CTA Safety

Busjack

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sht6131 said:

If not for safety at least a rush hour conductor on each train during rush would decrease dwell time at each station.

Dwell time could be decreased if the motormen of the one man operation trains would just immediately open the doors, instead of opening their window & then open the doors!  That adds at least 5 seconds per station & on the Red Line, that adds at least two minutes per run.

1 hour ago, MetroShadow said:

I don't see a reason for them to may bring back the conductors, or some other efficient (maybe unarmed?) ambassadors. Reason being.

I don't know how relevant BART would be, given that (1) it is probably more analogous to the South Shore than an urban system, (2) the issue on CTA is violence, homeless people being an assumed, and (3) "ambassadors" mean little, as there are now community activists riding the trains (see this story).

The problem can be briefly condensed as that criminals feel free to commit mayhem on the CTA, even though HD cameras blanket the stations, trains, and buses.  It was one thing when people were wearing masks, but now the suspects are easily identifiable (as in this story). I suppose if someone can figure out what to do with such people, they can tell Durbin and Garcia. I don't think unarmed conductors are the answer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Not a surprise.....youth have been on a tear since 2018.They're too damn bold knowing the city won't do a damn thing about it.  It's gotten far worse since the pandemic but now is the time for a long overdue line drawn in the sand. The City and CTA need to take this situation of crime and safety serious. Unarmed Rent-A cops and inadequate strategies from CPD have gone on long enough. Give the union members what they've been asking for the longest and I guarantee there will be a dip in crime especially among youth to young adults. I don't know if having multiple units sitting on Stand-by at 90% of terminals and stations would do the trick on the rail side but it would definitely detour the exit strategies for criminals if they knew CPD was waiting for them upstairs/downstairs. As far as the buses are concerned that's a very tight rope you would have to walk in order to keep things safe for everyone. 

4 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Not a surprise.....youth have been on a tear since 2018.They're too damn bold knowing the city won't do a damn thing about it.  It's gotten far worse since the pandemic but now is the time for a long overdue line drawn in the sand. The City and CTA need to take this situation of crime and safety serious. Unarmed Rent-A cops and inadequate strategies from CPD have gone on long enough. Give the union members what they've been asking for the longest and I guarantee there will be a dip in crime especially among youth to young adults. I don't know if having multiple units sitting on Stand-by at 90% of terminals and stations would do the trick on the rail side but it would definitely detour the exit strategies for criminals if they knew CPD was waiting for them upstairs/downstairs. As far as the buses are concerned that's a very tight rope you would have to walk in order to keep things safe for everyone. 

CPD is only a part of the problem.  Sure Brown is out of his depth as CPD Superintendent, but the real problem is Kim Foxx & all the rotten Cook County judges who let the violent criminals out on low bonds & electronic monitoring, who then commit more crimes on bond & the mess starts over & over again, just like Groundhog Day.

6 hours ago, strictures said:

CPD is only a part of the problem.  Sure Brown is out of his depth as CPD Superintendent, but the real problem is Kim Foxx & all the rotten Cook County judges who let the violent criminals out on low bonds & electronic monitoring, who then commit more crimes on bond & the mess starts over & over again, just like Groundhog Day.

Well it's even more difficult when most of the crimes have been committed by juveniles. The older cats in the game have realized the loophole in the system and have abused the game into an oblivion.Not saying I disagree with you either but times have changed.  If only we had a zero tolerance state's attorney,mayor and superintendent all on the same page....Ahhh and CTA president. Only one can dream about how better things could get.

7 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well it's even more difficult when most of the crimes have been committed by juveniles. The older cats in the game have realized the loophole in the system and have abused the game into an oblivion.Not saying I disagree with you either but times have changed.  If only we had a zero tolerance state's attorney,mayor and superintendent all on the same page....Ahhh and CTA president. Only one can dream about better things could get.

