Shared Bus Routes

renardo870

Good morning. I was just inquiring if the 77 Belmont rush hours trips between Kimball/Blue Line and Halsted or Sheridan are still being supplemented by Kedzie Garage? I didn't see any information reflecting that in the chicagobus.org garage section under Kedzie Garage.

Edited by renardo870

6 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Good morning. I was just inquiring if the 77 Belmont rush hours trips between Kimball/Blue Line and Halsted or Sheridan are still being supplemented by Kedzie Garage? I didn't see any information reflecting that in the chicagobus.org garage section under Kedzie Garage.

Based on a convo a couple of weeks ago on here, this seems to be the case for PM rush, with 134, 143 & 156 (and 151?) artics running on the 77 to Kimball and then 82 to Congress. Someone else might able to speak on if the reverse happens during AM rush.

I don't think this would be on the Garage section since the 77 technically isn't a shared route. Buses from Kedzie aren't pulling out to do trips dedicated to 77, if I understand correctly, these buses are essentially using their deadhead to pick up slack on the 77. Whereas something like the 49, where both 74th & NP are running buses on the route at the same time. Someone can correct me if this isn't entirely accurate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Based on a convo a couple of weeks ago on here, this seems to be the case for PM rush, with 134, 143 & 156 (and 151?) artics running on the 77 to Kimball and then 82 to Congress. Someone else might able to speak on if the reverse happens during AM rush.

I don't think this would be on the Garage section since the 77 technically isn't a shared route. Buses from Kedzie aren't pulling out to do trips dedicated to 77, if I understand correctly, these buses are essentially using their deadhead to pick up slack on the 77. Whereas something like the 49, where both 74th & NP are running buses on the route at the same time. Someone can correct me if this isn't entirely accurate.

You hit it right on the head basically. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sht6131 said:

What pull-out does it take and where does it start?

This bus goes from kedsie garage and deadheads to the Belmont & Octavia terminal where it starts a 77 trip, the bus goes up to the Belmont & Halsted terminal where the bus then turns into a 56. It would’ve been 77-201 but since it remains for a longer period on the 156 (about 3 mins more than 77) most of the time then its 156-206.

30 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

This bus goes from kedsie garage and deadheads to the Belmont & Octavia terminal where it starts a 77 trip, the bus goes up to the Belmont & Halsted terminal where the bus then turns into a 56. It would’ve been 77-201 but since it remains for a longer period on the 156 (about 3 mins more than 77) most of the time then its 156-206.

Thanks for the quick respond. Can I take this further? What direction on Milwaukee and when does it finally do 156?

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

It should still be in the shared section the moderator for that section is a rail op and probably been too busy. It should show up the same way shared school trips show on routes like 62 and 82 

5 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Only one AM Belmont trip? I would think 77 would have at least 5 or 6 AM trips going east to Halsted. Thanks for the info. 

Most likely because K is too short to spare too many buses that far out in the AM.K is one of the more AM heavy garages 

1 hour ago, NovaBusFan said:

Did 74 use to be a FG Route in the past? Or do FG and Chicago use to share that route? I know for a fact that Chicago garage most likely covers that route. 

Can't speak to the past, but I'm inclined to say it hasn't changed garage positions in a while. Chicago has all the east-west routes from Madison to Fullerton, FG has all the east-west routes from Diversey to Peterson.

Edit: Here's a link to a map showing routes by garage placement

Edited by NewFlyerMCI
Added a link

2 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Did 74 use to be a FG Route in the past? Or do FG and Chicago use to share that route? I know for a fact that Chicago garage most likely covers that route. 

76 used to be owned by chicago but then it changed to FG idk if that was shared though but I was wondering or maybe it was just a switch. maybe now they flip flopped the two

2 hours ago, Policeman said:

Shared.

Oh ok

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

76 used to be owned by chicago but then it changed to FG idk if that was shared though but I was wondering or maybe it was just a switch. maybe now they flip flopped the two

Ye some routes have used by other garages before everything was organized.

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Can't speak to the past, but I'm inclined to say it hasn't changed garage positions in a while. Chicago has all the east-west routes from Madison to Fullerton, FG has all the east-west routes from Diversey to Peterson.

Edit: Here's a link to a map showing routes by garage placement

Chicago has had 74 since the streetcar days. 74 was at Lincoln and when Lincoln closed it was relocated to North which became Chicago. I remember I rode my bike to North a day after the close just to see the baby pullman`s (700`s to 1100`s) at north for the first time in my life

4 hours ago, Policeman said:

Shared.

6 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Strictly a Chicago route now. MAYBE was shared by FG as part of the interim period 2010-2012 but otherwise strictly Chicago. Diversey was Chicago and then moved to FG in 2013-2014, essentially when artics werre being tried at Chicago for the first time. 

1 minute ago, Sam92 said:

Strictly a Chicago route now. MAYBE was shared by FG as part of the interim period 2010-2012 but otherwise strictly Chicago. Diversey was Chicago and then moved to FG in 2013-2014, essentially when artics werre being tried at Chicago for the first time. 

Just checked and confirmed…. Strictly a Chicago route as of 2012. Was shared with FG between  the 2010 feb cuts until 2012 when decrowding consolidated runs. Was based at Chicago since Chicago opened; before that was at North Av (chicagos predecessor) before briefly being sent to Kedzie in the period where North Ave was being replaced by Chicago