NASCAR 2023

Just watched a Press Conference about street closures for NASCAR.  It looks like the LSD routes, especially the southern ones will be severely affected..  

Looking at the CTA Website.there doesn't seem to be any Alerts concerning rerouted as a result of the race.  Several routes are effective including Museum Campus routes. Michigan Ave routes, LSD routes. CTA didn't have a representative at the press conference and apparently wasn't a part of  city's planning process 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Just watched a Press Conference about street closures for NASCAR.  It looks like the LSD routes, especially the southern ones will be severely affected..  

Looking at the CTA Website.there doesn't seem to be any Alerts concerning rerouted as a result of the race.  Several routes are effective including Museum Campus routes. Michigan Ave routes, LSD routes. CTA didn't have a representative at the press conference and apparently wasn't a part of  city's planning process 

This will be a nightmare for anyone working the week of the event and then afterwards gearing up for lala. Rumor has it that State street will more than likely be the go to street for all LSD routes along with feeders routes going into the loop area. 

This is a list of street closures and when those streets will close and reopen as well as local access streets. I would assume State Street will be the utilized option until around Madison and Washington, so most south reroutes will focus around that area. For north routes along Michigan those won’t necessarily be to affected except for the 147 on the days of the race. I also think DLSD traffic will be rerouted off at North Ave, so there’s that as well. Now there’s also the option to completely short turn south runs at Roosevelt Station and north runs at Grand or State & Lake to avoid congestion as much as possible, which I think might be the plan for the days of the race. The 130 and 146 will have to detour all the way to 31st Street and Fort Dearborn because Museum Campus made a fuss for the area to still be accessible during the race. Now leading up to the race days, I assume State Street, Madison, and Washington will be the ideal streets for reroutes. IMG_7710.thumb.jpeg.2c48d09cef2e00071ac70d7acf0a1750.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nova's at 103rd said:

This is a list of street closures and when those streets will close and reopen as well as local access streets. I would assume State Street will be the utilized option until around Madison and Washington, so most south reroutes will focus around that area. For north routes along Michigan those won’t necessarily be to affected except for the 147 on the days of the race. I also think DLSD traffic will be rerouted off at North Ave, so there’s that as well. Now there’s also the option to completely short turn south runs at Roosevelt Station and north runs at Grand or State & Lake to avoid congestion as much as possible, which I think might be the plan for the days of the race. The 130 and 146 will have to detour all the way to 31st Street and Fort Dearborn because Museum Campus made a fuss for the area to still be accessible during the race. Now leading up to the race days, I assume State Street, Madison, and Washington will be the ideal streets for reroutes. IMG_7710.thumb.jpeg.2c48d09cef2e00071ac70d7acf0a1750.jpeg

7 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

This will be a nightmare for anyone working the week of the event and then afterwards gearing up for lala. Rumor has it that State street will more than likely be the go to street for all LSD routes along with feeders routes going into the loop area. 

The upcoming alerts on CTA's website confirms that, between June 28th and July 6th,  two north DLSD express routes rerouted will be 143 in both directions and 147 in the SB direction, which will have buses running on State Street in both directions south of Randolph. Also buses will turn around by looping via Harrison, Wabash and Balbo due to the closure of Congress circle. There's no alert for 146 yet but I don't see it escaping a reroute near the Roosevelt subway and elevated stations because of the Roosevelt Road closures blocking the route's access to the Museum Campus. The south expresses are already rerouted, which started in May and go through mid-August so that NASCAR and other summer events would be covered. Of course, those reroutes would likely be modified to have buses leave the Drive at I-55 and come over to State Street into downtown because of the NB DLSD closure in conjunction with that of Michigan Ave even though there's no upcoming alert yet. No alert yet for the 1, 3, 4 and X4, but obviously those are going to get rerouted because of the Michigan Ave closures. 7 and 126 will end at Clark Street in the EB direction and start at State WB due to the Michigan Ave and Congress Circle closures. No NASCAR related alerts for the 12 and 18, but both of those can't escape some form of rerouting either. Similar to the 146, the 12 would be affected by the closures of Roosevelt east of Michigan. The 18 would be affected by the Michigan Ave closure. So yeah, State Street especially is going to be a mess from all the bus routes rerouted to it.

