8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

1 hour ago, Rail Introvert said:

for some reason

You should have a reason. Maybe if you regularly ride 78, but if equity is the goal (as CTA sometimes claims it is) @jajuan indicates K should get more priority than it has in the last 20 years, not to mention 74th. If you were around about 2004, I bet you weren't saying "Darn It!" when K traded its 6000s to FG (which just received 6400s) for FG's broken-down and unrehabbed 5300s.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

Hey at least they went to a garage that didn't get many new buses starting off.

I guess someone at 567 saw my post with the rosters showcasing how Kedzie was getting shafted. 😅 I'm glad they're getting something extra for right now. Deliveries have slowed down for the moment but should pick back up in the next week or so. 

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

You should have a reason. Maybe if you regularly ride 78, but if equity is the goal (as CTA sometimes claims it is) @jajuan indicates K should get more priority than it has in the last 20 years, not to mention 74th. If you were around about 2004, I bet you weren't saying "Darn It!" when K traded its 6000s to FG (which just received 6400s) for FG's broken-down and unrehabbed 5300s.

I decide if I should have a reason. Not you. As of currently, I live close to Pulaski & Lawrence, so I ride both routes when necessary. I was in existence in actually 2001 when I began to notice the 6000 Series on FG routes. In 2002, I began to see the 6400 Series Novas hit FG before I joined the Navy.

1 hour ago, Rail Introvert said:

I decide if I should have a reason. Not you.

I'm just asking. We have @Adam Hubbard just asking if FG is going to be all NFs and you saying "Darn it" if a few Novas in temporary storage at FG were moved, when it was clear from the DNC that FG was going to be used as a holding pen, since it has room after the acquired properties were razed. I don't know if these two suppositions are consistent, but at least you said your reason.

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2024 at 1:41 PM, Adam Hubbard said:

Any word that FG will lose or get any newer of the 8700s or 8800s range?

you still got 74th and North Park for novas, FG can’t be the only garage getting everything you gotta realize a lot of the garages like Kedzie and Chicago and North Park have older equipment and make do with what they have until a swap of buses is set in stone. North Park has been in line for novas for months now and post DNC they are finally getting em. Chicago got newer novas the same reason North Park did, the upcoming 8750’s will most likely be shipped out to Kedzie by the looks of it.

14 hours ago, Busjack said:

I'm just asking. We have @Adam Hubbard just asking if FG is going to be all NFs and you saying "Darn it" if a few Novas in temporary storage at FG were moved, when it was clear from the DNC that FG was going to be used as a holding pen, since it has room after the acquired properties were razed. I don't know if these two suppositions are consistent, but at least you said your reason.

Just not sure why they'd use FG as a holding pen. Seems like a random pick to me because why not other garages?

45 minutes ago, Rail Introvert said:

Just not sure why they'd use FG as a holding pen. Seems like a random pick to me because why not other garages?

I said several times before: There's yard space there after CTA demolished buildings at 5601 N. Elston and 5353 W Armstrong Ave. By contrast, there's nowhere to store excess buses at K.

Since you say you live near there, go check it out yourself.

12 hours ago, Rail Introvert said:

I said I live close to Pulaski & Lawrence.

That was understood. Google Maps says FG is less than 3 miles away. It;s not like you said you lived at 79th and Princeton (in which case, you would know where the closest garage was). If these directions are too tough for you, take the 81 bus to Jeff Park and then 85 North.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

That was understood. Google Maps says FG is less than 3 miles away. It;s not like you said you lived at 79th and Princeton (in which case, you would know where the closest garage was). If these directions are too tough for you, take the 81 bus to Jeff Park and then 85 North.

I know that. I did used to live by 79th & Perry (79th Red Line station & of course 77th Garage).

On 9/15/2024 at 12:47 PM, Rail Introvert said:

Because South Shops ran out of room between temporarily holding 8350s freshly delivered and awaiting prepping for service at whichever garage 567 decided given fleet numbers would go, storing buses that are in line for extensive work that can't be done at the home garage, and taking in artics and higher option 1000s taken out of service and/or retired that developed heavy rust damage due to being constructed with carbon steel bodies that are more susceptible than expected to Chicago's harsh winters and apparently the salt the city uses for snow removal. FG had the room to help relieve some of the pressure. So why not use it? Plus as others said, North Park and 74th both have to get their share out of what's left on top of K and 77th getting boosted from their initial low counts. So FG wasn't going to keep all of what additional 8350s were sent its way anyway.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

Because South Shops ran out of room between temporarily holding 8350s freshly delivered and awaiting prepping for service at whichever garage 567 decided given fleet numbers would go, storing buses that are in line for extensive work that can't be done at the home garage, and taking in artics and higher option 1000s taken out of service and/or retired that developed heavy rust damage due to being constructed with carbon steel bodies that are more susceptible than expected to Chicago's harsh winters and apparently the salt the city uses for snow removal. FG had the room to help relieve some of the pressure. So why not use it? 

Well we had Skokie south, now we got 77th-North 😁😁

• Haha 2