Community vehicles

Pace831

I saw what was obviously a Pace community vehicle but without any decals (Pace logo, fleet number, etc.) It was getting off northbound I-355 to go east on US 6 in New Lenox. A new vehicle arriving, or a retired one?

I also saw a similar one about a month ago at 1815 N Kostner (street view) while I was riding the Milwaukee West train. I'm guessing this is an old one.

The deal on those is while a few are used directly on Pace services (511, Call and Rides) most are sent off to various municipal and community projects, such as some senior center. In that it was parked next to "New Hope" would indicate that. Some of them are decaled with the government funded program's name.

See the Community Vehicle page and links.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

The deal on those is while a few are used directly on Pace services (511, Call and Rides) most are sent off to various municipal and community projects, such as some senior center. In that it was parked next to "New Hope" would indicate that. Some of them are decaled with the government funded program's name.

See the Community Vehicle page and links.

So it isn't unusual for them to lack any Pace markings? Specifically, the one shown on the page you linked to has the row of Pace logos across the sides. Except for the two I mentioned above, all the ones I have seen have the Pace logos.

I was also looking at the West Joliet Call-n-Ride vehicle, where the Pace logos are visible as "bumps" under the wrap, but there wasn't a visible fleet number anywhere on the exterior like the route 511 bus has. Pictures of both for comparison:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

24 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

So it isn't unusual for them to lack any Pace markings? Specifically, the one shown on the page you linked to has the row of Pace logos across the sides. Except for the two I mentioned above, all the ones I have seen have the Pace logos.

Again it is probably an issue whether they were destined for Pace service or community service. Probably the only distinctive thing is whether they have M plates. There probably also is a Pace fleet number somewhere. However, all this is is "big vanpool" and is probably treated similarly.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Again it is probably an issue whether they were destined for Pace service or community service. Probably the only distinctive thing is whether they have M plates. There probably also is a Pace fleet number somewhere. However, all this is is "big vanpool" and is probably treated similarly.

Additionally those blank buses can be used as spares. 

Jack, technically you're right. Community vehicles are in the "vanpool" class. It's kinda funky how it's reported under. 

3 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

Additionally those blank buses can be used as spares. 

Jack, technically you're right. Community vehicles are in the "vanpool" class. It's kinda funky how it's reported under. 

What would they be used as spares for? Vanpools?

The vans at least have a small "Pace vanpool" logo on them, so I'm surprised these community vehicles don't have something similar, if only to point out that the program exists.

19 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The vans at least have a small "Pace vanpool" logo on them, so I'm surprised these community vehicles don't have something similar, if only to point out that the program exists.

You can't tell unless you have a clear shot of the rear. Google Streetview didn't provide it to you.

7 hours ago, mel bernero said:

I have noticed on some of the community vehicles that they have a small number in the front windshield by the driver.

This also illustrates that the wrap style has changed. At any time I saw the Arlington Heights-Rolling Meadows vehicle, it had the wrap style which @Pace831 illustrated for West Joliet, which was originally illustrated in the above style. Probably explains why he saw logos under the wrap.

Again, to see the number, you have to click on it, pick full screen, and then hit the magnifying glass.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

This also illustrates that the wrap style has changed. At any time I saw the Arlington Heights-Rolling Meadows vehicle, it had the wrap style which @Pace831 illustrated for West Joliet, which was originally illustrated in the above style. Probably explains why he saw logos under the wrap.

Again, to see the number, you have to click on it, pick full screen, and then hit the magnifying glass.

Page 60 of the 2017 budget lists the following totals for the active roster of community vehicles:

• 22 2008
  • 23 2009
  • 8 2012
  • 20 2015

The number in @mel bernero's picture looks like 7050. I suppose the older ones are 7000s, and the 2015 ones are the 14400s.

I like the new wrap design. It's simpler but still eye-catching. There is also a new look for the online brochures, such as the Naperville-Aurora one. Incidentally, the vehicle pictured is the old Arlington Heights one with the name of the towns photoshopped.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

You can't tell unless you have a clear shot of the rear. Google Streetview didn't provide it to you.

If you move over and zoom in a little, it's clear enough to see there isn't anything on the back like the vans have.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:22 PM, Pace831 said:

What would they be used as spares for? Vanpools?

Spares for community vehicles or call n rides. Vanpool spares are used for vanpools only. 

9 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

Spares for community vehicles or call n rides. Vanpool spares are used for vanpools only. 

But that just reinforces the point that they should have Pace markings on them. People might get confused if they are expecting a wrapped call-n-ride vehicle but a blank one shows up instead. I'm sure there are spares, but they probably have the "pin stripe" of Pace logos. Like @Busjack said, the blank ones are probably for community organizations such as senior centers.

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

But that just reinforces the point that they should have Pace markings on them. People might get confused if they are expecting a wrapped call-n-ride vehicle but a blank one shows up instead. I'm sure there are spares, but they probably have the "pin stripe" of Pace logos. Like @Busjack said, the blank ones are probably for community organizations such as senior centers.

Spares, in 90% of the time, have the Pace Logo. Blanks are scattered but used for those community org shuttles.

"Community vehicles" are an odd lot. Most if not all are operated by an organization of some sort usually for their own constituents. For instance, Chicago State Univ has one that runs betweenthe school and 95th Ryan as a student shuttle and is lettered fir CSU. Paratransit buses are used on public dial-a-ride services. 

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

"Community vehicles" are an odd lot. Most if not all are operated by an organization of some sort usually for their own constituents. For instance, Chicago State Univ has one that runs betweenthe school and 95th Ryan as a student shuttle and is lettered fir CSU. Paratransit buses are used on public dial-a-ride services. 

The internal designation (for reporting) is/was a hoot.

20 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

19 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

The internal designation (for reporting) is/was a hoot.

There is a Frankfort Township Dial-a-ride that uses a community vehicle (even though their website pictures a paratransit). That service is not listed in the Pace dial-a-ride directory, and seems to be different only because it has a residency requirement ("you must live in Frankfort Township"). For that reason, does the Frankfort service get a community vehicle instead of a paratransit because it is classified differently than other dial-a-rides?

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

For that reason, does the Frankfort service get a community vehicle instead of a paratransit because it is classified differently than other dial-a-rides?

It seems classified under what used to be considered the Municipal Vanpool Program. (Note that the path on the top of that page is Pace Home » Vanpool Incentive Program  » Municipal Vehicle Program.) Most of the dial-a-ride projects, while supported by some unit of local government, are run by Pace contractors, The McHenry garage (owned by Pace but operated by First Transit) has a good chunk of these. As the pdf for the municipal vehicle program indicates, essentially all Pace does is provide the vehicle to the government unit, and specifically says "Municipality is responsible for providing its own drivers for the Service."

• 8 months later...