There used to be something akin to zero tolerance but "so called civil rights leadership " claimed racism.  The criminals have mastered the game.  If they get caught, they know they will be back on the streets and if they get time.they know how long they will have to serve BEFORE  they commit the crime

While Lori Lightfoot and Kim Foxx are the faces here, this problem is nationwide, particularly in cities with a sizeable African American population and local Democrat leadership.  That's the truth.   

34 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

The older cats in the game have realized the loophole in the system and have abused the game into an oblivion.

I wonder if these 2 got caught because they attacked someone famous. Usually all one sees on TV is a nondistinct picture and a statement that nobody is in custody.

14 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I wonder if these 2 got caught because they attacked someone famous. Usually all one sees on TV is a nondistinct picture and a statement that nobody is in custody.

Oh best believe that played a role. However, they were easy to catch in my honest opinion due to the simple fact that hardly anyone was out at 2 am right? They didn't much of a get away strategy other than CTA and you can eventually connect the dots on where they're heading after committing a crime if they have no get away driver waiting on them . A lot of these youth ride public transit with little get away strategies at night because they figure no one is watching but during the day it's a different story. High volumes of people during the rush versus low volume post rush dictate a lot of the pre-meditated crimes they're committing. Timing is key for them.

42 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

There used to be something akin to zero tolerance but "so called civil rights leadership " claimed racism.  The criminals have mastered the game.  If they get caught, they know they will be back on the streets and if they get time.they know how long they will have to serve BEFORE  they commit the crime

While Lori Lightfoot and Kim Foxx are the faces here, this problem is nationwide, particularly in cities with a sizeable African American population and local Democrat leadership.  That's the truth.   

The key to getting some control and effort here is on African Americans specifically, until we hold each other accountable and call a spade for a spade things will never improve. Living by codes can only get you so far in the game. Structure and zero tolerance is desperately needed right now and my own people (African Americans) can not push back and start throwing around the victim card because such and such got arrested or shot by CPD for committing x amount of crimes in the process, Whether or not they're 25+ or 15, the age shouldn't make much of a difference on doing the right thing. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

The key to getting some control and effort here is on African Americans specifically, until we hold each other accountable and call a spade for a spade things will never improve. Living by codes can only get you so far in the game. Structure and zero tolerance is desperately needed right now and my own people (African Americans) can not push back and start throwing around the victim card because such and such got arrested or shot by CPD for committing x amount of crimes in the process, Whether or not they're 25+ or 15, the age shouldn't make much of a difference on doing the right thing. 

You need to cc Jesse Jackson,  Al Sharpton,  Maxine Waters.ans all their ilk.  People like Canada Owens, Larry Elder, and Thomas Sowell are labeled Uncle Tom and sellout.   Clarence Thomas was NOT celebrated as a Black Supreme Court Justice.  

We do have to hold ourselves accountable.   Then we can hold our government officials accountable.   It doesn't matter who runs for mayor if they ALL are Democrats.  If you want change,  the you have to be the change.  What if Republicans actually captured City Hall, mayor and aldrtmanic seats?  There would be policy changes and some would be painful.  But given the chance,  change would come.  Maybe then the Dems would start listening to the constituency again.   Democrats know they have the Black vote sewn up so now they are targeting Hispanic voters.im not saying Republicans are saviors and are perfect.   But I've seen over a half century of decline in the Black community under Democrats.   At least TRY something else.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to get into the politics, but the city is mostly dealing with juveniles (including carjackers) and the presumption isn't to lock them up in the current version of the Audy Home until age 21.

Maybe a better question is that since most of the robberies are of iPhones, doesn't Apple have a way of disabling them and killing the secondary market?

I guess there were two separate crimes earlier this morning on the Red line.   One lady was punched in the face several times for no apparent reason 

Then there was a robbery at Roosevelt involving 4 people who did get caught and arrested at Clark and Division 

I guess the unarmed security has there criminals shaking in their boots?