Requesting info on Historic CTA routes from Jefferson Park, 64, and 40. Also info on a United route.

Express Flyer

1 hour ago, Express Flyer said:

What were the route names and what did they do?

As for the United route, what purpose did it serve? I imagine it took passengers to the United Terminal at O'Hare. As well, what was it's route path?

FB_IMG_1614828942070.jpg

Most of these routes still exist today. Of ones that are not, we have the:

• 64 - Foster/Canfield (although by the sign, it was the 64 - Foster/Lawrence at that time). Victim of the 2008-2010 budget crisis I believe (could be off about that one)
  • 40 - O'Hare Express. Eliminated when the O'Hare extension finished constructed.
  • United, I can only assume is an employee and/or passenger shuttle
  • 56A - North Milwaukee. See 64

Of the routes we still have today:

• 88 - Higgins
  • 56 - Milwaukee
  • 81 - Lawrence
  • 68 - NW Hwy
  • 92 - Foster
  • 85 - Central
  • 85A - North Central

28 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Most of these routes still exist today. Of ones that are not, we have the:

• 64 - Foster/Canfield (although by the sign, it was the 64 - Foster/Lawrence at that time). Victim of the 2008-2010 budget crisis I believe (could be off about that one)
  • 40 - O'Hare Express. Eliminated when the O'Hare extension finished constructed.
  • United, I can only assume is an employee and/or passenger shuttle
  • 56A - North Milwaukee. See 64

Of the routes we still have today:

• 88 - Higgins
  • 56 - Milwaukee
  • 81 - Lawrence
  • 68 - NW Hwy
  • 92 - Foster
  • 85 - Central
  • 85A - North Central

56A and 64 were eliminated in December of 2012.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:00 PM, Express Flyer said:

As for the United route, what purpose did it serve? I imagine it took passengers to the United Terminal at O'Hare. As well, what was it's route path?

At that time this would have been the bus services operated by United Bus based in Des Plaines which became Nortran and is now Pace Northwest Division.

Before the extension of the Blue Line to O'Hare nearly all Pace routes ending at Rosemont and Harlem would have run through to Jefferson Park, including

1 Jefferson Park-Des Plaines - operated primarily via Northwest Highway, during rush hours only. All day service was provided by route #61, operating into downtown Chicago.

21 operated west of Jefferson Park via Higgins Rd, Cumberland, Devon, Higgins, Mannheim and Touhy to just west of Lee St in South Des Plaines. (remains now 223 which was introduced in Apr 78 from Jefferson Park then via Northwest Tollway to York Rd to Elk Grove industrial area. )

Nortran 26 introduced Nov 75 from Jefferson Park to Oakton/Hamilton via Central, Carpenter, Niles Center & Oakton to Diane.  (226)

61 Barrington to Chicago. Rush hour only service between Des Plaines and Barrington. In 1975, Barrington service discontinued and all service redesignated by Nortran as route #61, with all day service terminating at Jefferson Park CTA station with rush hour only service into downtown Chicago. Was designated by RTA as #261, and downtown service discontinued 6/10/79. Remaining service through-routed to Woodfield Mall and renumbered #209.

70 operating from Milwaukee Ave. and Chicago city limits to Golf Mill shopping center. More recently operated south to Jefferson Park CTA station in coordination with CTA route #56A.

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

If you go to chicago-l.org click on the route maps and you can download old cta maps if you want to see old routes. There were alot of interesting ones.

1) Reading any map before 1981 is hard on the eyes, especially 1965

2) Its weird seeing all the evolutions and changes to routes over time. Especially ones like the 27

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

1) Reading any map before 1981 is hard on the eyes, especially 1965

2) Its weird seeing all the evolutions and changes to routes over time. Especially ones like the 27

I like the roscoe and southport routes. 2 separate routes. There was cool stuff in the late 60s like the addison limited. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...