Damen Green Line

NewFlyerMCI

14 hours ago, jajuan said:

Chicago Tribune article reports that the Damen Green Line station will open in 2024. Thought it would be an interesting update for our members just in case no one has yet seen or heard it from the Trib, other outlets or CTA itself.

When I recently passed Damen on the Green Line,  there was no activity.  

They’re definitely working on the station house area now. Flaggers were needed for the past month or two because a rig used to drill holes for the piles/foundation was working close to the elevated structure, as well as occasional surveying and other work beforehand. Now it’s just workers who are working at ground level where the station house is going to be, but there are slow zone signs in place for both directions that can be set up for when the work starts moving upwards. They’ve been installed since at least this summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All the work being done is still at or below track level, but there are some significant things the construction crews have done. Some of the support beams holding up the track have been cut out and replaced. If you ride by you can see it on the cross girders where the ends are gray as opposed to painted the same color as the rest of the steel structure. And a lot of the foundation for the station house is there too.

10 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

All the work being done is still at or below track level, but there are some significant things the construction crews have done. Some of the support beams holding up the track have been cut out and replaced. If you ride by you can see it on the cross girders where the ends are gray as opposed to painted the same color as the rest of the steel structure. And a lot of the foundation for the station house is there too.

I saw that the other night I rode pass there

10 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I rode the Green Line yesterday.   Slow zone was from Western to Paulina with 6mph zone within 2 blocks of Damen in both directions.  From what I could see, the area where the station house is in be built is surrounded by fencing and there is a lot of material inside the fence but nothing elected yet. 

On 2/14/2023 at 8:19 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

I saw that the other night I rode pass there

There’s more similar looking steel components in a nearby lot, so it looks like there’s more supports that need to be modified too.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:57 PM, artthouwill said:

I rode the Green Line yesterday.   Slow zone was from Western to Paulina with 6mph zone within 2 blocks of Damen in both directions.  From what I could see, the area where the station house is in be built is surrounded by fencing and there is a lot of material inside the fence but nothing elected yet. 

From my observations southbound trains slow down around Leavitt St or Hoyne Ave. Northbound trains get slowed down almost immediately after the first car clears Paulina Junction. When the slow zones are active the southbound 6 MPH limit begins by the Rivian Service Center, and the northbound one begins right by a lot with a bunch of wrecked cars. For now  you won’t be seeing anything unless you’re riding up on the trains.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Most of the big additions happen overnight, like the big steel sections that will support the platforms. There are flaggers at Harlem who are now getting assigned overnight shifts at Damen in addition to those who flag during the day. The contractors have been working on the site longer to get the station built faster, and it’s easier during that 2-3 hour period when the Green Line isn’t running overnight to add those big sections by crane.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, William Miles said:

Do anybody have any photos  update on the Cta Green Line Damen/Lake. I heard that it open early April

Go look at the CTA Construction Monthly Board Presentation.

58 minutes ago, William Miles said:

Do anybody have any photos  update on the Cta Green Line Damen/Lake. I heard that it open early April

My most recent ride by there was in January.  No way do I think it would be early April.  My guess would be late fall at the earliest.   The platforms were only partially laid and the station house wasn't built at all. I might get another look sometime this month 

1 hour ago, William Miles said:

It's said on  Wikipedia . that Damen is an under construction rapid transit station on the Chicago "L"'s Green Line, that will open in mid-2024.[

1 hour ago, rl12383 said:

The CTA construction report says completion is expected in July 2024 (slide 3). 

Wikipedia is not a source. The CTA construction report is. Thus, the ratings. And @William Miles, you could have looked it up yourself.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Elkmn said:

I just recently found out Peterson Ridge Metra opens 5/20. When will Damen open? Have any Lake street riders seen progress more recently? 

Why don't you read @rl12383's post above? Or look at the March CT Board Meeting video, where "your Chief Infrastructure Officer William Moody" said mid summer?

In short, why reask a question that was already answered?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 8:39 AM, William Miles said:

Here you go. I took this yesterday afternoon when riding the 50 Damen home from the medical district. This is looking just west of Lake and Damen while heading northbound. I only had time to snap the one because the light changed green just as I was going to try another view.

IMG_20240328_135029199_HDR.thumb.jpg.a95b536b538d0cefbf18c5f4e4a3d8bf.jpg