10 minutes ago, jajuan said:

The upcoming alerts on CTA's website confirms that, between June 28th and July 6th,  two north DLSD express routes rerouted will be 143 in both directions and 147 in the SB direction, which will have buses running on State Street in both directions south of Randolph. Also buses will turn around by looping via Harrison, Wabash and Balbo due to the closure of Congress circle. There's no alert for 146 yet but I don't see it escaping a reroute near the Roosevelt subway and elevated stations because of the Roosevelt Road closures blocking the route's access to the Museum Campus. The south expresses are already rerouted, which started in May and go through mid-August so that NASCAR and other summer events would be covered. Of course, those reroutes would likely be modified to have buses leave the Drive at I-55 and come over to State Street into downtown because of the NB DLSD closure in conjunction with that of Michigan Ave even though there's no upcoming alert yet. No alert yet for the 1, 3, 4 and X4, but obviously those are going to get rerouted because of the Michigan Ave closures. 7 and 126 will end at Clark Street in the EB direction and start at State WB due to the Michigan Ave and Congress Circle closures. No NASCAR related alerts for the 12 and 18, but both of those can't escape some form of rerouting either. Similar to the 146, the 12 would be affected by the closures of Roosevelt east of Michigan. The 18 would be affected by the Michigan Ave closure. So yeah, State Street especially is going to be a mess from all the bus routes rerouted to it.

I was wondering about the Taste of Chicago after NASCAR,  but I see that the Taste has been moved to September 8 - 10, just 3 days.   

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I was wondering about the Taste of Chicago after NASCAR,  but I see that the Taste has been moved to September 8 - 10, just 3 days.   

That sucks that it's so short this year and pushed back to the weekend after Labor Day weekend. At that point, everybody is going to be in fall mode not really be thinking about summer any longer even though the last day of summer is Sept 22nd calendar-wise. But hopefully the city learns good lessons this go around on how to handle this because Lightfoot locked us into a three year deal with NASCAR, which means three years of traffic and transit nightmares when Lollapalooza already brings enough of those as is every summer. As is, it's already going to be interesting how this plays out with Bubba Wallace already squawking that Chicago streets are too tight and narrow to be a decent race course.

And correction about the NASCAR related service alerts. The start date for them is Monday, June 26th and not the 28th. That means everybody definitely has to make the most of next week on their workweek commutes because after that, it's going to be close to two full workweeks (that Monday of the first week of the alerts to that Thursday of the following week) of transit headaches with all the reroutes going on. 

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

And correction about the NASCAR related service alerts. The start date for them is Monday, June 26th and not the 28th. That means everybody definitely has to make the most of next week on their workweek commutes because after that, it's going to be close to two full workweeks (that Monday of the first week of the alerts to that Thursday of the following week) of transit headaches with all the reroutes going on. 

Ah okay

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

Some of the stadard detours started yesterday during the PM rush for the southern corridor LSD routes. There was text sent out about it on my clever device and then a supervisor was sitting at Columbus and Roosevelt directing buses off the drive WB on Roosevelt to Michigan.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Some of the stadard detours started yesterday during the PM rush for the southern corridor LSD routes. There was text sent out about it on my clever device and then a supervisor was sitting at Columbus and Roosevelt directing buses off the drive WB on Roosevelt to Michigan.

Yeah I think that one started off and on last month. The website says that one's actually supposed to be ongoing into mid-August to account for all the summer time events in and around Grant Park, including NASCAR. As for Museum Campus access, the city may be putting traffic in general on a detour to 31st and looping around via Fort Dearborn to 18th and the access roadways the rest of the way up. But it will be interesting to see if CTA has the 130 and 146 do that over clipping them off at the Roosevelt subway and elevated stations given Roosevelt Road is going to see a closure east of Michigan Ave. With part of DLSD also having a closure, the only alternative would be for buses to go down local streets to I-55 and I-55 to DLSD to get that 31st St access. The question there is which CTA considers the bigger headache between buses stuck in traffic trying to get to and from I-55 or people making a fuss about not being able to get the bus all the way to the Museum Campus.

14 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Yeah I think that one started off and on last month. The website says that one's actually supposed to be ongoing into mid-August to account for all the summer time events in and around Grant Park, including NASCAR. As for Museum Campus access, the city may be putting traffic in general on a detour to 31st and looping around via Fort Dearborn to 18th and the access roadways the rest of the way up. But it will be interesting to see if CTA has the 130 and 146 do that over clipping them off at the Roosevelt subway and elevated stations given Roosevelt Road is going to see a closure east of Michigan Ave. With part of DLSD also having a closure, the only alternative would be for buses to go down local streets to I-55 and I-55 to DLSD to get that 31st St access. The question there is which CTA considers the bigger headache between buses stuck in traffic trying to get to and from I-55 or people making a fuss about not being able to get the bus all the way to the Museum Campus.

