promo on the clever devices when it passes Lincoln. The #152 is doing this. No bus stops signs yet, they only have 9 more days.

I couldn't help but notice yesterday at Lincoln/Ashland they have put up paper signs saying the #11 is coming but still no regular signs. Hopefully they'll have more than just paper signs on Monday.

36 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I couldn't help but notice yesterday at Lincoln/Ashland they have put up paper signs saying the #11 is coming but still no regular signs. Hopefully they'll have more than just paper signs on Monday.

You know they will post those signs Sunday evening, probably while were sleeping in Seattle lol. 

3 hours ago, Juniorz said:

looks to be a mixture of both, but either way, the businesses and neighbor are supporting the extension

Well with the businesses and neighborhood giving their support, hopefully it gives the #11 the numbers it needs to survive the six month experiment period. 

2 hours ago, Juniorz said:

You know they will post those signs Sunday evening, probably while were sleeping in Seattle lol. 

Or if the X9 and X49 are examples, they might even be up by Friday. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Let's hope it gets enough riders during the pilot, so they can likely extend either it's routing, hours of service or both.

Well it would appear to have the advantage over the #31. An extension of service hours might be more likely somewhere down the road, if the extension is successful. But I wouldn't look for an extension of routing because the #37 is handling things south of the Red Line. But let's let the extension get off the ground first and hopefully succeed before making any predictions about further extensions and their likelihood. 

2 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Great! Also, the flyer Juniorz posted above is the official Route 11 pilot flyer!

11-pilot_promotional-flier_060916-page-002.jpg

11-pilot_promotional-flier_060916-page-001.jpg

Yeah that part stuck out as official CTA materials that would be passed out to riders. The flyer materials mentioning "the years of advocacy" looked to be items from the community and Pawar.

52 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

The other flyer was courtesy of Pawar

Between his flyer and the CTA's as well as the community and business's support, it should seemingly be enough to hit the 1500 (am I remembering that correctly here?} threshold set by CTA as the mark of success to keep the expansion around. That's a relatively low threshold to meet considering that as seen from the November 2012 ridership report, the average weekday count of about 5400 passenger boardings per day just before the cut was enough for Claypool to get the CTA board to rubber stamp the cut of everything south of the Western Brown Line bus terminal. I think that's one more detail that shows Claypool's DeCrowd cuts as implemented were in many ways nonsensical. He said 5400 wasn't enough to keep the portion south of the Western Brown Line around while his successor Mr Carter is saying a bit over one quarter of that number is enough to keep that segment of the route in existence beyond the six month trial all while finding a way to do it with an investment that's a relatively small hit to the total budget. 

Remember, the CTA in 2012 is not the CTA of 2016. We were in a financial crisis, now with the economy a little more stable and the return on a trial bases, I think the targeted number makes sense given the schedule provided. In December, we'll see if it's a success.

35 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Remember, the CTA in 2012 is not the CTA of 2016. We were in a financial crisis, now with the economy a little more stable and the return on a trial bases, I think the targeted number makes sense given the schedule provided. In December, we'll see if it's a success.

That may be, but it still made no sense and didn't line up with official Claypool double speak of reasons to need to do any cuts (low ridership and duplication of surrounding service whose resources could be reinvested in the highest ridership services to help ease crowding), given the 55A, 55N, 62H and 63W out in Lipinski-ville were allowed yet again to remain in existence as bus routes for the obvious political reasons when CTA had been in the 20 years since BoozAllen ax on services, that those routes would be more efficiently run as vanpool. The #11 didn't duplicate the Brown Line by any stretch of the definition of service duplication, and there are a vast majority of other routes of modest numbers like that the #11 drew at the time and a good number of others with much less like the before mentioned routes west of Midway that came through with no reduction in routing whatsoever though a few have seen relatively minimal trims in service times since then. You can't tell me that 5400 passengers under those circumstances is low ridership and enough to cut a service and then now just three and a half years later, bring that same route segment back and say all the entire route needs is a little over a quarter of the number that got it cut in the first place to survive today beyond six months. Even one of the bubble brains on the CTA Board that rubber stamped this and the rest of the cuts made a point of saying he didn't see how it made since to cut out the whole middle portion of this route with the numbers it was able to bring in among other medium count routes. As discussed then this particular cut was an exercise in some ways of Emanuel's show of which aldermen had any political influence under his watch and by how much.