I was thinking the 130 and 146 could enter I 55 at State and take NORTHBOUND LSD to 18th.  According to the press conference  that route is available for those who want to access the Museum Campus from other parts of town.  The 31st/FL Dearborn route is primarily for those wanting to access the Museum Campus from South Lake Shore Drive.   Since Ft Dearborn is only one lane in each direction,  it wouldn't be wise to route everyone that way since it also includes driving through McCormick Place Lakeside .  From the Museum Campus all traffic can enter southbound Lake Shore Drive at 18th.  The 130 and 146 can then take the I 55 ramp and exit at State and go north from there

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Carter was just on NBC5 and said Taylor Swift was the highest ridership of the year, and CTA is gearing up for the same for NASCAR.

He isn't lying that's for dang sure. Working the #2 during her tenure here was a nutshell in itself but ridership was higher than normal and I expect the same for the week of 4th of July. The reroutes are in place and as I assumed a majority of the time State Street will be used for most of it. 

4 hours ago, Jackson232 said:

So i have heard things about there being museum campus shuttle busses to get you to the museums from the Roosevelt station and from museum campus to the Roosevelt station. Is this true.

According to this, it is true:

https://www.transitchicago.com/nascar/

It says the shuttle buses will run every 15 minutes.  This information is also on the museum web sites.

Unfortunately, it doesn't say anywhere what hours these buses will run.  It's a pretty safe bet that the shuttles will run mid-day.  If you need to go there early morning or late night, I guess you have to just wait for half an hour and if a bus doesn't show up, then walk or take a cab.

34 minutes ago, Smolensk said:

It says the shuttle buses will run every 15 minutes.  This information is also on the museum web sites.

Unfortunately, it doesn't say anywhere what hours these buses will run.  It's a pretty safe bet that the shuttles will run mid-day.  If you need to go there early morning or late night, I guess you have to just wait for half an hour and if a bus doesn't show up, then walk or take a cab.

If you click on the Details and Map for 146, it says:

Jun 29 - Jul 5 (8pm Thu to 6am Wed or completion)
#146 service will operate in two sections.

#146 buses will operate between Broadway/Berwyn and Roosevelt/State, only. Shuttle buses will replace service between Roosevelt/State and the Adler Planetarium.

Customers looking to travel to the Museum Campus during this time may either walk three blocks east from Roosevelt/State, or make connections with #146 shuttle buses, which will depart from Roosevelt/State.

Jul 1 – 2 - Race Weekend (7am Sat to 10pm Sun)
#146 buses will operate to/from Wacker/Columbus, only.

Southbound buses will operate via Michigan, and Wacker, ending their trips at Columbus/Wacker. Northbound buses will be rerouted under CTA supervisor instructions via nearby streets, depending on traffic conditions. Northbound buses will continue to make normal stops after Wacker.

Customers looking to travel to the Museum Campus during this time must take a 95th-bound Red Line train from Lake to Roosevelt, then make a connection with #146 shuttle buses, which depart from Roosevelt/State.

One would assume that normal 146 times apply.

19 hours ago, Smolensk said:

Yeah I saw that and I wasn't sure how reliable the busses were because there are no hours.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:13 PM, Busjack said:

Carter was just on NBC5 and said Taylor Swift was the highest ridership of the year, and CTA is gearing up for the same for NASCAR.

Probably will be the same for the Beyoncé concert coming up in a couple of weeks as well, if not more.

3 hours ago, strictures said:

I really doubt it!  She doesn't have the insane following like the Swifties!

Yes and no. Bo because the Swiftness are still pretty young.  Beyonce may not have the younger audience like Taylor, but she definitely will fill up Soldier Field with 34 year old  plus.  There will be people in their 50s and even 60s there.  So while the demographics will skew older and probably more African American,  it will still be insane with a very heavy female presence.   Otherwise it wouldn't be at Soldier Field. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:07 PM, Jackson232 said:

Yeah I saw that and I wasn't sure how reliable the busses were because there are no hours.

Whenever CTA cuts 146 into two sections for an event like they did for NASCAR, the standard has always been that the shuttle operates with the very same hours that the 146 normally operates within the vicinity of the Museum Campus. This is true whether the shuttle supplements both the 130 and the 146 or just the 146 alone. They've been doing it that way for so long, that it's now understood that that is the case without them posting shuttle hours. This is also why the shuttle is referred to as the 146 shuttle on 130 alerts as well as the 146 alerts.